2013 Istanbul Championships SF: Serena vs. Jelena

Current #1 vs Previous #1?

• Total voters

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with you, Calvy. Someone mentioned a tweet during the match about the back, but that couldn't have come from Serena. The tennis channel commentators were equally perplexed. And they also said that a players isn't going to admit injury at this stage of a tournament. "Exhaustion" is really the only answer at this point. It's what she said, and, as you say, Calvy, she wasn't demonstrating any specific ache. It's been a long and emotional year. We'll just have to take her at her word until she states otherwise.

Otherwise, Calvy, I do take exception to the notion that Serena doesn't get any of "that" in the US, which you clarified as adoration. I have seen her play live in NYC several times and she is well-loved here by the crowd.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I agree with you, Calvy. Someone mentioned a tweet during the match about the back, but that couldn't have come from Serena. The tennis channel commentators were equally perplexed. And they also said that a players isn't going to admit injury at this stage of a tournament. "Exhaustion" is really the only answer at this point. It's what she said, and, as you say, Calvy, she wasn't demonstrating any specific ache. It's been a long and emotional year. We'll just have to take her at her word until she states otherwise.

Otherwise, Calvy, I do take exception to the notion that Serena doesn't get any of "that" in the US, which you clarified as adoration. I have seen her play live in NYC several times and she is well-loved here by the crowd.
...:nono..only after embolism did they grudgingly embrace her..plus there is no one really in the USA especially after the sisters.
2009 still hurts the most...the way the Americans supported Kim over Venus and Serena ...the gloat on Maria Jose Fernandes face stuck on my mind..
Its good that Serena is having the last laugh....remember that who laughs last laughs best and she is surely having a belly laugh..:lolz:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think what Calvy is saying is she receives love at a different level at Istanbul and Australia that isn't really seen in the US, and I would agree. I think they enjoy her on a level that is kind of sad that she doesn't see that at her home slam. I think it is a split crowd more at the US Open, but then again, I think that mixed love stems from her outbursts she made and people not getting over it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can't judge the level of feeling in Istanbul or Australia, but I can talk about New York. I understand that Serena has had rough experiences at the USO, but that's about line judges and umpires, not about the crowd. I was actually present at the match v. Capriati which is called the catalyst for Hawkeye, due to such bad line calls. And I've seen her at 2-3 other matches at the Open, and the exho in Madison Square Garden last March. You can't tell me that New York doesn't love her, because I've been there.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I think what Calvy is saying is she receives love at a different level at Istanbul and Australia that isn't really seen in the US, and I would agree. I think they enjoy her on a level that is kind of sad that she doesn't see that at her home slam. I think it is a split crowd more at the US Open, but then again, I think that mixed love stems from her outbursts she made and people not getting over it.
even before the outburst there was that certain coldness afforded Venus and Serena.I remember when Venus played Momo...that was a sad day for me to see the crowd cheering on Momo and Navratilova even talked about the diss...

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
even before the outburst there was that certain coldness afforded Venus and Serena.I remember when Venus played Momo...that was a sad day for me to see the crowd cheering on Momo and Navratilova even talked about the diss...

Exactly, Navratilova surmised that, a contributing factor to Serena's outburst in2009 was the crowd's support, or lack of, against Clijster's that day.

Venus said in 2012, she finally felt the love from the crowd that year.

Fact is, I've always noticed the OVERWHELMING response Serena get's in Aussie, and last year I noticed it was even greater in Istanbul, and she made reference she doesn't get that most place she places.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fine, but how much of that crowd support are you interpolating from the TV and commentators? And how much have you experienced first-hand?

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
tossip said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

Exactly, Navratilova surmised that, a contributing factor to Serena's outburst in2009 was the crowd's support, or lack of, against Clijster's that day.

Fact is, I've always noticed the OVERWHELMING response Serena get's in Aussie, and last year I noticed it was even greater in Istanbul, and she made reference she doesn't get that most place she places.
I think at Wimbledon they are tolerated not loved.I guess the Brits maintain the staff upper lip and dont want us to see how much they hate that their money has made the sisters rich.
I remember when they used to play in the finals and then win the doubles finals...thats what caused most of the resentment from fellow players ,media and tennis fans...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tossip said:
Calvy said:
tossip said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

I think at Wimbledon they are tolerated not loved.I guess the Brits maintain the staff upper lip and dont want us to see how much they hate that their money has made the sisters rich.
I remember when they used to play in the finals and then win the doubles finals...thats what caused most of the resentment from fellow players ,media and tennis fans...

This is base on what?

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
tossip said:
Calvy said:
tossip said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

This is base on what?
goodnight Mox..:idea: ..you are now very groggy..:cry

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Fine, but how much of that crowd support are you interpolating from the TV and commentators? And how much have you experienced first-hand?

It's not very difficult to hear the difference on tv, also whether I watch it on tv or live, the fact is, the player HERSELF has stated as much regarding the support she gets depending where she's competing.

So, you tell me, do you think you know better than the player whom is on that stadium court?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I searched for it and found nothing to back what you're saying. Can you cite to me where she says she doesn't get support in the US as you state?

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I searched for it and found nothing to back what you're saying. Can you cite to me where she says she doesn't get support in the US as you state?

all u have to do is watch her semi match from last year in Istanbul, I believe it was that one, where gives on court interview and she states that she doesn't get as that level of support often.

Also, I never stated she doesn't get support in the US.