Dubai Duty Free 2019, UAE, WTA Premier

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Halep won the first set 6-4, and Bencic just won the second with the same score. Heading to a third ...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
After winning 5 games in a row, up 3-0 in the third, Bencic gets broken at love. Halep may win this yet, knowing her.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Win or lose from here (5-2 up in the third) Bencic has definitely recovered better than I thought she'd be able to and she has been incredible tonight. Halep not playing terribly, other than those 13 doubles. But Bencic just has an answer for everything. Great to see her back at her confident best. Or close to it.

Reactions: tented

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
What a fantastic win for Bencic. Just a bit better tonight. Thrilled to see her make the semis here. But if CSN can't beat Svitolina, she'll have to face the two time defending champion. Should be a good match either way. The points from a semi or greater should definitely pull her into the top 30. Needs a final to make the top 20 again.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
What a fantastic win for Bencic. Just a bit better tonight. Thrilled to see her make the semis here. But if CSN can't beat Svitolina, she'll have to face the two time defending champion. Should be a good match either way. The points from a semi or greater should definitely pull her into the top 30. Needs a final to make the top 20 again.

This win takes Bencic up to No. 33 in the live rankings (she’s no. 45 in the official rankings).

If she wins the tournament, she’ll go up to about 23 (depending on other players’ results).

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Go, Hsieh!! I’m surprised she’s winning three setters. She’s not physically robust, especially at her age.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Bencic won the first set 6-2. After exchanging breaks, she’s now serving at 3-4 in the second.

EDIT: Svitolina gets the third break in a row, and will serve for the second at 5-3.

She holds, grabbing the 2nd set 6-3. On to a 3rd ...

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Bencic wins 7-6(3) in the third, denying Svitolina the chance to defend her title.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Final: Kvitova vs. Bencic

Petra leads the head-to-head 3-0 (including a straight-set win in Melbourne). In fact, Bencic has never won a single set against Kvitova.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
amazing Belinda, she had a very good week

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Brilliant tournament for Belinda Bencic!!!!! She waltzed into Dubai and didn't just take Sabalenka to three sets. She beat her, saving 6 match points. Then Halep in 3. Svitolina in 3. And Kvitova in 3. Second time in her career she's defeated 4 top 10 players to win a premier 5 tournament. She has been getting better and better since being back from all the injuries full time. She came in and put the entire WTA on notice. Not just that she can be competitive again. One or two upsets would have done that. She went for the title. She's only got 3 titles and 2 of them are premier 5s. Still just 21. Thrilled to have her back. There were times over the last two years that I wasn't sure the poor girl was ever gonna be able to get back to her best. Mostly because I wasn't sure her injuries would ever stop. Really glad she's been able to get healthy and get her confidence back.

For this match in particular she just took Kvitova's blows in stride and returned phenomenally!!!!! Took the return so early the whole match. Or at least in the first and third sets. I didn't get to see the Svitolina match. Wish I'd seen that one. Looks like it was another great match.

I do hate to see Kvitova lose another final right after Australia. But she'll be alright. And..... does this get her back to #2? She probably doesn't care about that too much. Especially not right now. But at least she's playing some of the best tennis of her career on a consistent basis. Unfortunately for her it's off to the US hard court swing now. She just cannot get it together in the States. And I still don't know if that's because of the climate or what. By which I mean I feel like I remember her talking about having breathing problems every time she's in the US. But I'm not sure. It'd be nice to see her do well in IW and Miami. And if she does do well in IW and Osaka doesn't... is it possible for her to get to #1? I'm not sure. Though, it just goes to show how young and still trying to be consistent that Osaka has won 2 slams in a row and doesn't have a firm grip on the #1 ranking.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congrats to Belinda Bencic,what a week,defeating four top 10 players (Sabalenka,Halep,Svitolina and then defeated Kvitova in the final 63,16,62.

Bencic will rise 22 spots from 45 to 23 in WTA rankings next week.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I do hate to see Kvitova lose another final right after Australia. But she'll be alright. And..... does this get her back to #2? She probably doesn't care about that too much. Especially not right now. But at least she's playing some of the best tennis of her career on a consistent basis.

I’m happy for Bencic, too — an amazing tournament — but also hate to see Petra lose another final.

She’ll be No. 3, but only a little over 100 points away from no. 2.

Unfortunately for her it's off to the US hard court swing now. She just cannot get it together in the States. And I still don't know if that's because of the climate or what. By which I mean I feel like I remember her talking about having breathing problems every time she's in the US. But I'm not sure. It'd be nice to see her do well in IW and Miami. And if she does do well in IW and Osaka doesn't... is it possible for her to get to #1? I'm not sure. Though, it just goes to show how young and still trying to be consistent that Osaka has won 2 slams in a row and doesn't have a firm grip on the #1 ranking.

I remember her discussing the breathing problems as well. I think the heat/humidity (especially in Miami & New York) bother her, but IW is dry heat, so she should do better there.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Petra had to win Dubai to get to the No 2 ranking.Petra looks tired to me.I feel she needs a break.