Best player never to win a Slam?

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
My knowledge of the WTA is rather thin, so I don't know the answer to my question without doing substantial research. But Wozniacki's win at the WTA Finals got me thinking: Is she the best player to never win a Slam (so far), or at least on the short list?

Another name that comes to mind is Agnieska Radwanska. And then there's Simona Halep, but her career isn't quite as deep as the other two.

Who else? I'd like to emphasize the last 20ish years, but go back as far as you want. Who is the best recent player not to win a Slam? What about all-time?

Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Hey Dude! Best current player to never win a slam is Woz. With Aga and Simona in 2nd place. Other players from previous generations who were pretty good but didn't get a slam either: Safina, Jankovic, Dementieva, Sukova, Shriver, Fernandez, Garrison and Rosie Casals.

Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Hey Dude! Best current player to never win a slam is Woz. With Aga and Simona in 2nd place. Other players from previous generations who were pretty good but didn't get a slam either: Safina, Jankovic, Dementieva, Sukova, Shriver, Fernandez, Garrison and Rosie Casals.

Doesn't Dementieva have a better overall record than Woz? Just asking.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Doesn't Dementieva have a better overall record than Woz? Just asking.
Don't think so. Woz was #1 for at least a year, reached 2 slam finals and has won WTF. Don't believe Elena reached those same heights. I'm pretty sure she was never #1.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Don't think so. Woz was #1 for at least a year, reached 2 slam finals and has won WTF. Don't believe Elena reached those same heights. I'm pretty sure she was never #1.

Woz actually finished YE#1 two times, I remember that much. I have to check how many times, ED was runner up in slams (I think it is more).
ED also won some medals in Olympics.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Woz actually finished YE#1 two times, I remember that much. I have to check how many times, ED was runner up in slams (I think it is more).
ED also won some medals in Olympics.
She did reach 2 slam finals in the same year, but still not better results than Woz. I remember her slam results because it opened the door for the Russian invasion of tennis back then. Myskina would win RG, Sharapova would win Wimby and Sveta the USO. Reaching number 1 is a big achievement that she doesn't own. She won a singles gold and silver medal at 2 different OG.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dementieva was a compelling player but she had serious head and serve issues, if I remember correctly.

Reactions: shawnbm

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If ED was allowed to play each point starting from only the second stroke, I am sure she would have won at least five slams if not more.

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm so glad for Caroline that she's gotten this monkey off her back. She was #1 for a long time without a Major, and took crap for it constantly. I hope she sees more hardware in the bigs. Halep has been in 2 Major finals in 8 months. She's getting closer. And she had to tough out a rolled ankle in Oz this year. I hope she keeps Cahill, as I think he's good for her. I think she'll get there. I feel less sure about Radwanska.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
JJ is still playing but her ranking is so low I think she has to qualify for slams now.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
JJ is still playing but her ranking is so low I think she has to qualify for slams now.
That's been kind of a weird career. Mostly injury, or mostly head, would you say?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
@Moxie I would say she needed a sports psych too
I would say its JJ.. She was more talented than her country woman pretty Ana but she couldnt hold it together upstairs.. I would stil JJ, ED then Aga before Halep.. Aga has got to be encouraged seeing Wozy winning a major.. I still cant believe Sloane won a title before Madison.. To win a title you have to be poise and fearless..

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rosie Casals was a top player who never broke through in the slams. Currently, I give it to Simona and then Aga. Both have been fabulous for years and have made it to the big dance and fallen just short.

Reactions: britbox and Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Vera Zvonareva was a headcase but a player I liked. Reckon she could've gone 1 step further if not for her unfortunate shoulder injury and subsequent surgery. Since she returned, she's been pretty much redundant.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I would say its JJ.. She was more talented than her country woman pretty Ana but she couldnt hold it together upstairs.. I would stil JJ, ED then Aga before Halep.. Aga has got to be encouraged seeing Wozy winning a major.. I still cant believe Sloane won a title before Madison.. To win a title you have to be poise and fearless..

JJ is a good mention. She definitely is/was an underachiever and now it's too late for her. I do think Halep will break through but as of now she's probably the best not to win one since I've been (loosely) following the WTA.