2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Indeed, he was just coming back from that AB injury, and now has picked up a leg injury during practice, hopefully he can stay healthy for the rest of the season, he is such a 'special player'
Hopefully this does not portend a career plagued by chronic injury. He’s an excellent athlete, disciplined, and a happy warrior. Looking forward to seeing him play in Miami.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hopefully this does not portend a career plagued by chronic injury. He’s an excellent athlete, disciplined, and a happy warrior. Looking forward to seeing him play in Miami.
Agree, I had similar thoughts regarding his 2 injuries, he is such a 'special player' hopefully he will return strong and fit to the tour.

Reactions: nehmeth

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
There are only 2 players I'm concerned w/ when it comes to Novak winning his 10th AO & reacquiring the #1 ranking! Alcaraz's out anyway! Medvedev on tap in the SF of Adelaide tomorrow! That should be the final!
Other than the hamstring scare, Djoker pretty much controlled the match. There were moments when it seemed he was toying with Medvedev. His choice to battle Danil in a throwaway game in Turin made a statement. The Russian seems to have lost belief in his ability to win against him.. Side note: Novak looks as though he’s added between 5-10 pounds.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Korda was close to make an upset today, but Novak just not willing to surrender and ground out a win. Celebrated it with a finger pointed to his head. Yes it was a mental battle today. Korda was playing really well, he has a lot to be happy about even though he lost a match.

Reactions: Fiero425

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Korda was close to make an upset today, but Novak just not willing to surrender and ground out a win. Celebrated it with a finger pointed to his head. Yes it was a mental battle today. Korda was playing really well, he has a lot to be happy about even though he lost a match.
But that's his m.o. and everyone on tour knows this. It's more of the same, the Next Gen not ready to step up and take advantage when an opportunity is presented. How many times in the last 12 months have the Big 2 been let off the hook? Alot. I won't go back and rehash it all.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Other than the hamstring scare, Djoker pretty much controlled the match. There were moments when it seemed he was toying with Medvedev. His choice to battle Danil in a throwaway game in Turin made a statement. The Russian seems to have lost belief in his ability to win against him.. Side note: Novak looks as though he’s added between 5-10 pounds.
He lost this in Paris 2021. After winning that USO, he has reverted back to a whiny, insecure U.E. machine when the match gets close.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But that's his m.o. and everyone on tour knows this. It's more of the same, the Next Gen not ready to step up and take advantage when an opportunity is presented. How many times in the last 12 months have the Big 2 been let off the hook? Alot. I won't go back and rehash it all.
Yap, it's happening all the time. Very predictable outcomes. I felt like today could have been an upset, but Korda fell short.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Years ago, Roger and Rafa were winning everything and Novak was coming up short. Then one day, he began to put it together. It take’s some maturing and fortitude to punch through the nerves. Bashing Medvedev or Korda or Tsitsipas or another player over and over for not stepping up or coming up short…. with each new cycle of ”NextGens”, it gets rather redundant.. Congratulations to Djokovic.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Years ago, Roger and Rafa were winning everything and Novak was coming up short. Then one day, he began to put it together. It take’s some maturing and fortitude to punch through the nerves. Bashing Medvedev or Korda or Tsitsipas or another player over and over for not stepping up or coming up short…. with each new cycle of ”NextGens”, it gets rather redundant.. Congratulations to Djokovic.
You are so right Rob, what was I thinking? I am extremely sorry for not being more understanding of Novak's plight... ;) :D
1. Fedal wasn't ancient when Djoke broke through.
2. I never mentioned the Greek
3. It's not bashing when it's the truth
4. What's redundant is watching this same movie weekly
5. This isn't just about Novak, I did say the Big 2

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You are so right Rob, what was I thinking? I am extremely sorry for not being more understanding of Novak's plight... ;) :D
1. Fedal wasn't ancient when Djoke broke through.
2. I never mentioned the Greek
3. It's not bashing when it's the truth
4. What's redundant is watching this same movie weekly
5. This isn't just about Novak, I did say the Big 2
Lol. I mentione the Greek because people bitch about him too. Feel free to keep complaining. That’s your choice. You can turn off the TV and stop watching the same movie.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Most Danerous Non-Seeds for AO ( no order)
Paul
Draper
Nakashima
Isner
Goffin
Thiem
Wawrinka ( specifically in an early round to upset a seed)

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Even though I love Seb's game, he's the one who had 2 breaks up in the 3rd set against Nadal at Indian Wells, then systematically gave it away! :astonished-face:
This becomes a catch 22, did Sebatian K blow this match where he had a MP versus Novak or the IW where he was up 2 breaks to Rafa? at what point do we credit the champs' never say never attitude as opposed to just saying the contender folded?

Let's be honest, if we like a player who comebacks it's because he has the heart of a lion, if we dislike the player who comebacks it's because his opponent has the heart of a tree trunk.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
This becomes a catch 22, did Sebatian K blow this match where he had a MP versus Novak or the IW where he was up 2 breaks to Rafa? at what point do we credit the champs' never say never attitude as opposed to just saying the contender folded?

Let's be honest, if we like a player who comebacks it's because he has the heart of a lion, if we dislike the player who comebacks it's because his opponent has the heart of a tree trunk.

IMO, Rafa was ready to depart the city, totally down and out, but Korda really did "choke" like a dog! :fearful-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
AO boss Craig Tiley confirmed today that for the first time since 2020 players would no longer be required to report positive COVID-19 tests, at the AO, but would be encouraged to stay away if ill

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nick Kyrgios and Novak Djokovic to play an exhibition match at RLA in Melbourne, Friday 13th January, 6.30pm AEDT. All tickets $20.00 AUD will go on sale Tuesday 10th, January, all proceeds going to charity.

Reactions: kskate2

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
AO boss Craig Tiley confirmed today that for the first time since 2020 players would no longer be required to report positive COVID-19 tests, at the AO, but would be encouraged to stay away if ill
Well that’s not going to apply to Novak, is it? He could test positive on the Monday and march through the grounds at Flinders Park for the rest of the day, hugging fans and kissing grannies before going out to play in the evening…
:thinking-face:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well that’s not going to apply to Novak, is it? He could test positive on the Monday and march through the grounds at Flinders Park for the rest of the day, hugging fans and kissing grannies before going out to play in the evening…
:thinking-face:
Last year either he didn't care if he infected others when he had COVID or he LIED and had never had it to begin with.

So he's a piece of crap in either scenario.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Due to the onset of Cyclone Hale, the entire day of tennis, both day and night sessions will be played indoors with no crowds.
However all matches on Court No 1 will be broadcast live on Sky Sport 3. ASB Classic Auckland.

• Sad
Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.