Facing Sampras: Press Release

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Hopman Cup is serious business. I have seen players try harder in Hopman Cup than Masters Series and some rare instances even in majors. Depends on the player of course, without naming any suspects. Hopman Cup is one of the best events in pro tennis.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

I wonder if there is any sort of demand for the book "Facing Kerber"?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Hopman Cup is serious business. I have seen players try harder in Hopman Cup than Masters Series and some rare instances even in majors. Depends on the player of course, without naming any suspects. Hopman Cup is one of the best events in pro tennis.

It's just a step below Davis and Fed Cup; actually playing for their country! You also have a partner you don't want to disappoint! Team comps are always more competitive for that reason; players you never heard of "rising to the occasion!" :whistle: :oops: :ptennis:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

I wonder if there is any sort of demand for the book "Facing Kerber"?
For your first woman in the series? Why not Serena or Steffi?

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Fiero245; Not sure if you're joking but Hopman Cup is definitely more serious than given credit for. I've seen many battles, only rarely do you see the players clowning or joking like it's an exo. Aussies pay to see top notch tennis and the players deliver it. Love the Hopman Cup every year. Players take it seriously and Hrbaty told me that Safin was busting his chops during the final for taking it so seriously in their final - quotes to be in Facing Safin.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Moxie; I'm working on Facing Serena and Facing Steffi but pretty far from finished, maybe by next year. Facing Serena as a mag feature ran in the Australian Open program two years ago.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine; Kerber is a hot topic around here and I hope she always will be :)

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Fed is definitely shrewd in selecting his training partners Catherine, and it's such a fascinating opportunity. Greatness definitely rubs off and these players learn so much from the master of the universe. It's a wonder that every single player who plays with Fed doesn't automatically become better. But they also have to keep in mind to maintain their own specialness and not lose their originality.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Federerberger; Definitely will eventually tackle Facing Seles and Martina.

Reactions: Federberg

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine, I would like to do a Facing on every historic player, BJK included. Wish I had more time and more opportunities to interview all the players necessary to do a thorough book.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Hartt; Which two titles did Levine win? Must've been Futures or Challengers. I did a Biofile with him in Newport one year and it was an excellent Biofile too. I just can't remember any of his big or what his biggest career win was. I will ask him next time I see him as he's around quite a bit.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine; Let's be real. Fed is using these guys for his own gain, he's not trying to help these guys and teach them how to be ultimate champions. He may show them his work ethic and his drills and maybe some of his training secrets, but it's clear that Fed is in this for himself not producing future champions to take him down. I think Fed is also exploiting these guys to see what they have and what they are capable of and how he can exploit them when they play for real inevitably. Paes use to be the regular hitting partner of Sampras in Orlando and he told me in Facing Sampras he learned a lot about Pete and used it to beat Pete in their lone singles match. Lendl trained with young Pete and Pete won their first big US battle when Lendl was going for his ninth US Open final in a row. Thiem trained with Gulbis and dominated him in their head to head meetings back when Gulbis was ranked higher. Sampras used to coast in practice at half speed, where the players had to ask Pete to play a tiebreaker at the end because he felt he didn't get enough. It's an interesting topic to study, how Fed is taking these young players into his practice domain.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine; Let's be real. Fed is using these guys for his own gain, he's not trying to help these guys and teach them how to be ultimate champions. He may show them his work ethic and his drills and maybe some of his training secrets, but it's clear that Fed is in this for himself not producing future champions to take him down. I think Fed is also exploiting these guys to see what they have and what they are capable of and how he can exploit them when they play for real inevitably. Paes use to be the regular hitting partner of Sampras in Orlando and he told me in Facing Sampras he learned a lot about Pete and used it to beat Pete in their lone singles match. Lendl trained with young Pete and Pete won their first big US battle when Lendl was going for his ninth US Open final in a row. Thiem trained with Gulbis and dominated him in their head to head meetings back when Gulbis was ranked higher. Sampras used to coast in practice at half speed, where the players had to ask Pete to play a tiebreaker at the end because he felt he didn't get enough. It's an interesting topic to study, how Fed is taking these young players into his practice domain.

Few top players are saints! If they didn't have a nasty streak of some sort which is totally self-serving, they'd never get to be the best! Sampras and Borg were probably the only 2 greats I can think of who didn't have a blemish in their character! I wasn't happy with Pete and his attitude showing up late to Davis Cup against Russia, but overall he's been a good guy! I can still remember how some of the guys were so in love with making John McEnroe captain of the Davis Cup team, then they didn't show resulting in him quitting before the year was out! No one's immune to being a real jerk I guess! :whistle: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :rolleyes: