ATP Calendar - Should the tennis year be shortened?

Would you shorten the tennis calendar? Why or why not? How?

• Calendar should stay as it is

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Calendar should be shorter

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • A shorter calendar would extend players' careers

• A shorter calendar would disrupt the current point system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To shorten the calendar, I like moving that AO to later

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • To shorten the calendar, I think we should drop one MS1000

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Drop Monte Carlo

• Drop Bercy

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Drop Madrid

• Drop Cincinnati...the US has 3 MS and one Major

• Add a MS1000 on grass, even though we have no idea how to do this

• Total voters

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with everyone on keeping Bo5 at the Majors. I think it's the only event left that still uses that format, since the MS finals quit using and so did Davis Cup. It really leads to epic matches, and, as @tented mentioned, you mess up all the stats going forward. I do still think women should play Bo5 at Majors, too. Djokovic's reasoning was that younger people won't be as interested in the longer matches, but I don't buy that. People who love American football sit in the freezing cold for 4+ hours all the time. I don't like sacrificing the drama of the sport for some peoples' supposed short attention spans. And it's only 4 tournaments a year.

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree with everyone on keeping Bo5 at the Majors. I think it's the only event left that still uses that format, since the MS finals quit using and so did Davis Cup. It really leads to epic matches, and, as @tented mentioned, you mess up all the stats going forward. I do still think women should play Bo5 at Majors, too. Djokovic's reasoning was that younger people won't be as interested in the longer matches, but I don't buy that. People who love American football sit in the freezing cold for 4+ hours all the time. I don't like sacrificing the drama of the sport for some peoples' supposed short attention spans. And it's only 4 tournaments a year.
Quite frankly I wish they did not change the final of Masters Tournaments from the best of five,to the best of 3 matches

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Quite frankly I wish they did not change the final of Masters Tournaments from the best of five,to the best of 3 matches
We know why they did...because Rafa and Roger beat each other up in the Rome final 2006, and then they both bailed on Hamburg. But it was very short-sighted, as if the only two players who would matter again were Roger and Rafa. If they'd waited it out, they might have kept the format, and it would have given more prestige to the MS1000s. To that question: why is the YEC never in any Bo5 format? If they want to be a near-equivalent to a Major, they could play Bo5 in the finals there. Or SF and Finals.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know these all go without saying, but since Djokovic brought it up, if they went with Bo3 format this past year, Tsitsipas would have won the French Open. The 2008 Wimbledon final, still considered by many to be the greatest singles match of all time, would have been over in a couple hours. (The outcome wouldn't have changed, but it would have been a pedestrian match, rather than an amazing one.) Federer, not Djokovic, would have played Nadal, in the 2010 USO final. We could go on, but the point is that there is nothing like a great best-of-five sets match. Which is why I think the women should play them, too. Four times a year, and just in singles, is all I'm asking.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Get rid of IW and Miami. Pointless tournaments in the middle of nowhere. The next slam is a clay slam anyway and MS tournaments are warmups for slams so no point keeping them.

Get rid of MC and add a grass MS instead. No need for 3 clay MS and 0 grass MS. This change should be the most immediate of all.

Get rid of Canada MS. Noone plays there anyway as it's too close to Wimbledon. The emotional high/low after Wimbledon is too much for the top players.

Keep one of Shanghai or Bercy. One is enough prep work for the WTF.

Have Laver Cup at the end of the season or get rid of it completely, prefer the latter. Stupid to have exhos in the middle of the season where a player can pick up a needless injury.

There you have it. A common sense schedule everyone can agree with.

Last edited: