Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 4: Wednesday, May 29

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 4

This Monfils v. Gulbis is a scorcher. Monfils was serving for the 3rd set with 40-0, but Ernie got back in, and we're still playing the 3rd...5-5 deuce.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions

So Monfils is on to the 3R where he'll face Tommy Robredo. After that its either Seppi or Almagro in the 4R, both of whom are beatable, so it looks like Monfils has a good chance of making it to the QF where he'll likely face David Ferrer (unless Raonic manages to beat Ferrer). My guess is his run ends there.

I do hope Monfils has a nice run...it's really good to see him playing so well, and with such commitment.

justapasserby

Reactions

I'm glad fed's proving that he indeed has a cupcake draw for the moment :D

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions

Roger's draw was cupcake in the first two rounds but he's got Benneteau next, then probably Simon. After that its Tsonga and then Ferrer (or possibly Monfils). Could be grueling from here on out.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

El Dude said:
Roger's draw was cupcake in the first two rounds but he's got Benneteau next, then probably Simon. After that its Tsonga and then Ferrer (or possibly Monfils). Could be grueling from here on out.

Your guy is fine. I think he has a cupcake draw till the finals, with the exception of facing Tsonga who seems to be inspired and determined to do well this year. Benneteau on clay? I am surprised he even made it this far. Simon? No way he will challenge Fed. Also, Federer is 14-0 against Ferrer. Monfils won't make it past Ferrer I think (although I hope so).

Biggest concern (or hope in my case) is Tsonga. I think he can beat Federer this year. He played decent today against Nieminen and was quite critical of his game afterwards. Seems like he is focussed and has bigger things in mind this year.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions

Robredo comes back from two sets down to win while both Seppi and Benneteau hold on in five after winning the first two sets.
Seems like all three guys are always playing five setters at majors.

SF Nadalite

Club Member
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
At the very least, Gael might get arrested by the fashion police. I swear, you have to be not only French, but Monfils to pull off that outfit he wore yesterday...and I'm still not quite sure he did.

Great match today - at least until the 4th set, but you can kinda-sorta cut Gulbis some slack on the fade away...

I could help but howl when Monfils came on court with the same shirt, but only he was wearing them in reverse order as he did yesterday! :laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing

I'm guessing it must have been really cold (and he didn't feel like taking off the top shirt to put on the underlayer), but it still was really funny...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

I. Haychew said:
Robredo comes back from two sets down to win while both Seppi and Benneteau hold on in five after winning the first two sets.
Seems like all three guys are always playing five setters at majors.

Don't remind me, I had good money on Robredo going down and a parlay with Seppi losing too. I do look forward to Fed pummeling Benneteau though!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

SF Nadalite said:
Moxie629 said:
At the very least, Gael might get arrested by the fashion police. I swear, you have to be not only French, but Monfils to pull off that outfit he wore yesterday...and I'm still not quite sure he did.

Great match today - at least until the 4th set, but you can kinda-sorta cut Gulbis some slack on the fade away...

I could help but howl when Monfils came on court with the same shirt, but only he was wearing them in reverse order as he did yesterday! :laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing

I'm guessing it must have been really cold (and he didn't feel like taking off the top shirt to put on the underlayer), but it still was really funny...

I saw that, too. At least explains the wardrobe malfunction. And yes, I guess Gulbis used up all his fight trying to get the 3rd set. That was some dogfight!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Denisovich said:
El Dude said:

Your guy is fine. I think he has a cupcake draw till the finals, with the exception of facing Tsonga who seems to be inspired and determined to do well this year. Benneteau on clay? I am surprised he even made it this far. Simon? No way he will challenge Fed. Also, Federer is 14-0 against Ferrer. Monfils won't make it past Ferrer I think (although I hope so).

Biggest concern (or hope in my case) is Tsonga. I think he can beat Federer this year. He played decent today against Nieminen and was quite critical of his game afterwards. Seems like he is focussed and has bigger things in mind this year.

Tsonga figures to be the biggest threat in Roger's half. That said one slam loss to Tsonga was more than enough and the fact that this last AO quarter went 5 was poor too.

Fed playing decent is an absolute nightmare for Tsonga as the latter's only chance is getting into a great rhythm and blasting Fed off the court with just his serve and forehand. If Tsonga doesn't get in the rhythm (ie Fed gets a lot back in play and doesn't serve meatballs to the Tsonga forehand) then he will look silly.

Hopefully Fed doesn't trip up the next few rounds and burn energy because that could even get him in trouble vs. Ferrer if they are to meet.