Brisbane International 2018, Queensland, Australia - ATP 250

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, no one seemed to notice that I thought Kyrgios v. Dimitrov was the final. Nick plays Ryan Harrison tomorrow in the final. I'll be surprised if he doesn't win it, but good on Harrison for making the final.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
OK, no one seemed to notice that I thought Kyrgios v. Dimitrov was the final. Nick plays Ryan Harrison tomorrow in the final. I'll be surprised if he doesn't win it, but good on Harrison for making the final.

Harrison had it easy going through a WC barely in the top 200 while #3 Kyrgios had to overcome #1 Grigor! That just ain't right! :whistle: :facepalm: :rolleyes:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Shows how much attention folks (including me) pay when none 3+1+1 are not in play.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Um...Roger, Rafa, Novak, Andy and Stan??

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Kyrgios vs. Big Three:
Roger 1-1
Rafa 2-3
Novak 2-0
Overall: 5-4

I'm guessing he's the only player to have a winning record against the three together.

Ironically enough he's 0-5 vs Andy Murray. Go figure.

Reactions: Puppet Master

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Kyrgios vs. Big Three:
Roger 1-1
Rafa 2-3
Novak 2-0

I'm guessing he's the only player to have a winning record against the three together.

Active, maybe. Hrbaty has a winning record against the three combined. He has a winning record against both Fedal halfs and 0-1 to Djokovic, 1-1 if you count a challenger level match (which I do not see why should not count).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So Nick won the title, anyway. Played some great tennis today.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

I flipped by between sets and couldn't understand Nick's kvetchin'! He's obviously superior to Harrison so I will never be able to fathom these tirades, going after the officials, and being so concerned about what the other player is doing or not doing! :whistle: :eek: :rolleyes: :oops:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I flipped by between sets and couldn't understand Nick's kvetchin'! He obviously superior to Harrison so I will never be able to fathom these tirades, going after the officials, and being so concerned about what the other player is doing or not doing! :whistle: :eek: :rolleyes: :oops:
He was about to serve out the set, and Harrison was still sitting in his chair, with Nick staring daggers at him. And then, after he won the set, Harrison went to change clothes and Nick thought he took too long. I don't really mind that he did some jarring at the chair...maybe helped keep his energy up.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Kyrgios vs. Big Three:
Roger 1-1
Rafa 2-3
Novak 2-0

Ironically enough he's 0-5 vs Andy Murray. Go figure.

As one of the talking heads on ESPN noted about Kyrgios not beating Murray - he likes Andy and is good friends with him ( Kyrgios himself has said that Murray's one of his best friends on tour). But...it's not so much the case with the other 3...and that Andy, bless his heart, doesn't really have the stature in the game that Kyrgios seems to have a grudge against and feels the need to try to take down. IIRC this was Chris Fowler on ESPN . He also said there's no edginess to Kyrgios when plays Murray but when he plays Fedalovic - he's acts like he's got an ax to grind... and that none of the 3 understand his "grudge" attitude toward/about them. John McEnroe of course thinks this is the kind of attitude that more players need towards the Big 3 so that they can beat them.

Reactions: El Dude and Moxie

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions

When someone says "great tennis" was played by 2 lower ranked guys...I always say it's relative to who they played... Ahem...Ryan Harrison...career record 93-129...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When someone says "great tennis" was played by 2 lower ranked guys...I always say it's relative to who they played... Ahem...Ryan Harrison...career record 93-129...
I take your point, but irrespective of the opponent, I do think Nick played some great tennis today. And Harrison was better than I've seen him in a while. I'm in the camp of think that Nick has an elite talent, so I don't think of him as a "lesser" player. But sure, it's always relative.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
As one of the talking heads on ESPN noted about Kyrgios not beating Murray - he likes Andy and is good friends with him ( Kyrgios himself has said that Murray's one of his best friends on tour). But...it's not so much the case with the other 3...and that Andy, bless his heart, doesn't really have the stature in the game that Kyrgios seems to have a grudge against and feels the need to try to take down. IIRC this was Chris Fowler on ESPN . He also said there's no edginess to Kyrgios when plays Murray but when he plays Fedalovic - he's acts like he's got an ax to grind... and that none of the 3 understand his "grudge" attitude toward/about them. John McEnroe of course thinks this is the kind of attitude that more players need towards the Big 3 so that they can beat them.

I really like this point. I think we're already seeing this with NextGen - not only Kyrgios, but Zverev holding his own. I could see someone like Angry Rublev upsetting the Big 3/4 this year.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions

Ok... Since I know reasonably well the posters in the conversation here, I can be more straightforward (I have in mind not only the last posts here but also one new thread opened by Scoop, I won't reply there as do not want to be the party's spoiler all the time, and I know where he is coming from).

The idea that Kyrgios only gives his best against the big 3 is the greatest piece of tennis fiction I ever seen. Really, I give more credit to the Cali's notion that Nalbandian is the greatest player of all time than this (I really do).

Without even mentioning that it is very common for one player to look better when facing a superior adversary, without mentioning that in all losses to Nadal that idea showed to be completely false, there is the context of his matches against the big 3 -- he played Djokovic probably in his worst spell since 2011, he beat Federer when he was far away from his prime, and he beat Nadal (one time) on grass (were he lost to a bunch of guys). It is still an accomplishment what he did? Hell it is. But -- and this is the point -- it is far away from beating "prime big 3" playing their best. He would be 0-9 or 1-8 against big 3 playing their A- games.

I can not even start to answer posts as the OP in the other thread I mentioned -- where is suggested that Kyrgios is taking the game to unprecedented levels... really? While not being able to fire a decent forehand if it is not almost at his shoulders level? What bothers me is that I like the guy, I think he is a good player, I like his focus and his fearless attitude, but this giant absurd over-hype really, really, REALLY drives me mad. This kind of over-hype, in fact, will probably hurt Kyrgios himself, if it becomes widespread.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
congrats to bad Nick, great to win "at home"