Pre-gaming Wimbledon 2024

Dark horses/spoilers for Wimbledon. They don't have to be your pick to win the tournament.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He will be a tough out no matter who he faces. My fear for him is what I like to call the British plague. I hope he can withstand the pressure we know they will put on him. Every year they get a morsel of a promising player on grass, they stuff it up by turning these kids into headcases (note: Henman, Konta, Robson, etc).
Any player, playing at their GS tournament is under pressure, to perform well, Jack seems pretty level headed, any we will soon find out I guess

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Its a shame FAA at this point isnt even being considered to be dark horse. Felix makes the game more complicated than it needs to be. He has all the tools( BH and FH can go walk about at times) but he should not be regressing. @El Dude with his data analytics and my "I'm gonna stick my tennis racket up yours" attitude could turn his career around. All I ask is that in the off season, Felix will have to train in Colombia or somewhere in South America .. jajajaja

Reactions: El Dude

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Its a shame FAA at this point isnt even being considered to be dark horse. Felix makes the game more complicated than it needs to be. He has all the tools( BH and FH can go walk about at times) but he should not be regressing. @El Dude with his data analytics and my "I'm gonna stick my tennis racket up yours" attitude could turn his career around. All I ask is that in the off season, Felix will have to train in Colombia or somewhere in South America .. jajajaja
I did mention FAA is dangerous on the first page of this post

Reactions: the AntiPusher

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
My final pre-Wimbledon rankings:
  1. Alcaraz
  2. Sinner
  3. Djokovic
  4. Hurkacz
  5. Zverev
  6. Medvedev
  7. Dimitrov
  8. Berrettini
  9. Rune
  10. De Minaur

Honorable mentions: Fritz, Korda, Paul, Ruud, FAA

I'm starting to think that Alcaraz, while being an all-courter, is overall best on grass and has the edge over Sinner on grass and clay, while Sinner has the edge on hards. But they're close enough across the board to make every match of theirs interesting.

In that sense, the draw will be important. Who gets Novak? (assuming he plays and isn't upset). Or rather, who of Sinner and Djokovic get Alcaraz? I just hope that it is Djokovic/Alcaraz so we can possibly see an Alcaraz-Sinner final.

As for the rest, there's a big gap between 3 and 4, with 4-6 grouped together, then 7+. Hurkacz is the guy no one wants to face early on. Zverev is going to be hard to beat until he faces one of the top guys, when he'll inevitably fold. Medvedev's weakest surface of grass, but at this point he almost seems underrated. While he's had his ups and down, he's been really good for most of the last six years and has reached the final of two of the last three Slams.

Dimitrov and Berrettini are guys I hope have good tournaments and I can see one of them making the SF.

Rune...well, we remain in waiting mode. One of these Slams he's going to breakout and go really deep. I suspect it won't be Wimbledon, but rather the US Open. But who knows, if not this year then definitely next...right?

De Minaur is just solid and could reach the QF, but hard to see him going beyond that. The honorable mentions...well, just putting some names out there. The only guy who could theoretically surprise and go deep is FAA, but it seems unlikely.

Reactions: Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Can't say I can see Berrettini or Dimitrov reaching the SF at all. Not a fan of De Minaur but you have to admire how he makes the most of what he has. He's incredibly fast and annoying/tricky to play against. He needs to lose the tache also. It's terrible. I can actually see him getting further than both of them as much as it actually (and it does) disgusts me. I trust his fitness head and shoulders over that of Berrettini and Dimitrov. Berrettini in particular is just unlucky with injuries and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he picked up a sprain/strain there. He doesn't seem a good pick for 5 sets these days. He'd need to be blitzing opponents with aces to get far imo 'cos his backhand is poor and a bad serving day means he's toast if it translates to longer matches.

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think the potential winner of Wimbledon is Alcaraz..hopefully.