Is Martina Hingis's induction to Hall of Fame Fair?

Is the induction Fair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Kiu said:
And why not?

Here is a hall of fame'r trying her hand at the game after she was inducted, she did pretty good too, handing double bread-sticks to her opponents.
She is active again, she plays the game now.
This is an active thread about her. So we can talk about it, right?

We seem to veer off the original topic on many threads, always ending up talking about Serena. Just look at the Stanford thread from last week...
At least we're on topic here.

Actually, you're not on topic here. This thread is specifically about Martina's induction into the HOF. I created a thread 2 weeks ago announcing Martina's return to doubles. Feel free to discuss her doubles play there or in the Carlsbad thread.
http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/show...hp?tid=606

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
GameSetAndMath said:
britbox said:
I think Martina actually had about one fifth of the level of cocaine that Gasquet had and he only got a few months, based on the kissing excuse. Bit of a discrepancy in the length of bans. Gasquet was allowed to provide character witnesses and hair samples... Martina wasn't allowed either of them.

Gasquet fought with ITF and appealed. Martina just accepted
the punishment and quit. It is hard to say whether acceptance
implies admission of guilt or lack of energy to fight, especially
considering her second run at the tour did not go as anticipated
and she was nowhere close to the #1 Martina.

I think she should have been banned, as should Gasquet... but even with the appeal, I don't get the difference in the bans (and I thought Gasquet's excuse was a load of rubbish). It was a recreational use drug, so the ban length should be a lot shorter than something like steroids, hgh etc...

I agree, you should be suspended, but, unlike the original post, I don't think it keep you from the HOF if you meet the qualification.

Because, as you stated, it was a recreational drug, and in neither case, was there this repeated failure.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I have been thinking further on this issue.

There seems to be some question as to whether Cocaine is
a PED or not. I don't claim to have the last word on it.

However, what is bothering me is that independent of
the answer to the question above, what ITF is doing seems
to be wrong.

If cocaine is indeed a PED, I believe Martina should
not have been inducted into HOF.

On the other hand, if cocaine is not a PED, then she
should not have been suspended for 2 years in the first
place. The anti-doping agency should have its mission
clear and straight. They are there to detect PEDs and
also anything else that players may take with the
intention to mask off the detection of PEDs.

However, they should not be playing the role of
law-enforcement agencies. If cocaine is illegal and
a player consumes it, it should be the business of
law enforcement to detect it and punish them as
necessary if caught. Anti-doping agencies should
not even test for it. Also, Anti-Doping agencies
should not be doing moral policing by looking for
substances in blood that indicate bad life style of
the player as long it is not PED and does not give
the player a competitive advantage over a clean
player.

When I started this thread, I made the
assumption that Cocaine is a PED as it is on
the banned substances in WADA list and at the
same time blood alcohol level is not even an
item of concern for tennis players.

Can anyone shed further light on my question
and express your opinion on the ramifications of
answer to the question either way?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
hall of fame ??...

hmmphh 2 year cocaine ban, then a bit later the hall of fame ??. :puzzled

hmmmmm..ok then. :( :nono

rubydo

Reactions
You know I really don't care whether Hingis should be inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. It's not going to be a highlight of my day, I remember her being rude and obnoxious on the court, having many a temper tantrum.
The quality of her play was decent for her size, covered the court well and yes she did win some major titles. Whether she merits being in the Hall is open for discussion and we have a major chit chat on it here.
I know here in British Columbia she is well liked having done exhibition matches against the likes of Sharon Fichman in Vancouver. I suppose the bottom line is: are there other players besides Martina who deserve to be in the Hall and are not?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
rubydo said:
You know I really don't care whether Hingis should be inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. It's not going to be a highlight of my day, I remember her being rude and obnoxious on the court, having many a temper tantrum.
The quality of her play was decent for her size, covered the court well and yes she did win some major titles. Whether she merits being in the Hall is open for discussion and we have a major chit chat on it here.
I know here in British Columbia she is well liked having done exhibition matches against the likes of Sharon Fichman in Vancouver. I suppose the bottom line is: are there other players besides Martina who deserve to be in the Hall and are not?

Yawn - why can't people get over this little girl? How is her breathing air affecting you? It's so ridiculous to go on and on and on about her past! Everyone has one including whatever fave you have; name 'em and I'll come up with some dirt, so get over it will you? Shhheessshhh! And BTW, there's no one more deserving than she is since she held the #1 ranking well over 200 weeks with only 3 women ahead of her! She has countless other records with her being the youngest this and the youngest that! If you can't get over that, tough! :huh: :s :mad: :nono

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Hall of fame is over-rated at best!
Right Ruby?

Are you going to Toronto this week?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
rubydo said:

Yawn - why can't people get over this little girl? How is her breathing air affecting you? It's so ridiculous to go on and on and on about her past! Everyone has one including whatever fave you have; name 'em and I'll come up with some dirt, so get over it will you? Shhheessshhh! And BTW, there's no one more deserving than she is since she held the #1 ranking well over 200 weeks with only 3 women ahead of her! She has countless other records with her being the youngest this and the youngest that! If you can't get over that, tough! :huh: :s :mad: :nono

You can come up with some dirt against anybody, but you cannot come
up with a two year suspension against anybody. Only very few of them
are suspended in the first place. Also, nobody is arguing that she is
not an accomplished player in this thread.

zalvar

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think it's fair. Just too dang early. She's still playing WTT and now WTA doubles.

I just wish they'd make the HoF more exclusive though. Like ... no one slam wonders. Unless they've done something amazing off court or whatever. It just seems so undistinguished to have so many people.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
zalvar said:
I think it's fair. Just too dang early. She's still playing WTT and now WTA doubles.

Actually, that is another trick that she played.

In order to be considered for Hall of Fame under the Recent Player Category, the
player should be out of action for five years. She technically complied that requirement
as it has been exactly five years since she got suspended in 2008 summer.

However, the spirit behind the rule is to make sure that a player inducted into
Hall of Fame is not currently playing in the regular WTA circuit. HOF entry is sort of
given after the career is over. She kept her intention to return to WTA secret so that
it does not jeopardize her consideration into HOF. Once, HOF induction is done, the
very next day (more or less) she announced her plans to return to the circuit.
It did not go well with very many people.

Now there are rumors that she will play singles also next year although she
is denying it. Nobody knows what she will do. Most people are guessing that she
is testing the water and if it feels good, she will jump in singles also starting from
2014 season.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Bob Hewitt is not yet found guilty. He has only now been charged.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/08/former-doubles-champ-bob-hewitt-charged-rape/48756/#.Ug5ZFxDD-M8