2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Drop in level from Novak, but he was able to get the break back and finished the tiebreaker and second set in good form. He may get it done in three today.
I would be surprised if Musetti wins more than 2 games in the 3rd set. It could easily be 6-0, 6-1, but Novak will probably take the peddle off a bit and will end 6-2, maybe 6-3.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I mean, what is worse in the history of tennis than being down 2 sets to zero against one of the Big Three in a Slam SF or F? I suppose if you are able to completely let go and say "fuck it," you might just have fun playing your heart out, but it is probably hard to get past the crushing feeling of inevitability.

8wqy41.jpg

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I mean, what is worse in the history of tennis than being down 2 sets to zero against one of the Big Three in a Slam SF or F? I suppose if you are able to completely let go and say "fuck it," you might just have fun playing your heart out, but it is probably hard to get past the crushing feeling of inevitability.

8wqy41.jpg

What/Who are you; Smith or Thanos? :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The final against Alcaraz will be Djokovic's first match against a Top 5 player since the AO SF in January.
Last Top Ten win was the ATP Finals championship vs Sinner
Novak hasnt had a measuring stick match against an elite opponent in a while.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In regards to Musetti he played 2 good sets of tennis and made just 14 UFE, but found himself 2 sets down, relentless pressure from Novak
Musetti in his 1st SF at Wimbledon, will learn, and take positives from this match.I didnt expect him to win, proud of his results at Wimbledon
Ben Fatto Lorenzo!

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The final against Alcaraz will be Djokovic's first match against a Top 5 player since the AO SF in January.
Last Top Ten win was the ATP Finals championship vs Sinner
Novak hasnt had a measuring stick match against an elite opponent in a while.
Novak parted ways with the coach with whom he had the most career success and until now really hasn’t found his footing. Literally so in Paris where he was injured and needed surgery. His last two matches here at SW19 have shown a glimmer of his old form. Granted they weren’t elite players, but considering he had a dip in his level in the 2nd set today and considering that his opponent only had 14 errors in the first two sets and still lost in three, it seems that he’s on the mend.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak parted ways with the coach with whom he had the most career success and until now really hasn’t found his footing. Literally so in Paris where he was injured and needed surgery. His last two matches here at SW19 have shown a glimmer of his old form. Granted they weren’t elite players, but considering he had a dip in his level in the 2nd set today and considering that his opponent only had 14 errors in the first two sets and still lost in three, it seems that he’s on the mend.
I have always felt in any GS, sometimes not being 'tested' before the 2nd week, and if you make the final, can/or will go against you, Novak has had a favorable draw and so has Alcaraz, I feel at this point in time Alcaraz probably has been tested a tad more, to me he has a 'higher ceiling than Novak, when down he knows he can get himself out of trouble, though in saying that, he cant afford to play some of those loose shots he did against Meddy,
When Alcaraz stops trying to go for unnecessary high light reel shots in the middle of massive matches eg, GS, it is over for mostly everyone.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I have always felt in any GS, sometimes not being 'tested' before the 2nd week, and if you make the final, can/or will go against you, Novak has had a favorable draw and so has Alcaraz, I feel at this point in time Alcaraz probably has been tested a tad more, to me he has a 'higher ceiling than Novak, when down he knows he can get himself out of trouble, though in saying that, he cant afford to play some of those loose shots he did against Meddy,
When Alcaraz stops trying to go for unnecessary high light reel shots in the middle of massive matches eg, GS, it is over for mostly everyone.
I wasn’t talking about the final. You had mentioned Novak hadn’t played an elite player since January. I gave a little background as to why, and that he seemed to be improving. Carlos is a tough ask for anyone past or present. He will be the favorite going into this final, no doubt.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I wasn’t talking about the final. You had mentioned Novak hadn’t played an elite player since January. I gave a little background as to why, and that he seemed to be improving. Carlos is a tough ask for anyone past or present. He will be the favorite going into this final, no doubt.
Sorry I should have put my glasses on when I read your post :)
Agree Novak is improving
Is there any news on a permanent coach for Novak?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie look away, you were complaining of the cost of a umbrella at the Championships this year,

Djokovic - Alcaraz Wimbledon final will be the most expensive get in final tickets
Right now the "Worst Seat' for Sunday's final is more than $10,000
( source Gill Gross at Wimbledon)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Does he truly needs one.. a coach?
I prefer to have one coach, if you have 2 coaches they have to be in sync with their coaching methods and instructions or else it gets too confusing for a player, just my thoughts.
Rafa has 3 coaches go figure lol!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz is 5-0 vs Top 5 players in 2024
Today was his 17th career Top 5 win
Only 9 losses.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just a reminder Alcaraz is vying to win a Channel Slam on Sunday, the toughest, greatest accomplishment in our sport of tennis

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sorry I should have put my glasses on when I read your post :)
Agree Novak is improving
Is there any news on a permanent coach for Novak?
I don't see why you should apologize for following up that comment with discussion of the final. Novak IS actually in the final. Both of their paths to the final is worth discussing. Last year, Novak seemed to have a cruise to the final, and counter-intuitively, it didn't seem to work in his favor. This year, it has to have helped, given the knee, but he's only just finding form in the past 2 matches, as nehmeth said. And still, it goes in and out. Alcaraz has had his walkabouts, mentally. I would say beating Medvedev in the semi is better for the confidence than beating Musetti. Djokovic is going to have to find another gear, but he has before. And as I said yesterday, he certainly won't underestimate Carlitos.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
All credits to Musetti, but most people want to see another Alcaraz Novak match, so hoping for the good final match here, not a beatdown.

Alcaraz is the man to beat in the final and maybe Djokovic will like that, having a little bit of the pressure off him for a change.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
All credits to Musetti, but most people want to see another Alcaraz Novak match, so hoping for the good final match here, not a beatdown.

Alcaraz is the man to beat in the final and maybe Djokovic will like that, having a little bit of the pressure off him for a change.
Last year was a barn-burner, and I have a hard time thinking this one will be vastly different, at least in terms of intensity. Djokovic finding his groove, Alcaraz dealing with the nerves of defending. What a different vibe from last year though, right? But speaking of matches that people wanted, I feel like today that Medvedev sort of proved that he wouldn't have beaten a heathy Sinner. I don't like to trade in "what if's," but I would have liked to have seen that Sinner v. Alcaraz semi-final. Oh, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.