Have you recovered yet from Serena's loss at Flushing Meadows?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's still shocking, isn't it? Reminds me of Navratilova's loss to Helena Sukova at the same stage of the 1984 Australian Open, when she was two matches short of the Calendar Year Slam. A tumultuous upset. I think serena will recover but for all her glorious career and the things ahead of her, this one will haunt her for the rest of her days...

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
It's still shocking, isn't it? Reminds me of Navratilova's loss to Helena Sukova at the same stage of the 1984 Australian Open, when she was two matches short of the Calendar Year Slam. A tumultuous upset. I think serena will recover but for all her glorious career and the things ahead of her, this one will haunt her for the rest of her days...

The losing the Grand Slam was disappointing, but maybe the worst thing was who was standing in her way to all-time glory.

Vinci and Pennetta. Once Serena beat Venus in the quarters, I thought it was signed, sealed and delivered.

That's what will hurt forever I think. Serena will always look back and think, "I lost to VINCI?!"

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
we have moved on she has moved on and so should you....she still has her health ,family,friends....I am sure she counts all her blessings one by one...and she has a lot of blessings.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I've moved on, don't worry about that, I was more concerned about you! :laydownlaughing

It's kinda seismic though and I agree with Kirijax, she's always going to have the trauma of this one accompany her. The best medicine is to win Oz, but if anything this shows how tough the Calendar Year Slam is, if a toughie like Serena can't hack the pressure of facing a makeweight. It was a rollicking great run, but it's a pity she couldn't dismiss the two Italians and take it.

Set against this, Flavia is cute so I didn't mind seeing her smile with the trophy...

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
In my household, that match still cannot be discussed or mentioned! A family friend, who is a casual tennis fan, made the mistake of asking my daughter what happened to Serena that day. My daughter asked him to leave, lol. I'm still not sure if she was joking.........

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Remember that in 2014 Serena lost three slams in a row at early stages. That is at least partially due to the pressure of catching up to Chrissy and Martina with #18.

Now, we are in the same situation with Serena at the verge of reaching Steffi at #22 and Serena is two more years older. So, I do expect some stalling here. But, I do think Serena will sooner or later get that #22.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
It's still pretty painful to think about. I think Serena was really proactive and tried to immediately focus her mind elsewhere and put a lot of positivity around her. I agree with GameSetAndMath I think Serena will feel some pressure in Oz. I would guess that she closes in on 22 at Wimbledon.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena is an elite athelete and the losses are part of the journey...read all her quotes she talks about falling down and picking yourself up.She nearly died for goodness sake...this is nothing.
I think the player who is traumatized beyond trauma is pova,,,ten years of beatings can scar her forever,,,after losing again to Serena she threw her racket away and that little black heart dumped her...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
Serena is an elite athelete and the losses are part of the journey...read all her quotes she talks about falling down and picking yourself up.She nearly died for goodness sake...this is nothing.
I think the player who is traumatized beyond trauma is pova,,,ten years of beatings can scar her forever,,,after losing again to Serena she threw her racket away and that little black heart dumped her...

No.. I wake in a cold sweat thinking about her loosing to Vicini, I may never get over that lost. I have a feelin that Serena hasn't really "picked up" a racket since.. However, I think that she is regrouping with Team(Patrick, Robbie, Dad and Venus) to see how she plans to execute this last chapter of her career. I expect to see her maybe serve and volley, maybe try to add more angles or something to shorten the rallies.. I don't think that she is as stubborn and "career wise foolish" as Rafa who consistently sticks with the same ole same ole tactics. IMO

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rumors flying around about Serena since the USO. Even saw a tweet about her being pregnant. Apparently the rumor is floating around. :eyepop

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Rumors flying around about Serena since the USO. Even saw a tweet about her being pregnant. Apparently the rumor is floating around. :eyepop

Who is the daddy, Drake, Patrick or someone else?

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Kirijax said:

Someone said Drake, but I think they were just talking out of the wrong end.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
the AntiPusher said:
Kirijax said:

Gossip Cop..the most reliable source on celebrity news has called this bs...she has probably gained weight from inactivity due to injuries.... seems to have an ankle injury.
Serena doesnt need these rappers in her life...she needs an older rich nonfamous guy

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
Kirijax said:
the AntiPusher said:

Gossip Cop..the most reliable source on celebrity news has called this bs...she has probably gained weight from inactivity due to injuries.... seems to have an ankle injury.
Serena doesnt need these rappers in her life...she needs an older rich nonfamous guy

Yeah, the rumors that fly around are amusing. And yeah, she needs to ditch Drake the Bandwagon Man and find a noncelebrity that is really grounded for Serena.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
tossip said:
Kirijax said:

Yeah, the rumors that fly around are amusing. And yeah, she needs to ditch Drake the Bandwagon Man and find a noncelebrity that is really grounded for Serena.
Drake is good for a fling thats all..she has had enough of the spotlight to last generations.She should avoid the likes of Kelly Rowland,Kardashians they probably laugh at her behind her back plus they bring bad luck to her...2011 USA Open they brought bad karma,RG14 she met with them again and lost,2015 she met with Kim during the event and lost...she should avoid the z listers like Ciara she doesnt add anything to her life..Eva Longoria is a real friend and is always there whether she wins or not...the rest are jealous.:popcorn

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am fine with it. It was asking a lot of her to continue her streak at the Open. I was disappointed in how she lost it wasn't like she was making Vinci do anything special but hang in there.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I want to add while I understand Serena saying she has played injured a lot of this year and how bad the loss at the Open hurt, I do wish she had played the finals at least. I think she is going to rue allowing someone like Muguruza to gain some traction and confidence over the end of the season. There were a lot of people who had a crappy year who ended it on a good note like Kvitova, Sharapova, Radwanska and Mugu and that is not something you want to allow heading into a new season. It is good for the sport, but not good for you if you are trying to gain numbers and add to your legacy.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:

Doubt that very much.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Kieran said:

The losing the Grand Slam was disappointing, but maybe the worst thing was who was standing in her way to all-time glory.

Vinci and Pennetta. Once Serena beat Venus in the quarters, I thought it was signed, sealed and delivered.

That's what will hurt forever I think. Serena will always look back and think, "I lost to VINCI?!"

Again, doubt that very much.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
tossip said:

So, so true.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Pro Tennis (Womens) 16