ATP website's new format

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Has anyone else checked it out and found it unwieldy and much less user-friendly?

http://www.atpworldtour.com

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I like it. It may take a bit getting use to but I think it is very sharp and befitting of the main site of the greatest sport on earth. Very sharp looking.

cb2de2fe-e662-4ae2-a1d5-ea62ce480006_zpsd6y7ubik.png

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Seems like they've used the template from XBMC

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It LOOKS good, but it takes extra steps to get to H2Hs, and tournament information, and the live scores are no longer available at the top of the page. They want you to get the app. I'm sure the rest can be gotten used to, but the new format doesn't fix anything I thought it was crappy at, before. It just makes awkward all the stuff it used to do really efficiently. I'm not excited just because it has a whizzy new design, if it doesn't function well. However, I will try to play around to see if I can get the hang of it, and not just be an old crab.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
It LOOKS good, but it takes extra steps to get to H2Hs, and tournament information, and the live scores are no longer available at the top of the page. They want you to get the app. I'm sure the rest can be gotten used to, but the new format doesn't fix anything I thought it was crappy at, before. It just makes awkward all the stuff it used to do really efficiently. I'm not excited just because it has a whizzy new design, if it doesn't function well.

Ah, well, I never use the scoreboards any way. I go to one place that updates every sport I want to check by the second, so that has become my go-to-spot for live scores.

memad

Club Member
Reactions
agree..it is changed keeping phone-users in mind...but we desktop/ lappy users suffer

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to get to H2Hs. But it looks pretty.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Not sure why but I didn't have trouble finding the H2H. I think it looks great! Pretty easy to use on my smartphone too.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Not sure why but I didn't have trouble finding the H2H. I think it looks great! Pretty easy to use on my smartphone too.

I can't get to the H2Hs either, and I also have gotten a lot of error messages. I think they have a lot of kinks to work out. Question: have you ONLY tried using it on your smartphone?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I was on the atp site for not very long..i looked at the world rank charts, and managed to fit in the top7 rather than the top 50-60 or whatever on the old layout before needeing to scroll down.

..and no I didn't accidently change the zoom to 300% without noticing, that was a few days ago, so maybe its settled down/will settle down/alter.

don't forget the recent abandoned changes to talktennis (warehouse)..that went down like a lead balloon too, and soon changed back lol.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Kirijax said:

I can't get to the H2Hs either, and I also have gotten a lot of error messages. I think they have a lot of kinks to work out. Question: have you ONLY tried using it on your smartphone?

I used it on my desktop with Google Chrome first. Zero problems. And checked it out on my smartphone earlier today. Zero problems. But I'm sure they have bugs that need to be worked out. I like it a whole lot better than what it was. Very tennis worthy.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It looks pretty certainly. But, being functional (that is users being able to get to the information they want quickly) is more important. They sacrificed the basic functionality for prettiness.
In fact, these two are not necessarily mutually exclusive and they can have both functionality and prettiness.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
It looks pretty certainly. But, being functional (that is users being able to get to the information they want quickly) is more important. They sacrificed the basic functionality for prettiness.
In fact, these two are not necessarily mutually exclusive and they can have both functionality and prettiness.

I'm sure they'll work it out, or I hope so, because that would be a lost resource, if they don't. They're asking for feedback and I provided mine. I'd encourage everyone to do that.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not that keen and I don't think it looks *bad* but UX (User Experience) over UI (User Interface) for me. It's not simple enough to find what you are a looking for (as somebody else mentioned... H2H).

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Just looked at their new layout. :cover

One word: where's everything? :cover

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
Honestly, it doesn't look THAT good, but it became difficult to see what's what. People are complaining like crazy in the comments, I hope it gets changed soon. I appreciate the innovation, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
For me it is close to a disaster, like most new web-sites. It hides information, and I can bet it has less information than before. It is not made for the ones who know what they are looking for, is made for the occasional passer-by. It is focused on the looks, not on the content.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the world rank page was still crap yesterday,

so I/m not going on there again much unless things change.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
One thing I did wonder is, "Why now?!" At the height of the Grand Slam season, when traffic is probably the heaviest. Any time you do something like this, you know there are going to be kinks to work out and the system will crash a few times before everything is running right. Maybe they were going for getting everyone excited when they came to the site, but I think the timing would chase people away instead. Just seems like a very odd time to do such a thing.