ATP: Best player to only win one slam

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Inspired by a WTA thread. Who do you think is the best player to only have won one Grand Slam title?
My rank:

1. Andy Roddick (+3 Wimbledon finals, world no 1, and had character too)
2. Goran Ivanisevic (+2 Wimbledon finals, world no 2, and funny IMO)
3. Richard Krajicek (beat the unbeatable at QF Wimbledon 1996)
4. Thomas Muster (just think the guy is hilarious, and a very good clay court player)
5. Carlos Moya (long career, good overall results)

Here is a list of players to pick from:

Fred Alexander, Wilmer Allison, Malcolm Anderson, József Asbóth, Marcel Bernard, William Bowrey, Pat Cash, Michael Chang, William Clothier, Albert Costa, Sven Davidson, John Doeg, Mark Edmondson, Bob Falkenburg, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Gastón Gaudio, Rhys Gemmell, Vitas Gerulaitis, Andrés Gimeno, Andrés Gómez, Spencer Gore, John Gregory, Frank Hadow, William Hamilton, John Hartley, John Hawkes, Henner Henkel, Fred Hovey, Joseph Hunt, Goran Ivanišević, Thomas Johansson, Algernon Kingscote, Richard Krajicek, Petr Korda, Arthur Larsen, Herbert Lawford, Francis Lowe, Harold Mahoney, Vivian McGrath, Ken McGregor, Chuck McKinley, Edgar Moon, Carlos Moyá, Andy Murray, Thomas Muster, Yannick Noah, Arthur O'Hara Wood, Manuel Orantes, Rafael Osuna, Dinny Pails, Adriano Panatta, James Parke, Ernie Parker, Yvon Petra, Juan Martín del Potro, Ernest Renshaw, Horace Rice, Tony Roche, Andy Roddick, Michael Stich, Roscoe Tanner, Brian Teacher, Holcombe Ward, Sidney Wood, Beals Wright

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
-1 Andy Murray
-2 Andy Roddick
-3 Goran Ivanisevic
-4 Vitas Gerulaitis (although his AO win came when it didn't have the status that it has today)
-5 Thomas Muster

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Vitas Gerulaitis. Had to look him up. Seems like a good choice, tragic story.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Vitas Gerulaitis. Had to look him up. Seems like a good choice, tragic story.
Yup. And he was a bit in the position that Murray is in today in that he had his own 'big three' to do battle with - Connors, Borg & McEnroe. Difference is that Murray has turned the big three of his day into the big four. Gerulaitis has never quite made it to becoming an equal with the holy trinity of his day, but he was nevertheless a great player. Colourful character and likable guy as well.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nice of folks to remember Geruliatis. He had a competent game, but, between the competition of the era, and the distractions of the 80s, I don't think he would otherwise have won another one.

I think Ivanisovich is one for the argument. I'm not convinced that Roddick is. He had some near-second wins, but his game is not multi-dimentional enough to say that he "should" have won another. And I can't speak to Muster, though I know there are still a lot of fans.

Of the two still active, I would say that Murray will surely get over having only one, and Del Potro seems likely.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Herbert Lawford is the greatest tennis player I've ever seen. His serve, play from the baseline, serve and volley - a vicious mix reminiscent of a hybrid of Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic. Nice guy, too - signed a ball for me.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Michael Stich. So much game for just winning one slam. Just ask Pete...
Muster is also one of my all time favorites. He was tough.

I'd take Stich too - I really expected him to win more majors.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Since this is the era of two of the all-time greats with Roger and Rafa, and a surging Djokovic rising up the ranks, it's hard to argue against Andy Murray.

- 6 GS finals
- Appeared in 3 out of the 4 GS finals
- Olympic Gold
- Reached No. 2 a couple of times (yes, briefly)
- 12 Masters, with a 9-3 record in finals
- Winning record over Federer (11-9), whom many consider to be the GOAT

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Since this is the era of two of the all-time greats with Roger and Rafa, and a surging Djokovic rising up the ranks, it's hard to argue against Andy Murray.

- 6 GS finals
- Appeared in 3 out of the 4 GS finals
- Olympic Gold
- Reached No. 2 a couple of times (yes, briefly)
- 12 Masters, with a 9-3 record in finals
- Winning record over Federer (11-9), whom many consider to be the GOAT

Murray didn't occur to me when I was first thinking about it. Good call. I'd put him as #1 also.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Nice of folks to remember Geruliatis. He had a competent game, but, between the competition of the era, and the distractions of the 80s, I don't think he would otherwise have won another one.

I think Ivanisovich is one for the argument. I'm not convinced that Roddick is. He had some near-second wins, but his game is not multi-dimentional enough to say that he "should" have won another. And I can't speak to Muster, though I know there are still a lot of fans.

Of the two still active, I would say that Murray will surely get over having only one, and Del Potro seems likely.
Goran wasn't exactly the prototype of a multi-dimentional player either. I think that Roddick 'deserved' a Wimbledon title myself, but mr Federer had other ideas. But I think that Roddick should be appreciated mostly for his longevity. His 'peak' wasn't as high as that of some of his contemporaries, or even as that of some other one slam winners, but he was a presence at or near the top for a pretty long time. He got out of his career what he could considering the skills that he had, although his career would have looked more complete if he had won that Wimbledon title.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, Stich is a good call, made the final in Paris too.

Or Murray...

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To his credit, Roddick retired with a winning head to head against djokovic, which is something in addition to his obvious achievements. 2009 Wimbledon Final also is a bigger achievement IMO than just another gs finalist notch. I would put Murray at the top if I believed he was going to only get 1 grand slam.

Roddick's backhand was a significant weapon in 2009 wimbledon. He also was a very hard worker and constantly tried to make his game evolve (in order to beat federer), even though this evolution was largely failed excluding improved back hand in 09, although that improvement ended up being short lived. Roddick also led the U.S. to at least 1 (not feeling like doing the research) davis cup title. He was also a significant media figure for the game.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:

I agree Moxie.

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if Andy doesn't win at least a few more. If Del Potro can stay injury free I would expect him to win at least another one.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Iona16 said:
Moxie629 said:

I agree Moxie.

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if Andy doesn't win at least a few more. If Del Potro can stay injury free I would expect him to win at least another one.

More injury issues for Del Po. Murray continues to feature in the top 2-3, and I think it bodes well for him closing another couple of Slam titles. I become less convinced about the possibilities for Del Po, as he continues to have injury problems.

I'm worried that Juan Martin is about to end up like Safin. Great potential, some injury issues, some head issues, and eventually, fewer results than were expected.

Clearly, of the 2, Murray is head-and-shoulders above JMDP with a chance for winning the 2nd, and more. I think he's unlikely to be a one-hit wonder. As for Juan Martin, I'm not sure, at this point.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Murray
Roddick
Stich
Ivanisevic
Gerulitis
Orantes
Tanner