US OPEN 2018, Flushing Meadows, NY, USA, GRAND SLAM (Women)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DATE: August 27 - September 9, 2018
SURFACE: HARD
FIELD SIZE: 128
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Sloane Stephens

The Seeds:

1. Simona Halep
2. Caroline Wozniacki
3. Sloane Stephens
4. Angelique Kerber
5. Petra Kvitová
6. Caroline Garcia
7. Elina Svitolina
8. Karolína Plíšková
9. Julia Görges
10. Jeļena Ostapenko
11. Daria Kasatkina
12. Garbiñe Muguruza
13. Kiki Bertens
14. Madison Keys
15. Elise Mertens
16. Venus Williams
17. Serena Williams
18. Ashleigh Barty
19. Anastasija Sevastova
20. Naomi Osaka
21. Mihaela Buzărnescu
22. Maria Sharapova
23. Barbora Strýcová
24. CoCo Vandeweghe
25. Daria Gavrilova
26. Aryna Sabalenka
27. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
28. Anett Kontaveit
29. Dominika Cibulková
30. Carla Suárez Navarro
31. Magdaléna Rybáriková
32. Maria Sakkari

DSC_0012.jpg

The Tournament:

The US Open Tennis Championships is a hardcourt tennis tournament that began life as the U.S. National Championship in 1881.

The venue for the championship is the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, Corona Park, Queens, New York City. It's former home was the Forest Hills complex.

The tournament consists of men's and women's singles, men's and women's doubles, and mixed doubles, with additional tournaments for senior, junior, and wheelchair players.

The US Open is the only Grand Slam that employs tiebreakers in every set of a match.

DSC_0017.jpg

About New York

Beyond everything you already know about New York, it is a city of islands and not just its most famous one, Manhattan. Quaint City Island, iconic and outrageous Coney Island, suburban Randall's Island, historic Governor's Island, once a military fortress, then a Coast Guard base and now a city park dedicated to installation art. The city is surrounded by waterways. Marinas abound, and many New Yorkers commute via ferry.

We embrace summer here, as it is rather short. There are beautiful beaches within the city limits. And we don't always eat posh food. Summer is for Long Island oysters, steamer clams, lobster rolls, and hot dogs. Nathan's Famous in Coney Island on the boardwalk is the one to eat.

As the summer winds down, Fashion Week begins. The lazy days are soon to be over, and attitude will come back in full force.
4925063648_790f964714_z.jpg
coney-island-wallpaper-2.jpg
rockawaybeach-1000x678.jpg

054014900_1455251027-20160212-new-york-fashion-week-pia-alonzo-wurtzbach-afp-reuters2.jpg

Tourism video:

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Garcia-Konta first round. That's brutal.

Woz-Sam Stosur.... ouch.

Other tough outs... Sabalenka v Collins, Kasatkina v Babos

Reactions: golds girl

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Venus talks some US Open:

[parsehtml]

<a class="embedly-card" href="http://www.espn.com.au/tennis/story/_/id/24453630/us-open-tennis-always-forward-thinking-venus-williams-not-worried-poor-results-season">Always forward thinking, Venus Williams not worried about poor results this season</a>

[/parsehtml]
Serena and Venus could meet in the third round.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
is Zvonareva back ? i'm not sure but I heard the news

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
is Zvonareva back ? i'm not sure but I heard the news

Indeed she is but she's still trying to qualify - today she's playing at 1.00 PM EDT
L. Zhu (CHN) [12] vs. V. Zvonareva (RUS) [24]

And Zvonareva won 62 46 75 in a match where Zvonareva were behind in third set. So she's now in the main draw - welcome back to her.

Here are some funny emojis

Last edited:
Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Simona beginning to feel like the real Number One.

[parsehtml]
<a class="embedly-card" href="https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-tennis-usopen-presser-halep/halep-finally-feels-like-a-real-world-number-one-idUKKCN1L927Y">Halep finally feels like a real world number one</a>
[/parsehtml]

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I hope Serena digs in and at least finds a way to be competitive. It seems like in her matches she is out on the court not necessarily to win. It’s like this I tried, and not an I tried to win attitude. I mean I don’t expect her to really find her mojo until next year, but it would at least be nice to see her be fierce in losing if she has to lose.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I’m not convinced Serena is totally committed to tennis. Priorities change when you become a mom. She may decide to have another baby. I wouldn’t be shocked if she left the sport.

Who’s the favorite to win? Kerber?