I have a problem, his name is Rafael Nadal

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yup. Nadal could have "just as easily" lost to Daniel Brands at Roland Garros in straight sets. We're done here, folks.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm done here anyway but before I do when did I say that? The answer is never.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa + Roland Garros = Toughest combination of player and tournament in tennis history.

Does anything more need to be said? He's lost only once in 67 matches!

That said, he will lose again - but probably only once or twice more.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
Rafa + Roland Garros = Toughest combination of player and tournament in tennis history.

Does anything more need to be said? He's lost only once in 67 matches!

That said, he will lose again - but probably only once or twice more.

Not only that El Dude, in those 67 matches, he only had to play two 5 set matches. That's an incredible accomplishment right there.

In addition, in nine finals appearances at Roland Garros, nobody has forced him to play a five setter. That's how dominant Nadal is on Roland Garros.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Well he doesn't need any credit since he won the past 3 years so that's credit enough but I wasn't impressed by his form and doubtless many Nadal fans weren't either but he still won so frankly most people won't care as the win is all that counts. Soderling didn't even need 5 sets btw. Someone could just as easily win in 3 or 4 if they played well. Brands came up just short of a 2 set lead and he's hardly anything special. In fact I've barely seen him play since so if someone relatively unheard of can almost win the first 2 sets then Nadal's level is clearly not that high anymore and he's therefore quite beatable and that was my point.

Well it is always my belief that Champion Players like Rafa on clay can still win Ugly,I think we can all say that about other player's as well.

I am pointing out Rafa's overall record at Roland Garos by the way,not just the last three years,we may never see anyone with the stats Rafa has at Roland Garos,I for one feel honoured to been able to watch Rafa live at Roland Garos over the years.It is the Hardest of all the Grand Slams to win in my opinion,and also other tennis commentators have said the same.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
fashionista said:
Front242 said:
Well he doesn't need any credit since he won the past 3 years so that's credit enough but I wasn't impressed by his form and doubtless many Nadal fans weren't either but he still won so frankly most people won't care as the win is all that counts. Soderling didn't even need 5 sets btw. Someone could just as easily win in 3 or 4 if they played well. Brands came up just short of a 2 set lead and he's hardly anything special. In fact I've barely seen him play since so if someone relatively unheard of can almost win the first 2 sets then Nadal's level is clearly not that high anymore and he's therefore quite beatable and that was my point.

Well it is always my belief that Champion Players like Rafa on clay can still win Ugly,I think we can all say that about other player's as well.

I am pointing out Rafa's overall record at Roland Garos by the way,not just the last three years,we may never see anyone with the stats Rafa has at Roland Garos,I for one feel honoured to been able to watch Rafa live at Roland Garos over the years.It is the Hardest of all the Grand Slams to win in my opinion,and also other tennis commentators have said the same.

Agreed. For a player to have such a commandingly dominant and freakish record on one of - if not the most - physically demanding surface on tour is nothing short of admirable, irrespective of what some may say about his playing style.