Fed's Slam Window Shut

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is true. Rafa is showing increasing signs of wear and tear. It's a brutal tour, and so this is natural. Sampras was burning out at 27, and clung on for a few more years. Agassi took a mid-career hiatus, which helped him endure longer than Pete.

Rafa might win a few more, but he's breaking down. Roger is an exception in the way he's never skipped slams, gone deep to set records, etc...

N

NADAL2005RG

Of all the players in tennis history, Federer is the one I most expected to win slams into his mid-30s :sleepy:

He was not an early-bloomer, not a grinder, not injury prone, and his serve can carry him.
Yes he's played a lot, but his early years were not so taxing, as he lost in the 1st Round of Wimbledon 3 times, and lost in the 1st Round of Roland Garros 3 times :exclamation:

Due in part to inferior genetics, Agassi's body was a lot more beat-up at age 33 than Federer's body is......yet Agassi ended up winning 3 five-setters at the US Open at age 35, and took a 6-2 set from prime Federer in the Final (and reached a tie-breaker in the 3rd set).

Federer reaching the Wimbledon Final at age 33 is of no surprise to me :s

Kieran said:
This is true. Rafa is showing increasing signs of wear and tear. It's a brutal tour, and so this is natural. Sampras was burning out at 27, and clung on for a few more years. Agassi took a mid-career hiatus, which helped him endure longer than Pete.

Rafa might win a few more, but he's breaking down. Roger is an exception in the way he's never skipped slams, gone deep to set records, etc...

Yeah Nadal has experienced a multitude of injuries his entire career (the most unlucky in my opinion was 2011 AO torn hamstring when he was going for The Rafa Slam)......but the most interesting thing and most important thing is that Nadal's knees are better in 2014 than they've been for several years, according to Nadal (and I was impressed with his movement at French Open and Wimbledon) :D

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
We say that after every slam that Federer loses. He's still putting himself in a situation to win. I wouldn't say it's fully shut yet. People predicted doom and gloom after the Australian Open (for some weird reason, even though he did fine), and I said he'll likely have an underwhelming clay court season but pick it up in the second half of the year on fast surfaces. He seems to be doing just that. The window hasn't fully closed yet. Obviously it gets more and more unlikely as he gets older -- that much is a given -- but he's still among the 4 favorites for every slam save maybe for the FO.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
We say that after every slam that Federer loses. He's still putting himself in a situation to win. I wouldn't say it's fully shut yet. People predicted doom and gloom after the Australian Open (for some weird reason, even though he did fine), and I said he'll likely have an underwhelming clay court season but pick it up in the second half of the year on fast surfaces. He seems to be doing just that. The window hasn't fully closed yet. Obviously it gets more and more unlikely as he gets older -- that much is a given -- but he's still among the 4 favorites for every slam save maybe for the FO.

Exactly my point! Were you taking a sabbatical during Flushing BS?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
DarthFed said:
Well decent chance Roger is ranked #2 at Wimbledon next year and regardless I doubt he is scared of Djokovic on grass. Nole won't always play like that, in fact he hasn't in the past 3 years.

I'd argue that Djokovic wasn't really good on grass until last year, when he played quite fine until he lost in the final. But the thing with him is that his game can transfer to all surfaces, because of his athleticism. If Roger gets to another final at Wimbledon, I'd give him a better than even shot. But it's getting there.

Djokovic has been great on grass since 2011, it's just not his best surface. How was he not good there in 2011? He won it quite easily. He also played amazing tennis in the finals this year and needed to. Last year was kind of the opposite, he looked awesome the first 5 rounds and then poor after it (yes I'm including the DP semi he survived).

K

Kenneth

lacatch said:
I love and admire all that Roger has achieved, and watching him play when he is on is simply magnificent---making shots that frankly no one else on tour does. BUT (you knew that was coming lol), I don't see how he can bag another major now that the front door has been busted open. Not only does he have to worry about the rest of the "Big Four" (RIP), but the up-and-comers have shown they are ready to seize the day. Frankly, I think between Australia and Wimbledon and now the US OPEN, too many players believe they can grab the brass ring, and I firmly believe that the days of one player cleaning up (slam-wise) in a single year are over for now. While a tad wistful, I'm more excited about what's to come next year!

It is normal for the younger players to replace the older ones. No matter how fond of them we are, we need to accept it. There are a lot of talented young tennis men out there and I'm sure it will be great next year!

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:

Right. You might have missed it, Rafa said in an article post RG that he was very tired and the top 4 domination will come to an end soon (both proved to be right, by his results on grass and what just happened here in NY).
Also Toni mentions in that article that he hopes Nadal to win one more RG to make it 10.
So I would say if Rafa reaches to 15, his fans should be very happy as well.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think he's favourite to add at least one more RG, but he's definitely capable of winning any of the others, if his health holds. But yeah, the Big 3 (sorry Andy, but seriously, let's be real now) will find the others getting braver...

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I doubt Rafa will be playing, let along vying for a Slam, when Federer is "walking his boys to the kindergarten" - you realize that is 4-5 years from now, when Rafa will be 32-33? Now Rafa is such a freak that anything is possible, but one thing that seems unlikely is that he is still able to play at or near his peak at such an advanced age. I mean, look at the wear and tear right now, at 28; how will things look for him at 32-33?

I still maintain that Rafa and Roger will retire within a year of each other. Roger at the end of 2016, at the age of 35, and Rafa sometime in 2017, at the age of 31. Of course that is pure conjecture. But that would mean that Rafa has only three more years, or 12 Slams, to win his 15th, 16th, 17th and then 18th. Given the improving field, and the fact that he has missed 25% of Slams over the last three years, let's say he has 8-10 more chances. Do we really expect Rafa to win a third or more of those Slams at age 29-31? I mean it is possible, but the window will narrow, both due to his aging process and the rise of younger players.

As for Federer, not much to add that hasn't already been said. I said a couple months ago that I didn't think he had that extra edge to win another big tournament, but then he went ahead and won Cincinnati. He made it to the SF or later at three of this year's four Slams and I think he'll be in the mix again next year. As some have said, if anything the open field improves his chances as it also means that Rafa and Novak are more prone to be upset earlier on.

That said, the US Open is disappointing as it is hard to imagine a clearer shot at a Slam. But that disappointment is leavened by the fact that we'll have a new Slam champ this year.

But if I had to put a percentage on whether or not Roger wins #18, I'd say something like 30%. Not enough to say "probably" but enough to say "worth hoping for."

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

Exactly my point! Were you taking a sabbatical during Flushing BS?

I've been on vacation for most of the summer and wasn't being active on the forums. I think I haven't posted since early July.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Kieran said:

Right. You might have missed it, Rafa said in an article post RG that he was very tired and the top 4 domination will come to an end soon (both proved to be right, by his results on grass and what just happened here in NY).
Also Toni mentions in that article that he hopes Nadal to win one more RG to make it 10.
So I would say if Rafa reaches to 15, his fans should be very happy as well.

Nadal is going to win more than just one slam before it's all over. I wouldn't throw the "it's proven to be right" thing when people (yourself included) have been making the same predictions year after year. Yeah, at some point, it's bound to be right.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
The guy has not missed a slam in 15 years. All gravy...

Wrong attitude friend. It's all gravy right now but if Island Boy gets 17 as I figure he will then these slams are very important. I think Roger realizes that, motivation seemed to be back to where it needs to be for him to be successful. Roger almost won a slam but Nole played amazing. The only real poor slam this year was the most recent one. Roger can still play on fast hards but he hasn't shown it at the USO the past few years and then 09-11 was something else...

N

NADAL2005RG

herios said:
Buddy, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but Rafa's window will get shut also a lot sooner than you expect. By the time Rafa reaches 17 , if ever, Federer will be walking his boys to the kindergarten.

Nadal is a shoe-in for the French next year, and he's improving at Wimbledon (from 2013 to 2014 big time improvement, and in 2015 he'll have an extra week's break) and he's right at the top of Australian Open contention :clap

The main thing is Nadal is extremely happy with his knees now, and that's because the stem-cell therapy in december 2013 worked.
The wrist injury is not tendon related, and he's been told there will be no long-term issue with that.

So I think 17+ is coming very soon, even if we factor in a freak injury here and there :clap

As for Federer, I think he can last until 2016 (as planned) and we'll probably get another couple of Naderer clashes to celebrate the record changing hands.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
DarthFed said:
1972Murat said:

Wrong attitude friend. It's all gravy right now but if Island Boy gets 17 as I figure he will then these slams are very important. I think Roger realizes that, motivation seemed to be back to where it needs to be for him to be successful. Roger almost won a slam but Nole played amazing. The only real poor slam this year was the most recent one. Roger can still play on fast hards but he hasn't shown it at the USO the past few years and then 09-11 was something else...

It is the right one, if you ask him. Just yesterday on TV he was saying people worry too much about the Slams and ever since Pete's quest to catch Emerson, it was like that. He said there are many other gauges for greatness, like the WTFs, year end number ones, weeks at number ones. And I agree with him.

To me he is the greatest I have ever seen. "Island Boy" makes it to 17, 18, my opinion will not change. I have seen the best of both, I picked Roger.;)

N

NADAL2005RG

1972Murat said:
It is the right one, if you ask him. Just yesterday on TV he was saying people worry too much about the Slams and ever since Pete's quest to catch Emerson, it was like that. He said there are many other gauges for greatness, like the WTFs, year end number ones, weeks at number ones. And I agree with him.

To me he is the greatest I have ever seen. "Island Boy" makes it to 17, 18, my opinion will not change. I have seen the best of both, I picked Roger.;)

The most prominent thing people think of when you say the words "Nadal Federer" is that one guy owns the other when both are on the tennis court.

Its set in stone, and a great footnote to the number of slams each player has. Its the main separator if they are tied on 17.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
NADAL2005RG said:
1972Murat said:

The most prominent thing people think of when you say the words "Nadal Federer" is that one guy owns the other when both are on the tennis court.

Its set in stone, and a great footnote to the number of slams each player has. Its the main separator if they are tied on 17.

What is also set in stone is WTF wins, weeks at number ones and the fact that Davydenko is better than Nadal, according to you.;)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
herios said:
Buddy, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but Rafa's window will get shut also a lot sooner than you expect. By the time Rafa reaches 17 , if ever, Federer will be walking his boys to the kindergarten.

Nadal is a shoe-in for the French next year, and he's improving at Wimbledon (from 2013 to 2014 big time improvement, and in 2015 he'll have an extra week's break) and he's right at the top of Australian Open contention :clap

The main thing is Nadal is extremely happy with his knees now, and that's because the stem-cell therapy in december 2013 worked.
The wrist injury is not tendon related, and he's been told there will be no long-term issue with that.

So I think 17+ is coming very soon, even if we factor in a freak injury here and there :clap

As for Federer, I think he can last until 2016 (as planned) and we'll probably get another couple of Naderer clashes to celebrate the record changing hands.

Nadal was a greater shoe-in at the French in 2009 even ;)

And what remarkable improvement at Wimbledon this year, he almost made the 2nd week but be careful, his results dropped from the 2nd round loss in 2012. Maybe he will struggle to improve on his long run at SW 19 this year :snigger

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
DarthFed said:
1972Murat said:

The landscape has changed for sure and that's what makes it tough to compare players today to guys from the 80's or before but number of slams are huge now. That's why, IMO, you can compare guys like Federer, Sampras, Nadal, Djokovic, etc. If Rafa finishes tied with Roger he probably gets the tiebreak.

I think Roger's resume aside from slams is also better than Rafa's (it's weeks at #1, other dominance/consistency records and YEC's vs. MS titles and Olympic Gold more or less) but you can't ignore the H2H if they finish tied.