27. Elina Svitolina
28. Caroline Garcia
29. Ekaterina Alexandrova
30. Yulia Putintseva
31. Katie Boulter
32. Dayana Yastremska

us-open-tournament-page-2021.jpg

The Tournament:

The US Open Tennis Championships, commonly called the US Open, is a hardcourt tennis tournament held annually in Queens, New York. Since 1987, the US Open has been chronologically the fourth and final Grand Slam tournament of the year, except for 2020. The other three, in chronological order, are the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon. The US Open starts on the last Monday of August and continues for two weeks, with the middle weekend coinciding with the US Labor Day holiday. The tournament is one of the oldest tennis championships in the world, originally known as the U.S. National Championship, for which men's singles and men's doubles were first played in August 1881. It is the only Grand Slam that was not affected by cancellation of World War I and World War II or interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.

About New York City:

New York, often called New York City or NYC, is the most populous city in the United States. With a 2020 population of 8,804,190 distributed over 300.46 square miles (778.2 km2), New York City is the most densely populated major city in the United States. The city is more than twice as populous as Los Angeles, the nation's second-largest city. New York City is situated at the southern tip of New York State. Situated on one of the world's largest natural harbors, New York City comprises five boroughs, each of which is coextensive with a respective county. The five boroughs, which were created in 1898 when local governments were consolidated into a single municipality, are: Brooklyn (Kings County), Queens (Queens County), Manhattan (New York County), the Bronx (Bronx County), and Staten Island (Richmond County). New York City is a global city and a cultural, financial, high-tech, entertainment, glamor, and media center with a significant influence on commerce, health care and scientific output in life sciences, research, technology, education, politics, tourism, dining, art, fashion, and sports. Home to the headquarters of the United Nations, New York is an important center for international diplomacy, and it is sometimes described as the world's most important city and the capital of the world.

Unisphere_at_night_(cropped).jpg

Tourism Guide:

• Love
Reactions: AnonymousFan

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
New York City and Chicago--the big two in the USA for over a century. We have tennis and the DNC happening in each, respectively.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have done the projected paths for Swiatek, Sabalenka and Gauff to the final,

Swiatek ,
R1 Q
R2 Saville/Q
R3 Pavs/Cocciaretto
R4 Mirra Andreeva/Samsonova
QF Pegula/Collins
SF Rybakina/Ostapenko
F Sabalenka/Gauff/Zheng

Sabalenka
R1 Q
R2 Bronzetti/Sun
R3 Alexandrova/Linette
R4 Jabeur/Keys/Kudermetova
QF Zheng/Ksatkina
SF Gauff/Navarro
F. Swiatek/Rybakina/Collins

Gauff, defending champion,
R1 Gracheva
R2 Maria/Q
R3 Svitolina/Kalinina
R4 Navarro/Kostyuk
QF Krejickova/Badosa/Azarenka/Sakkari
SF Sabalenka/Zneng/Vekic/Kasatkina
F Swiatek/Rybakina/Collins/Paolini

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Projected paths to the QF ( by seeds)
Swiatek (1) vs Pegula (6)
Sabalenka (2) vs Zheng (7)
Gauff (3) vs Krejcikova (8)
Rubakina (4) vs Paolini (5)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Matches to watch in R1 Ostapenko v Osaka, Paolini v Andreescu, Raducanu v Kenin, Zheng v Anisimova

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I wont be posting anymore on the womens game at TF, so this will be the last time I do draws, projections at GS, WTA news, and rankings, I want to concentrate more on the mens game. I will still keep an keen interest in the womens game, post time to time on the womens game.
For what it is worth, Sabalenka is my pick to win the title, her form at Cincy, not losing a set to the final, and her serve was just Impressive! going into the USO
I would also like to see Gauff have a good USO tournament, she is the defending champion, to me defending your GS title is harder than when you win your first GS title, hopefully her run of poor results of late, Coco can put them behind her at the USO, she is just too good of an athlete not to be able to find her game again!

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay seeing this is just Breaking News, I better post it, no rest for the 'wickard' lol!

Ons Jabeur has just withdrawn I would say her shoulder injury is not 100%
Jabeur will be replaced on the line 120 bu the next highest ranked eligible to be seeded
Mertens will be replaced on the 35 line by a Q/LL, Mertens will become the No 33 seed

The Bottom Half of the womens draw will start on Monday
The Top Half of the womens draw will start on Tuesday

Over and Out from Me :)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I posted that about 1 hour ago and deleted it here, I am glad you posted it,, as I am not going to post full time on the WTA anymore, other posters on the WTA can post current news for the USO or on the WTA News post, she has pushed her body to the limits and she play against Jess Pegula on Tuesday on Ashe
Elena Rybakina has sacked her coach of 5 years, days before the USO, as yet no news of a new coach, that news was yesterday.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing I have some time up my sleeve. Here are some interesting stats for the up coming matches at the USO,
1. Andreescu at 12-2 (.857) holds the best winning percentage in womens singles at the USO in the Open Era among active players with more than 10 matches.

2. No one has hit more winners (409) and converted more break points (80) in the 3 Grand Slam events this year than Jasmine Paolini .Andreescu and Paolini meet in the first round.

3. Elena Rybaina is the leader in aces, with 85

4. Three active players have reached multiple USO finals, Osaka (2-0) Woznicacki (0-2) Azaraenka (0-3)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As I posted a couple of days ago Rybakina parted with her coach of 5 years, Vukov, I saw her in practice today and found out her temporary coach at NYC is Yuri Schukin, Head of Kazakhstan Davis Cup,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Happy USO everyone!

Just scouting at some ladies matches before I settled in on the mens matches

Geez Segi Bruguera,Maria Sakkari's (9) new coach has a lot of work to do with her down 2- 5 against Yang
Yang won the 1st set 62
Sakkari has the physio, she has been struggling with neck and shoulder issues, she might retire after losing the 1st set? Maria and 1st rds in GS tournaments Its A Curse for Maria!
Sakkari has retired 2-6 against Yang. No wonder Maria was struggling in her match, Yang was playing well. Hopefully these neck and shoulder issues will heal quickly for Maria
BTW Maria has a big cache of 1000 points to defend in a couple of weeks in Gualadajara
Amanda Anisimova a player I love to watch, such a pure ball striker is leading Zheng (7) 5-2, Zheng has picked up her game and now level in the 1st set 4 all, she has to continue to play first strike tennis against Amanda who has to watch her margins in this match up.Zheng is broken by Amanada poor service game, after coming back from being 2-5 down. Anisimova 1st set 64, Zheng won the 2nd set 64, going 3 sets, ( I am just SB the match now)
Zheng wins the match 46 64 62!

Elina Svitolina (27) in a bit of trouble down 2-5 against Carle
Carle won the 1st set 63 over Elina, Elina won 2nd set 63, she has been having foot troubles and has had the physio out in her match.
Svitolina wins the match 36 63 64

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched some of this match,
Good to see Paula Badosa continue her solid form of late with a 60 63 win over Golubic!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Super win from the 3rd youngest woman in the draw, from Aussie qualifer Maya Joint wins her Grand Slam Debut with a 64 75 over Laura Siegemund!

Status
Not open for further replies.