27. Katerina Siniakova
28. Dayana Yastremska
29. Sorana Cirstea
30. Leylah Fernandez
31. Barbora Krejcikova
32. Katie Boulter

1719548407190.png

The Tournament:

The Wimbledon Championships, commonly known simply as Wimbledon, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and is widely regarded as the most prestigious. It has been held at the All England Club in Wimbledon, London, since 1877 and is played on outdoor grass courts, with retractable roofs over the two main courts since 2019.

Wimbledon is one of the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments, the others being the Australian Open, the French Open, and the US Open. Wimbledon is the only major still played on grass, the traditional tennis playing surface. Also, it is the only Grand Slam that retains a night-time curfew, though matches can now continue until 11.00 pm under the lights.

The tournament traditionally takes place over two weeks in late June and early July, starting on the last Monday in June and culminating with the Ladies' and Gentlemen's Singles Finals, scheduled for the Saturday and Sunday at the end of the second week. Five major events are held each year, with additional junior and invitational competitions also taking place. In 2009, Wimbledon's Centre Court was fitted with a retractable roof to lessen the loss of playing time due to rain. A roof was operational over No. 1 Court from 2019, when a number of other improvements were made, including adding cushioned seating, a table and 10 independently operable cameras per court to capture the games.

About London:

London is the capital and largest city of England and the United Kingdom, with a population of just under 9 million. It stands on the River Thames in south-east England at the head of a 50-mile (80 km) estuary down to the North Sea, and has been a major settlement for two millennia. The City of London, its ancient core and financial centre, was founded by the Romans as Londinium and retains its medieval boundaries. The City of Westminster, to the west of the City of London, has for centuries hosted the national government and parliament. Since the 19th century, the name "London" has also referred to the metropolis around this core, historically split between the counties of Middlesex, Essex, Surrey, Kent, and Hertfordshire, which since 1965 has largely comprised Greater London, which is governed by 33 local authorities and the Greater London Authority.

London_Skyline_(125508655).jpeg

Buckingham_Palace,_London_-_April_2009.jpg

Tourism Guide:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Projected QFs by seedings
Swiatek (1) vs Vondrousova (6)
Gauff (2) vs Paolini (7)
Sabalenka (3) vs Zheng (8)
Rybakina (4) vs Pegula (5)

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some interesting first round matches,
Badosa v Muchova
Azarenka v Stephens
Raducanu v Alexandrova
Swaitek v Kenin
Tomljanovic v Ostapenko

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Favorable draws for both Sabalenka and Rybakina
Watched Saba in practice her shoulder problem looks behind her, to me she will be hard to beat, not forgetting Rybakina as long as she is healthy
Iga has a draw from hell, with Ostapenko in her draw and also defending champion Vondrousova as well,
Vondrousova has one practice session at Wimbledon yesterday, after she had to withdraw after her bad fall on the grass, interesting to see if she can defend her title this year

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watching a video of Azarenka in practice I didnt know she has hooked up with Rusedski as a coach, maybe it is just for Wimbledon or they are having a trial partnership to see if it works out between them.

BTW Maria Sakkari's hitting partner Julien Cagnina will take over as temporary coach, until Maria finds a new coach

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think just like last year there's gonna be a surprise winner.The women's draw is wide open and anyone can walk through that door.I just don't want to see crybaby Ons in the final..woe me I deserve a slam.. fu Ons.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Favorable draws for both Sabalenka and Rybakina
Watched Saba in practice her shoulder problem looks behind her, to me she will be hard to beat, not forgetting Rybakina as long as she is healthy
Iga has a draw from hell, with Ostapenko in her draw and also defending champion Vondrousova as well,
Vondrousova has one practice session at Wimbledon yesterday, after she had to withdraw after her bad fall on the grass, interesting to see if she can defend her title this year
And no matches on the lawn. She really is gambling on what is not her most successful surface w/ a bounty of points to defend.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
And no matches on the lawn. She really is gambling on what is not her most successful surface w/ a bounty of points to defend.
To me she should have played at least one tournament on grass, probably either Eastbourne or Bad Homburg, to be fair she had a pretty successful clay season, winning the big 3 tournaments, probably needed time out for some rest. Having won the Wimbledon Junior singles title in 2018, Iga should be more adapt on the grass, though in saying that winning a junior title isnt always a good indicator when you turn pro that you will be good on that surface, to me her game is made for the clay, I feel when she goes on a faster surface eg, grass, she tends to think she has to blast back the ball, and to me over hits, she is one of the best returners in the game, she can play offensive when needed, footwork is great, her serve at time doesnt give her free points, though I must say it has improved. Lets see how she handles Wimbledon without having played a lead up tournament, she has been given a tough draw., compared to say Sabalenka or Rybakina.

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This dosent sound good, ( source The Tennis Podcast)

First press conference of the day, Aryna Sabalenka said she is not `100%, said cant serve without pain because of her shoulder injury.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think just like last year there's gonna be a surprise winner.The women's draw is wide open and anyone can walk through that door.I just don't want to see crybaby Ons in the final..woe me I deserve a slam.. fu Ons.
I disagree. The draw is much more balanced than last year. The reason why we got a surprise winner is because Ons, Rybakina, and Sabalenka were all in the same half of the draw, and they wore each other out. It wasn't fair to any of them, especially Ons and Rybakina, who played in the Championship the previous year and had to play in the quarterfinal. That should have been, at the earliest, a semifinal match.

No one is going to slip through the cracks this year.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I disagree. The draw is much more balanced than last year. The reason why we got a surprise winner is because Ons, Rybakina, and Sabalenka were all in the same half of the draw, and they wore each other out. It wasn't fair to any of them, especially Ons and Rybakina, who played in the Championship the previous year and had to play in the quarterfinal. That should have been, at the earliest, a semifinal match.

No one is going to slip through the cracks this year.
Saba seems injured,Rybakina is too hot and cold,Swiatek can power through her draw,Coco is an unknown quantity on grass,Ons is not winning this year....maybe Collins.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
2004 Wimbledon champion at Wimbledon Sharapova showing her young son the courts
How time flies, still prefer her was a blonde, just saying :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco Gauff being the 2nd seed at Wimbledon is a blessing in disguise as she dosent end up in Swiatek's half, even though I feel Coco in ways is better prepared on grass, lets see if Coco can finally show her worth on grass.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Note:
I have a stretcher ready for Tossip at TF if Ons wins Wimbledon in 2024 :)
I don't really care it's just that she starts crying expecting everyone to feel sorry for her.
I used to care when Venus used to play players like Pironkova or Kerber.
I will cautiously put my money on Coco..

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't really care it's just that she starts crying expecting everyone to feel sorry for her.
I used to care when Venus used to play players like Pironkova or Kerber.
I will cautiously put my money on Coco..
Good you are being cautious about betting on Coco especially with the servicing demons inside her head.. She does have a favorable draw. I see Miss Baby Face is in the middle of her half and probably will get thru a few rounds to face Keys again. Keys has to say this is her best chance to get to the final. Only Coco and Saba are all around BETTER tennis players than her.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tossip