Upset Corner - 2018 USO Edition

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
OCO, he's definitely styling like Fed! Put a bag over their heads, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart hitting against a backboard! The problem is Grigor hasn't taken that next step beyond just looking like his idol, he doesn't play the proper shot at crucial times! I still shrink in horror thinking about a loss he had against Murray in a Masters a few years ago; probably Cincy with Dimitrov being 2 points away several times and double breaks in 2 of the 3 sets! He was playing out of his mind to get his lead, but when it got to the end, he couldn't close the deal missing the simplest of shots! Murray knew with this generation of players, there's always a chance they'll give it to you and it happens all too often! Heaven knows the record book will look ridiculous with 4 players owning the tour for well over a decade! I had high hopes for Grigor and you see flashes of it winning his 1st Masters last season and actually taking the YEC; sans Nole, Stan, & Andy! Nadal even WD after his 1st round match! The RB will still include his name up with Djokovic, Federer, & Murray! I thought he'd arrive, but he's been really unlucky to get a resurgent Stan in consecutive matches losses! That'll stunt Dimitrov and he probably won't be able to defend his YEC title! Sharapova ruined him! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :eek: :rolleyes:
Sharapova did not ruined him. His best results came last year when he was long time past Maria.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Two more to the list: Stefanos and Jack Sock are out today.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Carreno Busta is another one.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Chung also eliminated.

Remember a few months ago when Chung was the flavor of the month and some were whispering "the next Novak?" I thought that was quite overblown then, and it seems that has been borne out.

He's a good player but it remains to be seen whether he'll be a top 10 fixture or more of a top 20ish type. I suspect something in the Nishikori vein, although presumably with some actual big titles. I don't see a multi-Slam winner, though.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
D minor up two sets to none against Cilic, a former US Open champ.

D minor progresses much faster in slams than Sasha.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Was anyone shocked by Zverev losing. Like. I expected him to pull it out. But I've been watching Kohlschreiber for 10+ years and he's still around because he ain't no slouch. And Zverev has never done well here yet. I just thought that it was possible. Zverev, for all his power and movement and solid play, still has a lot to learn. Especially on hard courts. Far from his best surface. Yes he beat Fed in Canada last year. But his other masters titles and best play comes on the clay. That's his best.

On the other hand, I just do not have the patience for everyone who doesn't have the patience for these young guys to do well in slams. And while I'm not a fan of his so I don't really want to see him do well, I'll take the time to say Zverev is incredibly talented. This young group of guys has a better chance of taking over because Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray (and Wawrinka and DelPo) are all older now than when Dimitrov and Nishikori and Raonic and Goffin and those guys showed up. But also because they all have more talent (or in Nishikori's case, aren't only 5'11" and made of glass). But still don't expect any of the big 4, but especially Nadal, Djokovic or Murray to give up the ghost any time soon.

But. It's like we have to constantly remind everyone that Fed, Nadal and Djokovic are once in a lifetime people. Who got the benefit of being in a serious transition time in tennis. I mean, to an extent, they made it a transition time. But the game was also there for the taking. Safin was never gonna be dominant. Pete's back gave out and he retired at the end of 2002. Hewitt was fast and great at defense but simply didn't have the offensive power to hang with Fed once he was no longer a teenager. Still Federer struggled at the slams at first, but not for as long as some of these guys. He made the 3rd and 4th round very quickly. BUT he lost in the first round of Wimbledon 3 out of his first 4 years with the one year he didn't being the year he beat Pete and went to the quarters, after going to the French quarters that year (2001) and showing everyone what the future held. But it's so important to say that Fed struggled to gain ground for much the same reason that these young guys struggle to gain ground. More of the previous generations top players were still healthy enough to be winning and going deep at the slams. Fed played his first slam in 1999. Agassi dominated 1999. Pete took back over in 2000. Rafter. Ivanesevic. Courier was still playing. Chang too. Todd Martin. Kafelnikov. Rios. Brugera. Guga. Stich. Moya. Pioline. Henman. Rusedski. And then you had the young Hewitt. Plus more.

These kids today have the big 4. Wawrinka. DelPo. Cilic (who is part of Dimitrov, Raonic; but doesn't feel like it). Nishikori. The previous group of guys we thought would take over. And these older grizzled veterans who can go longer than ever because of racket tech and string tech and better physios and training. They can make their games better over the years. They've been at this 10 to 15 years longer than these guys. You can't just expect them to show up and blow everyone out of the water. It's ridiculous. We're basing these kids off of the big 4. And I've already spoken about Fed. Let's do Nadal.

THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER RAFA NADAL! I'm not saying there will never be another teenage slam champion. But the level of clay mastery that Nadal had at just 19 is simply unfathomable. He won the 6th slam he played. And never lost in the first round of a slam until 2013 Wimbledon. But all of that was made possible by his level on clay. One of a kind.

Djokovic again. Once in a generation. At least, he's supposed to be. He turned pro 7 years after Fed. Is 6 years younger. And only a year younger than Nadal. Not even. But these three playing at the same time just isn't supposed to happen. So of course it's going to make it nearly impossible for even incredibly talented teenager to break in. So it's a thing where, basing these new guys off of the big 4 or big 3 is ridiculous and also, those big 3 and 4 are still playing, with all the other seasoned pros, and it's just insane to wonder why these kids can't break through.

Dominic Thiem is a great example. It took him longer to get into grand slam play. He was 20. Started in 2014. But his first four losses were 19th seed Anderson at the AO, NADAL in the second round at the French, Saville, a qualifier at Wimbledon in 1st round (doesn't fit my narrative) and Berdych in the 4th round at the USO. Berdych ranked 6th at the time. Yes, Thiem made the 4th round of the US Open at the first time of asking. Coric and Zverev. Coric lost in qualifying once before qualifying at his second time of asking. Zverev qualified at his fourth time of asking. Coric lost to Estrella Burgos in 2r. No one special. But a Veteran who had spent his life trying to make the top 100. Then Chardy in 1r of 2015 AO. And 3rd round to Sock at 2015 French (would have had to play Nadal in 4r if he'd won). Zverev's first main draw and 1r loss was 2015 Wimbledon. Lost to Kudla. Another journeyman. But he's been around a while by 2015. Qualified a lot. Played a lot. Coric, at this tournament lost to seeded Seppi in the 2r. After taking two of 3 sets, lost 6-1 and 6-1 in the 4th and 5th sets. Seppi a really solid grass court player. At the US Open Coric lost to Nadal in the first round and Zverev lost to seeded Kohlschreiber. AND we've come full circle. So I'll end it there.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
On one hand I am happy for Phillip, on the other I wanted Nole to beat Zverev in the semifinal.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Remember a few months ago when Chung was the flavor of the month and some were whispering "the next Novak?" I thought that was quite overblown then, and it seems that has been borne out.

He's a good player but it remains to be seen whether he'll be a top 10 fixture or more of a top 20ish type. I suspect something in the Nishikori vein, although presumably with some actual big titles. I don't see a multi-Slam winner, though.
Do not forget he had a very serious ankle injury.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
It only mattered in the old days when you got extra pts for wins over seeded players! Nole would've cleaned up; '15 w/ 30+ top 10 wins! :rolleyes:

I wanted Nole to equalise h2h with Zverev

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wanted Nole to equalise h2h with Zverev
See how this happens? You'll be crying down the road that Novak was old when Zverev owns him, in the end.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mr Vavrinec beaten by Millman