European clay court season

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
mrzz said:
^I think your post ends ups explaining why JMDP results on clay are not up to what you expect when you actually see him playing on it. He seems very much at home, like some kind of giant grinder with killer weapons. His match against Nadal on the DC final in 2011 is proof of that. Yes, he lost (to Nadal, on clay, in Spain, on a DC final) but the match hang in the balance on a lot of moments. To my eyes this match alone shows his credentials on clay, and if can stay healthy for a full season, I am pretty sure he will be a factor on the surface. To begin with, if he gets some momentum by RG he will be a nightmare first round for everyone.

[edit]: Just read on another thread that he's out of MC. "Momentum" seems science fiction now...

My intention WAS to say why JM's results haven't been as expected on clay. I don't think he's under-achieved there, as much as been a victim of the Big 4 and his own bad luck. I re-watched the highlights of DC final that you mentioned, as well as some other bits on youtube. He's very fine on clay, because he has such a good game (first and foremost,) and because he's very fast, especially given his size. He maintains an aggressive position on court, which he can afford to do more than most, because he's not easy to pass (wingspan.) However, the top guys can pass him. And, while he has lovely footwork, he's not much of a slider, which, again, can wrong-foot him against the best.

Juan Martin, on top form, is dangerous on all surfaces, for sure. And I know we're all hoping to see him back to his best. I get your argument for why RG could be his next Slam, if he does claim another one, same as I would Wimbledon...because the HCs have so many more "comers," whereas grass and clay take either a lot of skill, or specific ones. Not sure what "momentum" he'll have going into RG, as you say, but Del Potro will likely be a dangerous floater, for the next while.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
I really wish murray would play a 250 or 500 clay (not Barcelona with rafa and ferrer in it though)..

surely he wants to win a title on clay at some point in his career ?. even if only an atp250 clay tourney.

JLLB, your wish has come true. Andy has announced that he will NOT play MC. He has
also announced that he will play in Munich, Germany an ATP 250 clay tourney in the week
before the double header. It looks like he preferred Munich to Istanbul that I was suggesting
for some unknown reason.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe he prefers to lose to Haas than Federer :p

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I do not care if Nole skips any or the events or not, I just hope he is mature enough by now and knows what he is got to do to target to win the big one. He won all the others already, and he does not need to grab so many points up to RG as his lead is very secure.
Frankly, he has to win the biggie, and he if he will fine
And if he defeats Rafa once at least before RG, that will help too, keeping the doubts in Rafa's mind.