SURFACE: Hard
PRIZE MONEY: $1,286,675
FIELD SIZE: 32
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Novak Djokovic

Seeds:

TBD

doha_stadium.jpg

The Tournament:

Founded in 1993, it is one of 2 ATP tournaments in the Middle East. Federer, Murray and Nadal have won multiple titles here.

About Doha

Doha, capital of Qatar, pop. 1.35million, is located on the coast o the Persian Gulf. Once a British protectorate, it was early-on sustained by the pearl trade. However, Qatar is now independent, and described by its oil wealth.

mia_architecture_071214_4548.jpg

QQ-The-Pearl-Qatar-Twitter-edited.jpg

Doha_03.jpg

Tourism Guide:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
That is a major set back to Novak. If he is not able to play after six months off, there is not much chance that he will be successful in the first half of 2018.

mcekovic

Jedi Tennis Data Scientist
Reactions

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Early test for Thiem here... he is not supposed to do well on HC just yet, but I sense he is trying very hard to be a factor off clay. Window of opportunity to start the year with momentum. If I could bet on something, is that Thiem will fight like his life was at stake in this tournament.

Reactions: shawnbm

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Early test for Thiem here... he is not supposed to do well on HC just yet, but I sense he is trying very hard to be a factor off clay. Window of opportunity to start the year with momentum. If I could bet on something, is that Thiem will fight like his life was at stake in this tournament.
Agreed, and I'd give him the edge over Berdych. Odds-makers are no geniuses, as far as I can tell.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Wide open tournament but I wouldn't bet on Thiem to be the one to take advantage. He hasn't shown a pulse off clay.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wide open tournament but I wouldn't bet on Thiem to be the one to take advantage. He hasn't shown a pulse off clay.
Not if you don't count a grass title in Stuttgart and a HC title in Acapulco. Surely that's above no pulse at all. You are very miserly with your praise.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
..but he does need to step up in HC, and I am guessing he knows that damn well, the moment he can face the big guys in HC with half the threat he poses on clay, is the moment he joined their club.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not if you don't count a grass title in Stuttgart and a HC title in Acapulco. Surely that's above no pulse at all. You are very miserly with your praise.

Well that's two more titles than I thought he's had. Anyways don't get so defensive as I can easily point out how "miserly" your praise is for certain players such as Berdych.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well that's two more titles than I thought he's had. Anyways don't get so defensive as I can easily point out how "miserly" your praise is for certain players such as Berdych.
:) Fair enough. I don't think much of Berdych, that's true.

Reactions: DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
:) Fair enough. I don't think much of Berdych, that's true.

I like Thiem's game and he will definitely get better. The question is how much better will he get because he is pretty far off from being a slam contender aside from RG if a lot went his way. There are younger guys who appear to have more potential. Thiem's court position and lack of anticipation are what hurt him most. I was at the match against Ferrer at Cincy last year and he was getting blown off the court.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like Thiem's game and he will definitely get better. The question is how much better will he get because he is pretty far off from being a slam contender aside from RG if a lot went his way. There are younger guys who appear to have more potential. Thiem's court position and lack of anticipation are what hurt him most. I was at the match against Ferrer at Cincy last year and he was getting blown off the court.
I like Thiem ok, but I don't think he'll every be really top-tier. I think he works hard and has a sturdy head, so I agree he'll get better.

Watched the end Coric v. PCB today. Carreño Busta had several match points at different points, but he was a bit too passive, and Coric finally took advantage. Bad loss for Pablo today, but good win for Coric. Nice start to the year. Pablo was the #2 seed.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I like Thiem ok, but I don't think he'll every be really top-tier.

Funny, we have completely opposite views here. The only young player which I am sure will be top tier is Thiem. All the rest I believe it when I see it, including Zverev.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Really? I see way more potential in Zverev. He won two big events past year which is something Thiem has only threatened to do once. Zverev will be the much better player between the two on HC and grass.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Doesn't happen every day, but I agree with Darth. And don't forget that Zverev's first MS 1000 was at Rome on clay. Granted, Djokovic was a no-show in the final, but there was Sasha to scoop it up, not Dominic.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And Berdy loses to a very good Struff in 3rd set TB, so short trip on his return back.

mcekovic

Jedi Tennis Data Scientist
Reactions
Zverev and Thiem are already Top Tier, if you believe in ATP rankings, they are 4 and 5 respectively (3 and 4 are their best rankings, also respectively).
If you believe more in Elo rankings, like me, both Zverev and Thiem are far from Top Tier, they are 11 and 19 (http://www.ultimatetennisstatistics.com/rankingsTable?rankType=ELO_RATING) (with 5 and 6 being their best Elo rankings).
So both had a drop in last third of 2017 and Elo is reflecting it, while ATP rankings still not.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Zverev and Thiem are already Top Tier, if you believe in ATP rankings, they are 4 and 5 respectively (3 and 4 are their best rankings, also respectively).
If you believe more in Elo rankings, like me, both Zverev and Thiem are far from Top Tier, they are 11 and 19 (http://www.ultimatetennisstatistics.com/rankingsTable?rankType=ELO_RATING) (with 5 and 6 being their best Elo rankings).
So both had a drop in last third of 2017 and Elo is reflecting it, while ATP rankings still not.

To put it bluntly they are both fake elite right now. They took great advantage of the injuries last year. But it should be noted that last year's injuries have carried forward to this year so this may be the new status quo. But no, they haven't had the results to be truly elite at this point. Zverev will get there this year IMO.

Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
DATE: JANUARY 01 - 06 2018
SURFACE: Hard
PRIZE MONEY: $1,286,675
FIELD SIZE: 32
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Novak Djokovic

Seeds:

TBD

doha_stadium.jpg

The Tournament:

Founded in 1993, it is one of 2 ATP tournaments in the Middle East. Federer, Murray and Nadal have won multiple titles here.

About Doha

Doha, capital of Qatar, pop. 1.35million, is located on the coast o the Persian Gulf. Once a British protectorate, it was early-on sustained by the pearl trade. However, Qatar is now independent, and described by its oil wealth.

mia_architecture_071214_4548.jpg

QQ-The-Pearl-Qatar-Twitter-edited.jpg

Doha_03.jpg

Tourism Guide:

It looks a lovely place but if you go there you've got to abide by strict rules. It's a nice place to be if you go to see the tennis live as you can sight-see afterwards.