Indian Wells, BNP Paribas Open, CA, USA, ATP Masters 2017

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Expect someone to appear here and tell us shamelessly how much Andy's lead has increased over Novak.

It currently stands at 3000 + points, just checked the live rankings. Got a problem with that? :snicker

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Jeez, what the hell happened here? Popped out for an hour and missed the whole match?

Roger played incredible and Rafa's serve was off. Fed was 26/17 winners to UFE and Rafa was 10/15 but the stat of the match was Roger winning 75% on 2nd serve points.

Reactions: britbox

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
mightyjeditribble said:
Listening on the radio. Sounds like Fed is on fire. Hope he can keep it up for another 40 minutes or so!!!

Fed is not on fire, Rafa is on ice which is very diferent :cry

Consult a shrink who specializes in denial :puzzled.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Ok Rafa, come to Miami and try to get the title

Rafa has not won Miami in his hay days; why would you think he will do so now? Not a chance.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:
Ok Rafa, come to Miami and try to get the title
Anyway not doubts that Roger and his new racket is helping him a lot, serving and playing

Passive is As passive does!

One of the worst matches played by Rafa so far, if I wouldn't have watched the match I wouldn't believe his poor game and serve, bah!

Don't worry, in due course you will think this is a much better performance as Rafa deteriorates. :laydownlaughing

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
mightyjeditribble said:
Roger also hasn't won this tile yet, and it is still going to be difficult. At least he hasn't used up too much energy so far, but he's still got to face Kyrgios and (probably) Nishikori and Wawrinka.

But let's hope that he can do it, and then he can take Miami off. :)

I have a strong feeling that Roger is not going to drop out off Miami even if he wins IW. He will play Miami and then take six continuous weeks off and then play Rome and then RG.

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
mightyjeditribble said:
lacatch said:
Maybe, just maybe, Carol--Rafa was just the object of an old-fashioned, one-sided beatdown. Roger took it to Rafa from beginning to end--no letdown. And no--it was not because of Roger's new racket--he's been playing with that for a long time now.

FWIW, I think Roger's racquet change made a big difference to his backhand. And IIRC, he hadn't played Nadal with the new racquet except very early after the change.

I'm not saying it's the only difference, but I do think that in hindsight he should have made the switch to a larger racquet head sooner.
I agree with both your statement: the larger racquet head helps Roger, and it would've helped him to have switched earlier (if he weren't so stubborn). What I was objecting to was Carol's giving ZERO credit to Federer's dominating performance, and "explaining" it by a larger racket (which Roger has had for well over a year) and a BAD performance by Rafa (as if Roger's strong play wasn't at all responsible for Rafa's poor performance).

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not to start a fan war but Rafa was actually hitting the ball from the baseline really well for 1.5 sets but he looked shaky at the end. Had to be pretty demoralizing the way Roger played

Reactions: britbox

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
mightyjeditribble said:
Roger also hasn't won this tile yet, and it is still going to be difficult. At least he hasn't used up too much energy so far, but he's still got to face Kyrgios and (probably) Nishikori and Wawrinka.

But let's hope that he can do it, and then he can take Miami off. :)

I have a strong feeling that Roger is not going to drop out off Miami even if he wins IW. He will play Miami and then take six continuous weeks off and then play Rome and then RG.

I suppose he'll get about a week between IW and his first match in Miami, so it's possible.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Rafa was so single-minded; "let's hit to the BH! Let's serve to the BH!" That used to work! - - :rolleyes: :nono :cover

- - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fan-page-novak-nole-djokovic.html - -

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I really do not know what to make of Roger anymore...I guess he can lose early to a Donskoy, or win late against a top dog. It will be interesting.

No no, you make it sound like Roger's performance is erratic. That is not quite the case. It is a question of how much desire and motivation you have. After winning AO, he did not want to go all out when Donsky surprised. Having said that, even though Donsky won it, it was not easy for him either. The match went to three sets and IIRC, the last two sets went to TBs.

The level of desire and motivation to win the match, depends on the importance of the event and the quality of the opponent.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Indian Wells Men's Singles Round 4 matches on Wednesday
9-Roger Federer (Switzerland) beat 5-Rafa Nadal (Spain) 6-2 6-3
27-Pablo Cuevas (Uruguay) beat 11-David Goffin (Belgium) 6-3 3-6 6-3
21-Pablo Carreno (Spain) beat Dusan Lajovic (Serbia) 6-4 7-6(5)
4-Kei Nishikori (Japan) beat Donald Young (U.S.) 6-2 6-4
17-Jack Sock (U.S.) beat Malek Jaziri (Tunisia) 4-6 7-6(1) 7-5
15-Nick Kyrgios (Australia) beat 2-Novak Djokovic (Serbia) 6-4 7-6(3)

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Not to start a fan war but Rafa was actually hitting the ball from the baseline really well for 1.5 sets but he looked shaky at the end. Had to be pretty demoralizing the way Roger played

Yes, in fact the match started pretty competitive. Nadal won his first service game with authority. They were having a lot of good exchanges. But then Federer started to click those cross court back hands, which was what gave him the first breaks. Then entered the 1-2 punches on serve. The error I reckon Nadal did was to receive serve that far away from the baseline, it gave too much time for Federer to prepare to the first shot.

I expected hard service games for Federer after the 3-1 on the second but from there Nadal, strangely enough, did not fight the way you expect him to.