BB&T Atlanta Open

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Johnson is sent home as well. Not a good start for the higher ranked Americans. Gonna be a long summer?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Johnson is sent home as well. Not a good start for the higher ranked Americans. Gonna be a long summer?

Been a lot of long, hot summers for the US men for some time now. :( Disappointed by Sock. But Kudla is still in...

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Kirijax said:

Been a lot of long, hot summers for the US men for some time now. :( Disappointed by Sock. But Kudla is still in...

Haha, that's true, Moxie. Boy has it been a long hit scorcher of a summer for the men. Twelve years since an American Grand Slam champion. With all our resources available, that's pretty damning evidence that the USTA has really failed in their job.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Moxie629 said:
Kirijax said:

Haha, that's true, Moxie. Boy has it been a long hit scorcher of a summer for the men. Twelve years since an American Grand Slam champion. With all our resources available, that's pretty damning evidence that the USTA has really failed in their job.

I was thinking about this yesterday, and I think you're right. If there were a specific finger to point, it has to be at them. We talk about tennis not being as popular in the US, but it's a far more lucrative sport than it was when we did have winning players on the men's side. And we should have an enormous talent pool to pull from, if we fostered it. It makes sense that the US women do better...tennis is the most well-paid sport for women, I think. But much smaller countries are producing superior players on the men's side, and their commitment to tennis, their strong federations has to have something to do with it.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
that tiafoe bloke who lost to sam groth in first round will still improve his rank..losing in 1st rd does get a few rank points, or maybe not I dunnoooooooooo.

5 points if the main draw is larger than 32. zero points it is then.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Kirijax said:
Moxie629 said:

I was thinking about this yesterday, and I think you're right. If there were a specific finger to point, it has to be at them. We talk about tennis not being as popular in the US, but it's a far more lucrative sport than it was when we did have winning players on the men's side. And we should have an enormous talent pool to pull from, if we fostered it. It makes sense that the US women do better...tennis is the most well-paid sport for women, I think. But much smaller countries are producing superior players on the men's side, and their commitment to tennis, their strong federations has to have something to do with it.

What is the big deal? The higher ranked promising American was taken out by another promising American, indeed lower ranked but at the same age. So technically, not such a bad outcome.
I am actually happy to see that Kudla follows up on his good run at Wimbledon.
As far as USTA, the story is very old. Let's not act like is a novelty.
As Remarque said "All quiet on the western front"

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
that tiafoe bloke who lost to sam groth in first round will still improve his rank..losing in 1st rd does get a few rank points, or maybe not I dunnoooooooooo.

5 points if the main is larger than 32. zero points it is then.

He seriously should be better of playing challengers. He would move up faster.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Moxie629 said:
Kirijax said:

What is the big deal? The higher ranked promising American was taken out by another promising American, indeed lower ranked but at the same age. So technically, not such a bad outcome.

Happy for Kudla too of course. But I thought Sock had a better chance than Kudla of taking the tournament. My confidence in Isner is gone. It would be great to see Kudla win the whole shebang but I don't think he's anywhere near that level.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
herios said:
Moxie629 said:

Happy for Kudla too of course. But I thought Sock had a better chance than Kudla of taking the tournament. My confidence in Isner is gone. It would be great to see Kudla win the whole shebang but I don't think he's anywhere near that level.

He has to start somewhere. What can he do, he just bumped into one past USTA hope, Harrison and the current one "Sock". He took care of both.
Let's see now how he does against Sela.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
herios said:
JesuslookslikeBorg said:

5 points if the main is larger than 32. zero points it is then.

He seriously should be better of playing challengers. He would move up faster.

I sort of get your point, but would like if you would elaborate. It's an interesting thing.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He could win there faster ranking points.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What did I say that Kudla is on the move??
Kudla - Sela 7-5, 6-0.7:clap

He is marching through the US ranking rather fast.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1 set all and now even in the third

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So close! Isner takes it 7-5 in the third. Good try by Kudla though. His ranking will move up to about No. 79. :clap

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
So close! Isner takes it 7-5 in the third. Good try by Kudla though. His ranking will move up to about No. 79. :clap

What a huge advantage for isner because he resting while Mul & Baggy battle in the heat of the Atlanta tonight.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Saturday's Results!

Semifinals
(1) J Isner (USA) bt D Kudla (USA) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
(5) M Baghdatis (CYP) bt G Muller (LUX) (7) 6-7(4), 6-3, 7-6(4)

Isner will be going for his 10th career title and first this year. Baghdatis will try for his 5th title. Isner leads their H2H 5-0.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Baghdatis, the occasional Phoenix.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Isner beats Baghdatis 6-3, 6-3 and wins his 10th ATP title! This is USA's third title this year, after Sock (Houston) and Ram (Newport). And it passes the number of titles won last year.

The Bryan Brothers won their 107th title as well.