Can you see Djokovic winning the singles gold medal at Tokyo 2020?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What's stupid about wanting to be an Olympic gold medal winner?
Every kid dreams of the Olympics, not to mention actual athletes. It doesn't seem that even millionaire tennis players are so cynical that it doesn't make them giddy and emotional. Mastoor seems to have sour grapes, and Ricardo is, well, just generally sour.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There seems to be a chasm between players who couldn't give a crap and those who take it seriously. I guess that's why I don't particularly like tennis being in the Olympics to begin with (as it's not the pinnacle for the player)... but it is what is is, and for those players who do go and play... clearly it means a lot to them.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What "chasm" do you find? Some skipped Rio this year, for various reasons, but who skipped London, if it wasn't for injury? Sure, some might say: no points, no money, no way, if they don't have a medal chance, but who would you say that is? I do think it means a lot to the tennis players.

If I'm honest, I'd be perfectly happy if they made Olympic tennis for the amateurs/futures/qualifiers only. Don't they do football that way? Basketball and golf, too. Give the young people a stage to shine on. But, since it's like this, I do think the players who go love the experience, and appreciate their medals.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What "chasm" do you find? Some skipped Rio this year, for various reasons, but who skipped London, if it wasn't for injury? Sure, some might say: no points, no money, no way, if they don't have a medal chance, but who would you say that is? I do think it means a lot to the tennis players.

If I'm honest, I'd be perfectly happy if they made Olympic tennis for the amateurs/futures/qualifiers only. Don't they do football that way? Basketball and golf, too. Give the young people a stage to shine on. But, since it's like this, I do think the players who go love the experience, and appreciate their medals.

I think it seems to mean a lot to some tennis players... and not to others. There was a laundry list of people dropping out - and those who decided not to make themselves available in the first place... that's your chasm.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think it seems to mean a lot to some tennis players... and not to others. There was a laundry list of people dropping out - and those who decided not to make themselves available in the first place... that's your chasm.
But my question was it just Rio? I don't remember loads dropping out of London. Here is the draw...I don't think anyone was missing that wasn't injured:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_singles

Kyrgios was basically un-invited by his federation. Berdych and Raonic specifically dropped out citing Zika concerns. Federer was injured, as was Wawrinka. A few others made maybe strategic choices to play events where they would do better without the competition. But I don't think you can make a case for a pattern of tennis players not being interested. I think this year was anomalous for several reasons.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But my question was it just Rio? I don't remember loads dropping out of London. Here is the draw...I don't think anyone was missing that wasn't injured:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_singles

Kyrgios was basically un-invited by his federation. Berdych and Raonic specifically dropped out citing Zika concerns. Federer was injured, as was Wawrinka. A few others made maybe strategic choices to play events where they would do better without the competition. But I don't think you can make a case for a pattern of tennis players not being interested. I think this year was anomalous for several reasons.

There was a difference:

First, there were points on offer at the London Olympics.

Secondly, it was just after Wimbledon and thirdly it was about 10 days earlier.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There was a difference:

First, there were points on offer at the London Olympics.

Secondly, it was just after Wimbledon and thirdly it was about 10 days earlier.

I don't really think any of those points have to do with how much players want to play in the Olympics. If anything, they rather prove my point. I can't believe anyone plays Olympics for the points, first off. Yes, London was more felicitously located, in terms of being in Europe and in the calendar. Also, it had the benefit of not having so many health concerns involved. But they didn't all play London because they wanted more grass time. They played for the excitement of being in the Olympics. I guess we can gauge it better in 2020 when we see how many bother to go to Tokyo. But a lot bothered to go to Beijing in 2008, even though that was across the world, and surely messed with the USOpen swing calendar. I think Rio is a different case, for lots of reasons, and I wouldn't base your notion of players' commitment to the Olympic experience based on this year.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Every kid dreams of the Olympics, not to mention actual athletes. It doesn't seem that even millionaire tennis players are so cynical that it doesn't make them giddy and emotional. Mastoor seems to have sour grapes, and Ricardo is, well, just generally sour.

oh wow are you that used to nagging? it was tongue in cheek...somebody should slap your buttocks for always taking things the wrong way

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't really think any of those points have to do with how much players want to play in the Olympics. If anything, they rather prove my point. I can't believe anyone plays Olympics for the points, first off. Yes, London was more felicitously located, in terms of being in Europe and in the calendar. Also, it had the benefit of not having so many health concerns involved. But they didn't all play London because they wanted more grass time. They played for the excitement of being in the Olympics. I guess we can gauge it better in 2020 when we see how many bother to go to Tokyo. But a lot bothered to go to Beijing in 2008, even though that was across the world, and surely messed with the USOpen swing calendar. I think Rio is a different case, for lots of reasons, and I wouldn't base your notion of players' commitment to the Olympic experience based on this year.

you don't know how players really think.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think that author was looking for more than there is in it. Pressure has been on Novak since before winning the French, and it showed. And it seems that he's carrying some at least niggling injuries...maybe both wrist and shoulder. I think it's both a bit of mental and physical fatigue. Everyone was looking at him to win everything this year, including the Gold and the CYGS. It's not like he's lost a lot. He just won the Roger's Cup, FFS. We'll see how much time he needs to get back on track, but a don't think we're at the point of tragic or conspiracies.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I rather to have an opinion in the USO. He probably has some discomfort like all of them have because it's part of the sport but an injury is a different story, then they have to take a serious treatment to heal the problem. On the other hand to to be on the top is not easy (it's not a joke how much effort they have to do) they try to win everything but when the things don't go like they want then the mind /confidence star to work badly. But I think that after to win his much desired RG his mind should be more in peace and I think the loss in Wimbledon shouldn't have affected him so much. I believe than he is going more through a mentally/physically fatigue like also everybody sooner or later goes than anything else

Reactions: Tennis Fan

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nole have the right to be injured too...he's well prepared but he played a lot in first part of the season, especially when he finally won RG so maybe his body needs some rest

Reactions: Tennis Fan

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Nole have the right to be injured too...he's well prepared but he played a lot in first part of the season, especially when he finally won RG so maybe his body needs some rest

Both mentally and physically. You're probably always wondering when the other shoe is going to fall, because no one can win forever. These losses may be a blessing in disguise.