Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUigH5PGaHM[/video]

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Haelfix said:
herios said:
For me, it is a shame. Novak is supposed to be the best returner and not finding ANY solutions to Dr. Ivo' serves is disturbing to me.

Novak has never returned the super fast servers as well as say Federer or Murray, he really does most of his damage on second serve returns that aren't quite up to par, and the Ivo's of the world make it really hard on him. Roddick and people like that used to really bother him. In fact, anyone that really plays old school blitz tennis can often overpower him if they're having a big day.

I know this very well. He has now 2 loses to each John Isner and also Karlovic. On another note, Karlovic sucks as a returner and still was able to break Nole....Meh

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
herios said:
1972Murat said:
nehmeth said:
Nole goes down in flames... Dr. Ivo.

Ivo can beat anyone on any given day. Every player will easily acknowledge that. No shame there. Well done Ivo.

For me, it is a shame. Novak is supposed to be the best returner and not finding ANY solutions to Dr. Ivo' serves is disturbing to me.
I don't agree that he's the best returner, I do believe he's one of the best. That being said, even Agassi had a hard time beating Sampras consistently. He always said if Pete is serving lights out, it will be a tough day.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAcN1l5-MIc[/video]

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In reply to some of the posts above, Novak rightly deserves praise as one of the best returners on the tour, often times the best. He hits the return deep and with pace, more like Connors did than Agassi. Against big servers, though, I favor Federer. His BH slice gets many balls back and he can control it even against big hitters. The one guy whose serve as bothered him more than any other (although not fast) is Nadal's, but this is all part of the unique set of problems Rafa presents for Rog. I think Federer has defused more Ivos, Roddicks and Raonic-like servers, with greater ease, than Djokovic has over the years. Perhaps it is merely my impression and the stats do not back me up, but those are my two cents. Day in and day out against all servers taken as a whole, however, I guess Novak does more damage than Fed and gets my vote as the top returner in today's game.

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Day in and day out against all servers taken as a whole, however, I guess Novak does more damage than Fed and gets my vote as the top returner in today's game.

For sure. The majority of the difference between returners in the modern game is how well you break 2nd serve. Which can be quite large, like on the order of 20% or more between someone like Raonic and Djokovic. And on that criteria, there are a lot of better returners than Federer out there. If you could subtract off baseline play from that stat, you would almost surely find an even greater disparity between Novak and Roger (and its already like on the order of 10%).

Roger just has a great deal of resilience against the big servers b/c he counterpunches on the return so well. However there are quite a few others out there than do that just as well. Nishikori, Ferrer, Murray all have great return of first serves and all do well against big servers on the 2nd as well.

Perhaps once upon a time, Roger could be said to have a good return (although it was limited against the spinny stuff as Nadal showed) but its really not been a strength of his game for quite some time. He hasn't been over 30% in return game won since like 2006.

I personally think Murray has the best pure return, but its definitely close between him and Novak

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nole is out of his shoes, very disappointed by him

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Since we're talking about ROS. I really like Nishi's.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Meanwhile, Dr. Ivo continues his good form. Takes the opening breaker over Daveed.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Daveed fights back and wins the next 2 tie breakers and claims his spot in the final.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wT1ukI_l4Y[/video]

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Daveed fights back and wins the next 2 tie breakers and claims his spot in the final.

What a surprise? Only three tie-breakers in Ivo's match. :lolz:

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6Txf53-cU[/video]

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal/Monaco d Knowle/Oswald 63 64 to win the doubles title at Doha.

Nadal made history at the Qatar Open.Nadal claimed a record fourth Doha doubles title ( 9th career).

Nadal is one of three players to win both singles and doubles titles in Doha,joining Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker.He won his lone singles title last year.Knowle and Oswald,combined 20 ATP World doubles titles,were contesting their first final together.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
Nadal/Monaco d Knowle/Oswald 63 64 to win the doubles title at Doha.

SO, Doha was not really a flop for Rafa. After all he played five matches, four in doubles
and one in singles. That is a reasonable amount of practice making the trip a worthwhile one.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
pavlik89 said:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wT1ukI_l4Y[/video]

The boob job seems to have been a success :D

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
If Berdych had a brain he would be a great tennis player.