Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Is it official?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
From what I read earlier Nadal will go to Paris, which was in English today earlier, he was training with Tallon Griekspoor in Mallorca.after a request from Moya today..Nadal will travel to Paris next week

Last edited:
Reactions: El Dude

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Question for my Nadalite friends: If Rafa wins RG, would you like to see him announce his immediate retirement while hoisting the trophy, or would you prefer he plays on at least through the end of the year (or the USO)?

I know it is hard to ever want "our guy" to call it quits, but I'm just wondering if you'd prefer ending on the best of all notes, or if you'd rather see him play on.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Question for my Nadalite friends: If Rafa wins RG, would you like to see him announce his immediate retirement while hoisting the trophy, or would you prefer he plays on at least through the end of the year (or the USO)?

I know it is hard to ever want "our guy" to call it quits, but I'm just wondering if you'd prefer ending on the best of all notes, or if you'd rather see him play on.
To win a 15th title at RG this year would be the 'icing on the cake' for Rafa and I would personally like to see him announce his retirement in Paris, though I still think ( body permitting)he will play at the Laver Cup in Berlin, where I feel he will call it quits.

Last edited:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
To win a 15th title at RG this year would be the 'icing on the cake' for Rafa and I would personally like to see him announce his retirement in Paris, though I still think ( body permitting)he will play at the Laver Cup in Berlin, where I feel he will call it quits.
Didn't someone mention rumors of Roger coming back to play doubles at Laver Cup, presumably with Rafa?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Didn't someone mention rumors of Roger coming back to play doubles at Laver Cup, presumably with Rafa?
Well I think Rafa is playing the Laver Cup because of Roger's interest's and also a favor to him, I didnt hear or read so far, Roger is coming back to play doubles, though it would not surprise me?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

The idea of going out in a blaze of glory is so tempting, and I'd be happy for him, if he did. I don't see it getting better from there. He could show up to Wimbledon and the USO and accept some parting gift in a ceremony. And since Laver Cup is just a glorified exhibition, he could play that anyway. Especially if Roger is talking about coming out to play doubles.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
There hasnt been any more talk of Rafa and Alcaraz playing doubles at the Olympics this year?
Probably Alcaraz is concentrating on getting over his forearm problem and Rafa is still under the pump practicing for his last RG

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There hasnt been any more talk of Rafa and Alcaraz playing doubles at the Olympics this year?
Probably Alcaraz is concentrating on getting over his forearm problem and Rafa is still under the pump practicing for his last RG
Only @PhiEaglesfan712 cares about Rafa playing the Olympics. A Nadal/Alcaraz doubles team in Paris is a very pretty dream, but, given the state of each, I think we should give it up.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Only @PhiEaglesfan712 cares about Rafa playing the Olympics. A Nadal/Alcaraz doubles team in Paris is a very pretty dream, but, given the state of each, I think we should give it up.
I agree, it was Alcaraz that mentioned it before he got his forearm injury, it would have been a pretty good dream, oh well, their health is more important at present

Reactions: Moxie

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I never really liked the idea of Nadal (or Alcaraz) playing doubles at the Olympics to begin with. I just want to see Rafa play singles at the Olympics because he hasn't really been healthy for one since winning the gold in singles in 2008. Plus, after Rafa won the 2022 Australian Open, the Olympics are only real big tournament that Rafa hasn't won more than once in singles. That said, all I really want is for Rafa to win one more tournament in singles. It would be great if it was a slam, but with his form during the clay season, I'll take anything I can get at this point. Even a title in a 250 or an Olympic singles gold is better than nothing in his final season.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Oh my friend @El Dude ..I'm getting to the age where I can't get my emotions moved to think about what could be..If Rafa wins RG( I'm a realist it will not happen again, ) but if he wins #23 of course playing SW19 and USO to get #24 would be on the table..my DAWG Rafa would have to consider it . oh my friend my emotions can't be teased like that anymore..

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh my friend @El Dude ..I'm getting to the age where I can't get my emotions moved to think about what could be..If Rafa wins RG( I'm a realist it will not happen again, ) but if he wins #23 of course playing SW19 and USO to get #24 would be on the table..my DAWG Rafa would have to consider it . oh my friend my emotions can't be teased like that anymore..
Well, let me offer a probably less biased perspective (or perhaps less invested is more what I'm going for) - as a fan of tennis, great appreciator of Rafa, but ultimately a Federian...I think he has a chance. Not a huge one, and not the favorite (there is no favorite, unless Alcaraz is 100% and Novak finds his B game in Geneva) - but I'm never counting him out at Roland Garros. And I'm rooting for him - as a tennis fan first and foremost, I love the storybook ending of him winning RG one more time.

He's healthy, for one. He looks a tad slower - which is borderline disastrous - and his strokes seem to have a bit less zip. But he could be ramping up...I mean, even if it is unlikely, it is possible. He doesn't need to be vintage, or even his 2022 self. Rafa's B game at Roland Garros is still better than probably anyone other than Novak's A game.

I might put his odds at something like 1 in 20 right now, and no other player as more than maybe 1 in 10. But that goes up steeply with each win. If he reaches the QF, I think he's the favorite (unless he's just squeaking by and one of Alcaraz or Novak are playing well).

But I get it. After Roger lost Wimbledon in 2019, I knew it was over. I took a break from tennis for a couple months because I was so bummed out - not as much that it was over, but that he lost his last real chance (and kinda blew it...but in all fairness, Novak is the best ever at making other players blow it). But while I think Rafa might be in a similar place as Roger in 2020-21, he has two things going for him: One, it is Roland Garros and he rules there. Two, it is an open field, with Novak not himself, Alcaraz at least somewhat hurt.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, let me offer a probably less biased perspective (or perhaps less invested is more what I'm going for) - as a fan of tennis, great appreciator of Rafa, but ultimately a Federian...I think he has a chance. Not a huge one, and not the favorite (there is no favorite, unless Alcaraz is 100% and Novak finds his B game in Geneva) - but I'm never counting him out at Roland Garros. And I'm rooting for him - as a tennis fan first and foremost, I love the storybook ending of him winning RG one more time.

He's healthy, for one. He looks a tad slower - which is borderline disastrous - and his strokes seem to have a bit less zip. But he could be ramping up...I mean, even if it is unlikely, it is possible. He doesn't need to be vintage, or even his 2022 self. Rafa's B game at Roland Garros is still better than probably anyone other than Novak's A game.

I might put his odds at something like 1 in 20 right now, and no other player as more than maybe 1 in 10. But that goes up steeply with each win. If he reaches the QF, I think he's the favorite (unless he's just squeaking by and one of Alcaraz or Novak are playing well).

But I get it. After Roger lost Wimbledon in 2019, I knew it was over. I took a break from tennis for a couple months because I was so bummed out - not as much that it was over, but that he lost his last real chance (and kinda blew it...but in all fairness, Novak is the best ever at making other players blow it). But while I think Rafa might be in a similar place as Roger in 2020-21, he has two things going for him: One, it is Roland Garros and he rules there. Two, it is an open field, with Novak not himself, Alcaraz at least somewhat hurt.
Rafa has lost a couple of steps. It would take a perfect storm just to get him to the round of 16