Upset Corner - RG 2018 Edition

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is the first time Shapo got seeded at a GS and he did not live up to his seeding.
I've been complaining that Shapo is a messy and impulsive player. This doesn't work on clay, especially. I really like him for the future, but he needs discipline and point construction in his game. Just bashing won't get it done. He is the least-subtle player of all the up-and-comers.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I've been complaining that Shapo is a messy and impulsive player. This doesn't work on clay, especially. I really like him for the future, but he needs discipline and point construction in his game. Just bashing won't get it done. He is the least-subtle player of all the up-and-comers.

No, Rublev is even worst (subtlelty wise), and that is exactly why I like him.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What I like the most about Shapovalov is how he analyzes himself. Very realistic and down to earth.
He will go a long way because of that. Yesterday he served poorly for example and he knows it. He will have to work on that.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Dzumhur is serving for the match, but looks like Zverev will break back.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Novak beating RBA is technically an upset as well and so we got three today.

Up to recently, any match won by Nole was an upset! His heart just didn't seem to be in it at times; heaven knows he wasn't scaring anyone until Rome! I was rather impressed by his effort against Nadal and pushed him around quite a bit! He wasn't going to win, but I'm hopeful for the future and look forward to his advancing in the tournament! He has his pigeons and rarely loses to them, but this isn't the same Djokovic! It's looking good for him in the next round, but that's why they call them upsets! :whistle: :oops: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Also Evans beaten by Fog (although the difference in their seedings is a mere two).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also Evans beaten by Fog (although the difference in their seedings is a mere two).
Is a difference of two in rankings ever really an upset? Since the rankings are so "weird," we may have to adjust our notion of what constitutes an upset during this RG, and maybe a bit going forward, no? Interesting point from @Mastoor that Djokovic and Verdasco are the lowest ranked players left in the men's draw.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Upset alert! Goffin, my finalist pick, is down 2 sets to 1 and just ate a bagel. Embarassing. All against an unseeded opponent.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Diego upset KA.

Out of the top 8 seeds, 5 lived up to their rankings, 3 did not: Dimitrov, Anderson and Goffin.
This is an improvement of the top 8 over the last 2 slams.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
When an upset does not make it here, it is a huge upset. Go Marco! :clap:

Get them all like Osta did last year.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
awful upset for Nole, very disappointing even more than last year

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Marco for his performance, has pocketed at least US$650,000, which compared to his career earnings since 2010 of less than a $1m, is a financial upset although not unprecedented (I think Janowicz's run to the SF of wimby boosted his coffer in similar proportion). But If Marco he goes further into at least SF, he'll earn more money here than he did in his entire life so far which would likely be unprecedented in recent slam history.

Reactions: mrzz