Best player never to win a Slam?

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It has to be Halep because she has already reached two grand slam finals. Safina and Jankovic are the others for me.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
JJ is a good mention. She definitely is/was an underachiever and now it's too late for her. I do think Halep will break through but as of now she's probably the best not to win one since I've been (loosely) following the WTA.
You never know with the ladies..who ever thought M Lucic would make a comeback..she was off the planet., JJ may have another run in her..as for Halep.I think she will she just needs to face someone like Keys in the finals ..a bigger choker than herself ..LoL

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
JJ is a good mention. She definitely is/was an underachiever and now it's too late for her. I do think Halep will break through but as of now she's probably the best not to win one since I've been (loosely) following the WTA.
AO was the first time JJ has missed a grand slam appearance..she must still be recovering..she maybe done

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Which one aside from RG 17 and AO 18? Did she lose one to Serena?

EDIT: she lost a French to Juiceapova I think.
HALEP is the one player that you to play in a grandslam final .. Everyone has totally played each final more aggressively than she has.. I bet she doesnt sleep at night too well or really must go through a lot of vices like cigarettes or etc.. too bad she is a very talented player

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Which one aside from RG 17 and AO 18? Did she lose one to Serena?

EDIT: she lost a French to Juiceapova I think.
Never faced Serena in a slam final. Now that I think about it, don't believe she's ever faced Serena in slam above the 4th round. You're right. Halep lost to Pova in RG 14 final. Just like RG 17, a match she had the chance to win and choked it.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Never faced Serena in a slam final. Now that I think about it, don't believe she's ever faced Serena in slam above the 4th round. You're right. Halep lost to Pova in RG 14 final. Just like RG 17, a match she had the chance to win and choked it.
Halep rose to fame when she won against Serena in RR in WTF. She had a chance to tank a match and prevent Serena from progressing. But, she did not, took a high road and allowed Serena to squeak in (IMO, it was a bad move. I am a tennis puritan and yet I think it is proper to tank a match under these circumstances). Then she lost to Serena in the final of that WTF when they played second time.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Halep rose to fame when she won against Serena in RR in WTF. She had a chance to tank a match and prevent Serena from progressing. But, she did not, took a high road and allowed Serena to squeak in (IMO, it was a bad move. I am a tennis puritan and yet I think it is proper to tank a match under these circumstances). Then she lost to Serena in the final of that WTF when they played second time.
Nope. She was already a name because she lost to Pova at RG that same year and then lost another winnable match to Genie in the Wimby SF.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, I guess Madison should be up there

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Elena Dementieva or Vera Zvonareva for me. The latter was really kicking some ass before her shoulder injury. Very sad how her career went downhill after that.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was thinking this was about players that are still playing and who have been close as being in the running. I was not considering people from the past who have retired or are older and way down the list in terms of ranking. That’s why I said Madison would be one of them. I also think Svitolina should be considered one of them.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
@shawnbm I think it started out as a discussion about current players and then evolved to all players who never won a slam.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh, well, that opens a lot of the ones mentioned previously then. I vote for Anna Kournikova? LOL!

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
I was thinking this was about players that are still playing and who have been close as being in the running. I was not considering people from the past who have retired or are older and way down the list in terms of ranking. That’s why I said Madison would be one of them. I also think Svitolina should be considered one of them.

Yep, Svitolina.