Rod Laver: 'Roger Federer could still win a Grand Slam'

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
His lucky star, as much as anything else, is that he's been healthy. Not injured, not sick. Even when he got mono, it was the weakest form any tennis player has had. I do not mean to say that he's been lucky to win tennis matches. That he has done on his own. But he's also lucky in life. He has a partner who helps him in his work, he has 2 sets of twins, against basically all odds. He does live a rather charmed life. There's nothing intended by it. I'm just saying: it's not bad to be Roger Federer.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
His lucky star, as much as anything else, is that he's been healthy. Not injured, not sick. Even when he got mono, it was the weakest form any tennis player has had. I do not mean to say that he's been lucky to win tennis matches. That he has done on his own. But he's also lucky in life. He has a partner who helps him in his work, he has 2 sets of twins, against basically all odds. He does live a rather charmed life. There's nothing intended by it. I'm just saying: it's not bad to be Roger Federer.

Fed has been 'lucky', you are not suggesting that Rafa has been 'unlucky' with injuries right? i think everyone knows the playing style has a lot to do with injuries, and one's own physical attributes. there is no doubt that if Rafa has a light frame like Djoker and plays an effortless style like Fed, he'd be less injury-prone. Then again would he be as effective? i think not.

Reactions: DarthFed

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fed has been 'lucky', you are not suggesting that Rafa has been 'unlucky' with injuries right? i think everyone knows the playing style has a lot to do with injuries, and one's own physical attributes. there is no doubt that if Rafa has a light frame like Djoker and plays an effortless style like Fed, he'd be less injury-prone. Then again would he be as effective? i think not.

Haas has an effortless game too and he's plagued by injuries, Vilas and Borg weren't often injured even if their style was the same as Nadal's one. I guess style has nothing to do with injuries IMO, your body is solid or fragile, that's all

Reactions: Moxie

Tennisproguru.com

Club Member
Reactions
i think that Nadal has bigger chance to win one more grand slam than Federer. Nadal on clay in Paris can beat anyone, but Fed in other three GS when facing Djokovic doesnt have good prospects

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Roger has had his fair share of ailments and illnesses over the years. He does tend to play through them like when he had problems with his back for much of 2013. If that was Rafa he'd have taken time off, probably lots of it. And that doesn't even take into account the difference in playing styles. The way Roger plays there is no reason he should get injured often. Even Novak doesn't get injured that often. Rafa...well you already know I'm shocked the guy could play that style day-in day-out year after year. It's amazing he's lasted as long as he has.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Haas has an effortless game too and he's plagued by injuries, Vilas and Borg weren't often injured even if their style was the same as Nadal's one. I guess style has nothing to do with injuries IMO, your body is solid or fragile, that's all

Nadal plays the game with higher level of intensity than anyone I've ever seen, it's a lot more taxing on the body than when Vilas and Borg played.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Roger has had his fair share of ailments and illnesses over the years. He does tend to play through them like when he had problems with his back for much of 2013. If that was Rafa he'd have taken time off, probably lots of it. And that doesn't even take into account the difference in playing styles. The way Roger plays there is no reason he should get injured often. Even Novak doesn't get injured that often. Rafa...well you already know I'm shocked the guy could play that style day-in day-out year after year. It's amazing he's lasted as long as he has.

Like Fed, Novak is naturally lean and being a more natural ball striker than Nadal he doesn't really dig in physically as deep as Rafa had to.

Nadal runs a naturally aspirated V12 engine, while Fed and Novak are on V4 which are turbo boosted when required.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You and Ricardo sort of assumed I was making the comparison with Rafa, which I wasn't. And I did say I'm not taking away from Roger that he's had some luck. His ailments and injuries have been, up until the knee surgery, not too hampering. He's played every Major since his first one, the AO of 1999. That's 69. It's not all playing style. Isner fell through a glass coffee table once. Haas stepped back onto a ball. Thomas Muster got hit by a drunk driver. This is all bad luck. And I'm not sure how many are going to say that DelPotro's wrist problems are all from hitting the ball too hard. Roger's playing style perfectly synchs to his body's natural biomechanics. That's in part the body you're born with. I'm not detracting in the least from his talent, his hard work or his commitment.

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hmm, who is to say what is really hampering and what is not? At what level is one too hampered? Is one only too hampered if one doesn't play? What if they can't practice or train properly between matches and tournaments? What if one plays on even if hampered, because they don't want to quit, because they know that others, like tournaments and fans are counting on their participation?

What is too hampering for one, may not be for another. Outsiders can only judge by what we are told and perhaps observation.

Roger Federer has had chronic back problems since he was a young teenager.
They prevented him from going into military service, and serving in civil service instead, but would not generally stop him playing tennis at a high level, though they might have certainly hampered him at times.
That's primarily because the military requires a longer duration of activity with extra weight on one's back, something the doctors said he couldn't take..

One can't really say how much his back has affected him in his career. Only he, his family, and maybe some of his team and close friends would know.

Most can only see the rare more severe times, when he has taken the rare MTO, or with the rare withdrawal.
Here is an account of his back injury in 2003 in the round of 16 vs Feli Lopez at Wimbledon, on his way to his first major title. That occurrence would almost be repeated exactly in 2012, against Xavier Malisse.

In less severe situations, some astute observers may guess that something might be bothering him, when parts of his play seem quite a bit off, his serve, his stretching to hit balls on his forehand, etc., but Federer will not usually let on that he was bothered until later, sometimes much later. He's old school.

He played on in 2013, his poorest season since 2001, with only 1 title and 45 match wins in 62 matches in 17 tournaments played, his lowest matches played since his sophomore year in 1999 when he played 14 tournaments and 30 matches.
In 2014, at Indian Wells, he finally gave this detailed description of the prolonged back problems he faced in 2013 since Indian Wells that year.
One should realize that he played on at times in 2013, and other points in his career when he probably should have withdrawn from tournaments, and he said he wasn't going to do it anymore if he didn't feel fit enough to compete.

Since then, he withdrew from a scheduled match due to the back for only the 3rd time in his career, after 1220 matches, to Djokovic in the final of the 2014 World Tour Finals after playing more matches (83) than any player on tour in 2014 at age 33.
He would barely train, but recover enough to play his 84th (losing), and 85th (winning) singles match of the year to help win the Davis Cup. In 2014, he made 11 finals, winning 5 and losing 5, with 1 withdrawal in 17 tournaments played.

He still has 0 retirements in his career after starting a match in 1307 tour level matches.
Nobody in the history of the Open Era has played so many matches without a single retirement. McEnroe had 1 in 1073 singles matches. Edberg? 2 in 1071 matches.
Lucky? Maybe, not to have a very serious debilitating injury that cuts short a career. Determined to finish a match, even through illness or with the body struggling? Absolutely no doubt.

Still, one wonders how good Federer might have been with a good healthy back to start with..
We just don't know. He would have had to take part in military service, and maybe something else would go wrong. Maybe his serve and play would be even better, even more consistent and dominating. Who knows?

But his back hasn't been his only issue, just the chronic one. Recall that he tore ankle ligaments in Oct. 2005, forcing him to miss 3 fall tournaments. His lower leg was in a cast for two weeks, wearing crutches.
But with intense therapy, he came back in November with an ankle brace in an attempt to play in a decimated Master's Cup on the carpet of Shanghai, and saved the tournament from being a total shambles, spectator wise, when Safin & Roddick (backs), Nadal (foot), Hewitt (baby), Agassi (ankle after 1st RR match) had to withdraw.

So Roger played, struggling, but beating Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Coria, each in 3 sets in the RR, he bageled Gaudio in straights in the semis, made it to the best of 5 final against Nalbandian, and lost in a deciding set tiebreaker after being 2 sets ahead..
It was his first loss in a final after winning a record 24 consecutive finals.
He played the next tournaments, 2006 Doha and 2006 Australian Open in the ankle brace and won the titles.
Still wearing the ankle brace in his next tournament, Dubai, he lost to Rafa in the final, breaking his record streak of 56 match wins on hard court.

How serious was his bout of mononucleosis in 2008? He said much later that he had felt extremely fatigued but didn't know why, but played anyway. How many others would have stopped playing? It's difficult to tell if he can put up with a lot more than other players, and continues on anyway with a never-say-die attitude, or maybe his problems are just not as severe.

How many other problems did he have that we don't know about? Maybe he'll write a book and tell us, maybe not.

One can do these "what if" exercises with almost any player.
Every serious athlete, no matter how gifted physically, how smooth, how healthy, has physical and health issues from time to time. Some more than others. Some are more obvious, some less. Some reveal more, some less. Some players stop playing, some play on.

Each player knows more about what has truly hampered them more than we will likely ever know. And from this writer's perspective, that is as it should be.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You and Ricardo sort of assumed I was making the comparison with Rafa, which I wasn't. And I did say I'm not taking away from Roger that he's had some luck. His ailments and injuries have been, up until the knee surgery, not too hampering. He's played every Major since his first one, the AO of 1999. That's 69. It's not all playing style. Isner fell through a glass coffee table once. Haas stepped back onto a ball. Thomas Muster got hit by a drunk driver. This is all bad luck. And I'm not sure how many are going to say that DelPotro's wrist problems are all from hitting the ball too hard. Roger's playing style perfectly synchs to his body's natural biomechanics. That's in part the body you're born with. I'm not detracting in the least from his talent, his hard work or his commitment.

You seem to single out Federer for 'being lucky with injuries', and i would point out that it's not really what it seems and you take things at face value. Sure he didn't retire during a match ever, and i would say he's probably through some matches which other players might've retired. His back issue obviously troubled him enough in 2013 yet he took no time off and copped some shocking results, surely certain players would've chosen to sit out for a few months.

Rafa missed a lot of matches, and i am saying it's not that much of bad luck because to a large degree it's caused by his ultra intense playing style and his physical attributes. Another difference is, Rafa has less options when he's forced to play differently with injuries. Fed can often switch to very different styles and still squeeze out wins while Rafa is more limited, he doesn't get as many cheap points with his serve or can finish the points quickly as often. His defence ability is always a big part of his game, while Fed's doesn't have to be.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Definitely Roger has had some luck during his career. Every single player getting mono has had stop to play because the body doesn't respond properly and they need a lot of rest on the contrary the sickness is getting worse and worse, Roger never stopped playing.... Every single player with problems in the back has to take time off or to go through a surgery, Roger never stopped playing. He just has had a knee surgery now, he was lucky didn't have it before.
And talking about ultra intense playing style I've never seen someone like Novak, his body seems that is going to finish in peaces, legs and arms flying all over, it's obvious that his intensive yoga sessions is helping him a lot but I'm still very surprised that he doesn't get more injuries And something else that has to be a lot with the injuries is the frame of the body, Rafa like his father and uncles have the same type of body, more natural muscles which can affect to get more injuries.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You seem to single out Federer for 'being lucky with injuries', and i would point out that it's not really what it seems and you take things at face value. Sure he didn't retire during a match ever, and i would say he's probably through some matches which other players might've retired. His back issue obviously troubled him enough in 2013 yet he took no time off and copped some shocking results, surely certain players would've chosen to sit out for a few months.

Rafa missed a lot of matches, and i am saying it's not that much of bad luck because to a large degree it's caused by his ultra intense playing style and his physical attributes. Another difference is, Rafa has less options when he's forced to play differently with injuries. Fed can often switch to very different styles and still squeeze out wins while Rafa is more limited, he doesn't get as many cheap points with his serve or can finish the points quickly as often. His defence ability is always a big part of his game, while Fed's doesn't have to be.
I'm not singling out Federer...it's just that he's the subject of this thread. Others who are pretty lucky in their health are: Tomas Berdych, David Ferrer and Feliciano Lopez, amongst the top guys. Also Djokovic is rarely injured, though his health/fitness was an issue prior to 2011. It's not the reason they've done so well, as I've said. But even Feli Lopez has said that he's been lucky to get to 34 without any real physical issues.