3 Gilles Muller
4 Ryan Harrison
5 Kyle Edmund
6 Donald Young
7 Hyeon Chung
8 Jared Donaldson

atlanta_tournimage.jpg

The Tournament:

Embracing the hustle and bustle of Atlanta's I-75 and I-85 corridors, the BB&T Atlanta Open is an annual men's tournament played at Atlanta Athletic Club. The tournament's change in surface and name came with a change of date to be closer to the start of the US Open. The event gained the attention of the world's best players and became a premier warm-up stop for the US Open.
Midtown_HDR_Atlanta.jpg
atl_mlk_mem_002.jpg
Little-Five-Points-52798.jpg

About City

Atlanta is the sprawling capital of Georgia. It played an important part in both the Civil War and the 1960s Civil Rights Movement. It hosted the 1996 Summer Olympic Games, is boasts the excellent High Museum. It is also the International headquarters of Coca-Cola.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
o6Jvgtq.png

Last edited:

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
still injured bad Nick pulled out

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, as many as three seeded non-yanks.
Not really surprising that a lot of US players play. The clay guys/Europeans getting the last out of their season there. Likely that not a lot of non-Yanks are willing to travel to the US for the 'pleasure' of playing in Atlanta in July, when they'll likely be looking at a fair stint in the US coming up soon.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Chung is out, d. by 20-yr-old American Tommy Paul, qualifier.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This tourney marks the start of the stupid US Open Series and the associated stupid bonus challenge.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This tourney marks the start of the stupid US Open Series and the associated stupid bonus challenge.
I do get why the USTA would gin up this part of the calendar, as I'm sure you do. While IW and Miami are very important, this is the North American swing, it's summer, post-Wimbledon, pre-USO, and people in the US may watch more tennis. (Need I point out there's no football or basketball?) I can see why the USTA pushes this part. So what's the bit you find stupid? Please don't tell me it's that Rafa has won it and Roger hasn't. That would be petty.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I do get why the USTA would gin up this part of the calendar, as I'm sure you do. While IW and Miami are very important, this is the North American swing, it's summer, post-Wimbledon, pre-USO, and people in the US may watch more tennis. (Need I point out there's no football or basketball?) I can see why the USTA pushes this part. So what's the bit you find stupid? Please don't tell me it's that Rafa has won it and Roger hasn't. That would be petty.

As usual you are speaking off the hat First of all Federer has won it also.

The reason the bonus challenge is stupid is that it is not serving the purpose. The original idea behind the bonus challenge was that it would entice more European players to play in this series. But, that never panned out. There generally was no non-American player playing in these tourneys (who otherwise would not play) due to these challenge.

After seeing big name players like Fed and Rafa simply winning it, by winning both NAHC masters in the same year, they changed the formula saying that your points double if you win points in three or more tourneys. Even then Isner has not managed to win this series. After the change in formula, it is pretty much guaranteed that winner of US Open series will not win US Open. So, Emirates gets lot of free ad without actually ponying up any money.

IMHO, whatever money they are spending on this is probably better spent in new player development for USTA.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When did Roger win it?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
As anticipated, Isner has signed up for all six weeks continuously.

week 1; Newport
week 2: Atlanta
week 3: Washington
week 4: Montreal
week 5: Cincy
week 6: Winston-Salem

I suppose after six weeks, at USO he will lose in the first round. When will he learn?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
As anticipated, Isner has signed up for all six weeks continuously.

week 1; Newport
week 2: Atlanta
week 3: Washington
week 4: Montreal
week 5: Cincy
week 6: Winston-Salem

I suppose after six weeks, at USO he will lose in the first round. When will he learn?

He is in for the money

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Isner beat Harrison in two TBs. Maybe he'll drop something off of his USO series schedule, then.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Isner beat Harrison in two TBs. Maybe he'll drop something off of his USO series schedule, then.

I doubt it. He won't miss Washington as it is 500. He obviously won't miss the two masters. Winston-Salem is his hometown tourney and so he won't miss it either.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I was thinking about the 2 Master & USO combo. Thanks.

No, he has not done that. He won the USO series and the US Open in the same year, thus getting the bonus check.
IIRC, he lost to Novak in Canada that year.

After Roddick in 2003, only Rafa did that in 2013. I don't know whether anyone did it before Roddick.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I doubt it. He won't miss Washington as it is 500. He obviously won't miss the two masters. Winston-Salem is his hometown tourney and so he won't miss it either.
Well, then, maybe he's just a realist. He's never going to win a Major, and this is a time of year for him to rake in a lot of money and points.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, then, maybe he's just a realist. He's never going to win a Major, and this is a time of year for him to rake in a lot of money and points.

Nobody is expecting Isner to win the US Open. However, I think he should be capable of reaching at least a QF at least one year. He has not even managed to do that. Even money and points wise, I guess going deeper at USO probably gives more value than winning an Atlanta or WS.