Roland Garros Day 7: Saturday, May 31 - Order of Play

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Match of the Day for Day 7 for me is Kohli vs. Murray. Really hoping Kohli can step it up and take Andy out. They have only ever played each other once, and it was on clay - Kohli won 2 and 1 (Monte Carlo, 2010).

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Moose said:
Match of the Day for Day 7 for me is Kohli vs. Murray. Really hoping Kohli can step it up and take Andy out. They have only ever played each other once, and it was on clay - Kohli won 2 and 1 (Monte Carlo, 2010).

I could have won that match against Andy he was that bad. MC 2010 was a long time ago.

I think Lenglen has the best schedule. Stunned that Monfils.v Fognini isn't on PC.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Yep me to,considering Monfils is French......though I have always thought the French have a twisted sense of humour............

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kohlschreiber is the kind of opponent who can blow Murray off the court on clay if Andy is in his confusion mode (confusion with regards to how he should approach a match on clay). Kolhshreiber punishes short balls and the extra time he's going to have on clay will allow him to hold his own in CC backhand exchanges as he'll have a split second longer to line up his bullet backhand.

Could be a banana peel for Murray, but I hope he navigates.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Kohli - Murray is about a tossup on this surface. Andy isn't and never was anything on clay so this is one of those solid players that has a very good chance to take him out.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
^ Yep me to,considering Monfils is French......though I have always thought the French have a twisted sense of humour............

I guess it was always going to be the Nadal match + either Gasquet v Verdasco OR Monfils v Fognini on Chatrier. I'm surprised they picked the Gasquet match though.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
I think Kohli - Murray is about a tossup on this surface. Andy isn't and never was anything on clay so this is one of those solid players that has a very good chance to take him out.

Nobody seems to have much faith in my boy. I'm saying Murray wins.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Iona16 said:
DarthFed said:

I want andy to win..its going to happen.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Iona16 said:
DarthFed said:

Up until a month or so ago, Kohli was in a horrible slump but he put it together recently and won a clay tournament and stuff, so that would be the only reason I do not give Andy a free pass in this round. But I still think Andy wins. He is getting better.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought Murray played his best match of the year against Rafa in Rome,despite losing.
I feel Murray will win against Koli.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
fashionista said:
I thought Murray played his best match of the year against Rafa in Rome,despite losing.

Me, too. I don't think most would really consider Kohly other than a potentially tricky day.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
Iona16 said:
DarthFed said:

Kohli will be no match for Sir Andy.
Andy in 4

Upset will be one of the Frenchmen falling, but which one? Monfils or Gasquet?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kiu said:
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
Iona16 said:
DarthFed said:

Kohli will be no match for Sir Andy.
Andy in 4

Upset will be one of the Frenchmen falling, but which one? Monfils or Gasquet?

Good chance they both get through, as they're both playing guys with good games, but unreliable heads, and they'll have the French crowd. Although Fognini has the recent credibility on clay, Monfils is a bit on fire. Of the two non-Frenchman, I'm inclined to give Verdasco the edge. But everyone is going to be watching Monfils v. Fognini. I hope it's as fun as it ought to be.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
fashionista said:

Me, too. I don't think most would really consider Kohly other than a potentially tricky day.

I was about to say that Murray always loses to some Kohlschreiber in RG, but checked and is the complete opposite:

Here it is:

2012 quarters Ferrer 6-4, 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
2011 semis Nadal 6-4, 7-5, 6-4
2010 fourth Berdych 6-4, 7-5, 6-3
2009 quarters Gonzalez 6-3, 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
2008 third Almagro 6-3 6-7 6-3 7-5
2007 not played
2006 first Monfils 6-4 6-7(2) 1-6 6-2 6-1
2005 semis (but in juniors... got you!)

Lot of good names up there. Much better record than what I tought (given the opposition).

Five long sets. The winner then looses to Gasquet, who by its turn then goes five against Fognini.

Next: lottery numbers.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm looking forward to Gasquet/Verdasco the most. Both have very appealing styles and are capable of playing brilliant tennis if they are on-song. Verdasco has always been an underachiever in my books - very talented but never put the effort in. I remember predicting high things for him after that seminal SF at the AO in '09. Still, he plays very well on clay, so I expect him to challenge an underprepared Gasquet, for sure.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Actually, Verdasco did put the effort in, with Gil Reyes, in '08, which is why he had such a good result in the AO in 09. It lasted for a while, but he went back to his inconsistent ways afterwards. But I'm with you…he may well see of Gasquet tomorrow. I hope so.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I want Murray to win and reach the semifinals so he could gain confidence going into the grass season. But, I also want Murray to reach the semifinals so we could potentially see the Big Four in the semifinals of a Major. The last time that happened was Australian Open 2012 and that was before Murray won two majors...so I want to see it happen!

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wish Gasquet and Murray good luck