Brydan Klein Loses to Millot In 3rd Set Breaker and Then Walks Off Alone In Despair

markowitz

Reactions
After his ball hit the net and rolled over on the other side for a winner in the third set tie-breaker that decided the Brydan Klein v Vincent Millot match, Klein turned to me sitting near his baseline and said, “I’ve had three of those today. I got to win this.”

The Aussie-turned-Brit meant that he’d had three balls clip the net and roll over for winners against Millot on this hot and virtually wind-less day, but Klein just could not find the knock out punch to put the small, but sturdy Frenchman away. By the time the breaker began, a crowd had begun to form around Court 6 where Klein and Millot were battling with everything they had in their skill boxes, psyches and souls. Or as one fan put it, to fully take in the “Brydan Klein experience.” (Klein is a character. He was mostly well-behaved today, but at one point he pointed into the crowd at a fan who made noise during a point and put his his fingers to his lips and gave him a “shushing” sound. Another time, he told the French contingent rooting for Millot that a shot the Frenchman hit was just out, and Klein showed them how far almost like he felt bad for them).

Earlier in the day, on Court 5, the Canadian Denis, Shapovalov, beat the American Denis, Kudla, in three sets and even though the sun was beating down relentlessly, a good crowd assembled to see the flashy 18-year-old and he did not disappoint. On a nearby practice court, Tsonga was dueling with Berdych, but most eyes were riveted on the new blond on tour, Shapovlov and he was just too strong for Kudla. Apparently, Brad Gilbert has said that Canadian Denis has the best lefty serve of a relatively modest height lefty since John McEnroe, but it was his ability to hit forehands on the dead run and his movement that impressed me most. Later in the day, I saw Shapovalov back on the practice court working on smacking short balls with his whip-like forehand as his coach, Martin Laurendeau, who was dressed in what looked like a white tunic, obligingly played the opponent stooge.

After Shapovalov on Court 5, I stayed and watched Noah Rubin and the young American got rifled by the German Tobias Kamke, who to me always looks like one of those Germans from old World War II movies with his slicked-back hair and his Teutonic air. Maybe Rubin is rusty, but his forehand much like Stefan Kozlov’s, who lost later in the day also on Court 5, going from 4-2 up in the first set to 6-4, 5-0 down, is just not a fearsome shot. The only American to win on Court 5 today was Bradly Klahn who beat an Austrian when there was another Austrian, Sebastian Ofner on Court 6, who lost a very tight match against the exciting, Akira Santillan, who’s 20 and has a nice one-handed backhand and dyed neon blonde hair even though he’s of Japanese descent and from Brisbane. You know a guy is good when his opponent’s coach, Ofner’s, tells you the guy was born in ’97 and has a lot of talent. Still, Santillan took an injury timeout or just an exhausted and heat-prostrated time out right before Ofner’s serve at 4-all in the third set and then again a game later. He promptly came back to break Ofner and serve out the match. The Austrian refused to shake hands with the Aussie and when a fan derided Santillan for his stall tactic, Santillan yelled up at the spectator, “You couldn’t last one game out here.”

It was hot and at the USTA National Center there is very little covered ground. Klein at one point told me he was suffering from vertigo during his match, “And I’m playing at the US Open,” he emphasized showing how disappointed he was. But he fought right till the end and at 6-5 in the breaker, serving, he had a chance to close out Millot, who had a group of Frenchman watching his match, including Benoit Paire, but Millot hit a deep ball that caught Klein as he tried to run around his backhand again and he sliced a forehand into the net.

My 11-year-old son at that point, said to me, “What’s he’s slicing it there?” And then later, “What is life?” It was one of those matches and long hot days watching the US Open Qualis. We stayed from 11 am to 7 pm and we met even Troy Hahn, who was coaching Kudla and trying to implore him to take down the no. 67 Shapovalov. Kudla couldn’t do it, but Hahn said he liked the format where coaches could talk and give directives during the match instead of walking out and talking to their charge during a changeover, like on the WTA Tour.

Klein looked for more info than any player, getting very conversational within the 25-second shot clock time to talk with the ITF coach assigned him, James Trotman or something or other, who said since he wasn’t Klein’s individual coach, he was just trying to give him helpful advice like where to place his serve and not overload him. But it was in the end, to no avail for Klein who when he hit a forehand long and wide to end the match in Millot’s favor (the Frenchman has now beaten Klein three times this summer in the Mexico and Montreal Qualis too), fell to a heap on the baseline with his hands draped over his head. Millot yelled up at his countryman and pointed to his head. At the net, Klein couldn’t look at Millot when he shook hands and then he marched off the court and in the direction of the plaza instead of the locker room with his Head bag slung over his shoulder. I wanted to run him down and tell him he’d played a courageous and well-fought match, but just then Felix Augur-Alliassime walked by followed by Laurendeau, who I guess coaches both Felix and Denis (talk about a hot coach). At first I thought Felix was Michael Mmoh who’d I’d seen hitting next to Richard Gasquet when I first walked onto the grounds, but then I saw that Felix while maybe a little taller than Mmoh is not a bulky.

I let Klein go on his little walkabout as I sized up Augur-Alliassime. He seemed to have a nice gait and a humble manner to him and I realized that Klein, while 27 and playing his 15th slam Qualifying Tournament, must be thinking if he there’s a future for him in the game, players like Felix and Shapovalov aren’t looking to be journeyman, even here in the Qualis, they’re feeling out what it’s like to be a possible star in the making and leaving the Qualis far behind soon.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Great article Dan. I was blown away by Klein vs Millot, what a battle. And Paire was there watching the entire match in that heat and sun. Best match of the day. But a close second was Su Wei Hsieh vs K Chen which also went to 74 in the third set breaker with Chen battling back from 0-4 in the third. Hsieh is 32 now and looked stiff and exhausted on her slow walk back to the locker room. She has no weapons but her guile and craftiness. She is pound for pound one of the best, weak serve, bunt one hand forehand, average two hand forehand, good two hander backhand but exceptional drop shots and lobs and ability to mix up speeds and spins and heights. What a joy to watch, though who knows how much longer she will be around playing majors as she is ranked just outside 100.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

I was told Santillan called for the timeout at 4-4 and then started throwing up at his chair and then somehow mustered the strength to win 64 in the third. Ofner, who beat Sock this year, refused the handshake and Santillan had to be helped off the court. Ofner was an unknown Austrian two years ago but he suddenly has emerged now as the no. 2 Austrian. A friend Rupert is from the same town in Austria as Ofner and he had heard of him only as a "good local player" but now he's showing at 21 and with very little ATP Tour experience that he can win matches at the main Tour level which is amazing because with more experience he will soon be winning ATP tournaments. He has a very impressive game, and a deadly accurate and reliable two hander. Santillan has a Rios swagger. These are two guys to keep an eye on.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Kozlov was up 42 but then lost 64 61 to the same guy he lost to two years ago, Guido Andreozzi of Argentina. Kozlov looked spiritless and lacking confidence after a rough year on the ATP main tour where losses have been the norm ( Wash DC, Cincy, Indy Wells, Miami, FO and Wimb qualies ). One fan said he looks "washed up" already at 19 because he has no weapons. My friend said he does not look in shape. Kozlov is ranked around 140 now but he's not proven that he can survive yet at the ATP main tour level. Opelka had a nice win a third set breaker vs Sarkissian. Opelka was up 2-1 and then hit a backhand crosscourt return that clipped the net and then Sarkissian moved in to line up a forehand up the lind but he missed it an inch wide. That was the margin and then a second miss gave the win to Opelka who showed a lot of fire and fury. Opelka fired a two hand bh winner up the line off a second serve in the deuce court to clinch the win. A return that I have never seen Isner convert for a winner. Patty Schnyder plays tomorrow. Yes. Patty Schnyder.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Duke Carnoustie writes:

Patty Schnyder! Incredible. She never lost to Steffi Graf. Look it up.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
catherine writes:

'talk and give directives during the match' - what a potentially chaotic scenario. Maybe ok in a qualifying tournament but higher up can you imagine ? I think the world's gone mad.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hartt writes:

Dan and Scoop, did you notice any effects of the rule changes, such as the time clock?

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
dan markowitz writes:

Nope, Catherine, love the coach being able to talk during the match. Why not!? It just brings a little intrigue. I mean what's the coach going to really say? "Hit this spot on your serve." "Attack his backhand." I mean when I heard Hahn coaching Kudla (and btw, don't you just love when a player fires a coach and says something like, "My coach just had a baby so I know he wants to take time off" and then the coach is back with another player in a month) it wasn't anything too profound Hahn was saying. It was more like, "C'mon, big game here." I also love the shot clock. It's all black and white. As soon as the point ends, up on the scoreboard you start seeing the 25 seconds count down. And it's amazing, most of the time I watched it, the player would get down to 5 seconds or so before he served. It wasn't like players were taking only 10 seconds between points, but it was very hot yesterday and there was a lot of players using towels and walking around dazed. Anyone out at the Open today, come say hello to me. I'll be at the Will Blumberg match. Will is from Greenwich, CT and as I write this now, I'm at my yoga studio in Norwalk, CT.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
jg writes:

Looks like Blumberg has a winnable match, would like to see him play tomorrow or Friday, Dan where did he train during high school?

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
catherine writes:

Dan - if the coach says anything significant and loud enough to carry then it's going to be heard by a lot of people, including the player's opponent. Not much intrigue there. And if it's not significant or helpful then why say it ? Just a cacophony. And maybe confusing for the person who's supposedly benefitting. Too much noise around in the world IMO :)

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

I saw players like Chen and Kozlov go over to the side fence to talk with their coaches in like a sort of huddle. I think it makes the sport look unprofessional and more like a match or recreation tourney at the public park which makes the game look more normal and possibly appealing to the public. Plus it's more interesting for fans to watch instead of just looking at the players sitting in their chairs during changeovers sipping out of a bottle. Which could be yawn-inducing to some. I like this OCC. Every time I saw it the coach never came on the court, it was the player going over to the coach who was always in the front row on the side of the court.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
jg writes:

There may be something to Kozlov not being in shape, he retired in D.C. And looked wiped out after one set, maybe he's eating too much junk food!

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
catherine writes:

Scoop - how can you say this stuff makes the game look 'unprofessional' and then come out and say how much you love it ? This is the USO qualifying, not a public park. Do fans have that short attention spans that they can't wait for players to finish sitting in their chairs at changeovers ? And most of the time they won't hear what's being said anyway if player/coach are in a huddle. Can you seriously see this happening at major tournaments - where the tennis being played is far from 'normal', a reason people pay to see it.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

jg; Kozlov just looks like a regular guy. Has to look ripped and shredded like you :) I hear all these young Americans think Chipotle is optimum nutrition but it's not. They have to do better. I know Kozlov works hard, I've seen him go out on court after matches and train and drill and do sprints. Confidence is the main issue right now. Look at his recent activity. A lot of Ls in main tour matches.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine; Mixed emotions about OCC. Only noticed it a couple of times. When you see a player go to the side fence it almost appears as if he's chatting with a fan. It does bring the players closer to the fans and it also gives the fans something to observe and learn from. It is always interesting to see a player talk to his coach, especially if you can hear the discussion. In boxing some of the greatest golden moments in history were captured by TV cameras in ring corners where the trainer was coaching his fighter. Angelo Dundee imploring Ray Leonard "You're blowing it, son" vs Thomas Hearns. Mickey Duff begging John The Beast Mugabi "don't give up" after Hagler took his best punch. Mugabi gave up in the next round. Emanuel Steward pleading with Lennox Lewis to finish Tyson before "you get hit with some crazy shit." Could go on and on. I think this could be good for tennis but it is a bit strange to see a player talking to a guy in the stands at the side fence. The coach should actually come on to the court and go to the player's chair, not the other way around.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
catherine writes:

Off topic - Boris Becker has been announced as head of German men's tennis. Tennis has apparently slid way down the list in popularity since the days of Steffi and Boris. With Zverev around you'd imagine that situation will change. So Boris has chosen the right moment. Who's head of German women's tennis ? No one apparently. So Angie and her cohort struggle on leaderless :)

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hartt writes:

Sascha has been named as the final player for Team Europe in Laver Cup by Captain Bjorn Borg. John McEnroe, captain of Team World, named Delpo and Denis Shapovalov as his 2 picks. That is quite an honour for an 18-year-old youngster! Team World has a lot of big servers - Raonic, Isner, Querrey. So although Denis has a very good serve, he will be a contrast to the rest of the team. Maybe McEnroe does indeed see something of himself in the young lefty. :)

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Duke Carnoustie writes:

Scoop, please tell me you are joking that these American players think Chipotle is nutrituous. Somehow I think you are not.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

It's a wise pick Hartt. I would compare Shapovalov beating Rafa in Canada to Rafa beating Fed in Miami and Fed beating Sampras at Wimbledon.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Afraid not Duke. Kozlov, Sock, Tiafoe are all Chipotle diehards. I'm sure there are many more too. The food system pyramid in USA is rubbish. Absolute rubbish. Going to send an email to poppa Kozlov to try to correct this problem.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
scoop Pro Tennis (Mens) 6