2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I remember Bellucci being a journeyman guy who seemed to be on the cusp of being a top 10-20 guy back in 2010ish (he peaked at #21). But he was a solid player, with a peak Elo of a hair's width from 2000 (1996). That's about where Roberto Bautista Agut is right now (1998).

I thought Thiago Monteiro could be decent, but he never even reached the top 50.

Another Brazilian who showed some promise was (is) Thiago Seyboth Wild, who won Santiago (250) at 19 years old in 2020, but has mostly disappeared since, barely playing in 2022 and not at all this year so far. He's still just 22, so has plenty of time, but perhaps @mrzz can report from the streets of Sao Paolo or Rio De Janeiro (or wherever you live, mrzz). Did he call it quits? I did see that in Sept of 2021 there were allegations of domestic violence.
Context, my friend.

Apart from Guga, Bellucci is the second best brazilian player in history. For Brazilian standards, getting close to top 20 is a lot.@margarethMacleer short resume above is pretty telling, actually. I saw the mentioned Djokovic bagel. It was mostly to his merit, as acknowledged by Djokovic himself at the time.

Socio-economic factors and lack of popularity roughly explain why it is hard for Brazil to produce top players (a few other aspects as well).

Bellucci had a lingering physical condition that prevented him to go even further. Forgot the name of it, it messes up with his blood oxygen levels and makes everything tougher for him. One of the reasons he would often jump ahead and eventually fade in a tough match (he lost the second set of the Djokovic match in the tie-break and the third 6x1 or 6x2, for example, but there are countless others. Obviously a mental aspect there as well).

Thiago Monteiro is our current #1 racquet. What he achieved already is no mean feat in our context. I expect him to eventually break into the top 50, I don´t think there are more than 10 braz players who ever did that.

Anyway, apart from Braz context, all this is subjective but for me "decent" is any one inside top 250 (the cut for making GS qualies). Anyone with long spells inside top 50 (as Bellucci) I would no way in hell describe as journeyman (but, again, this is all in my book).

Thiago Wild is definitely a talent, but verging on psychological problems. No official outcome on the domestic abuse accusations, which could well be true (he fits the profile), but also have a strong scent of opportunism -- to my knowledge, no physical evidence provided. After getting close to top 100, he fell to around #500. Played qualies for small challengers, right now he is playing quali for the Santiago ATP 250.

I used to live in São Paulo, left that hellish cement Babylon 2 years ago. Now I live a 400 KM more to the south.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Context, my friend.

Apart from Guga, Bellucci is the second best brazilian player in history. For Brazilian standards, getting close to top 20 is a lot.@margarethMacleer short resume above is pretty telling, actually. I saw the mentioned Djokovic bagel. It was mostly to his merit, as acknowledged by Djokovic himself at the time.

Socio-economic factors and lack of popularity roughly explain why it is hard for Brazil to produce top players (a few other aspects as well).

Bellucci had a lingering physical condition that prevented him to go even further. Forgot the name of it, it messes up with his blood oxygen levels and makes everything tougher for him. One of the reasons he would often jump ahead and eventually fade in a tough match (he lost the second set of the Djokovic match in the tie-break and the third 6x1 or 6x2, for example, but there are countless others. Obviously a mental aspect there as well).

Thiago Monteiro is our current #1 racquet. What he achieved already is no mean feat in our context. I expect him to eventually break into the top 50, I don´t think there are more than 10 braz players who ever did that.

Anyway, apart from Braz context, all this is subjective but for me "decent" is any one inside top 250 (the cut for making GS qualies). Anyone with long spells inside top 50 (as Bellucci) I would no way in hell describe as journeyman (but, again, this is all in my book).

Thiago Wild is definitely a talent, but verging on psychological problems. No official outcome on the domestic abuse accusations, which could well be true (he fits the profile), but also have a strong scent of opportunism -- to my knowledge, no physical evidence provided. After getting close to top 100, he fell to around #500. Played qualies for small challengers, right now he is playing quali for the Santiago ATP 250.

I used to live in São Paulo, left that hellish cement Babylon 2 years ago. Now I live a 400 KM more to the south.
Thanks, @mrzz - always nice to hear from you.

Only comment: I like how you re-frame words like decent, journeyman, etc...it is sort of the opposite of dear @Fiero425 , to whom everyone other than Borg and prime Roger and Novak "sucks." ;-)

I don't see the term "journeyman" as an insult, it just implies a guy that doesn't win big titles but it is recognizable - someone who mostly floats in the #30-100ish range. Meaning, regulars in the top 100, but not regularly seeded at Slams. But it is mostly a matter of semantics.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Sir Andy Murray is the greatest player ever with the surname Andrew to save 8 mps enroute to a final in Doha

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Murray is moving very good today..what a stud receiver of the ball he is ..I can't imagine what type of efforts it takes to get him on the court

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Medvedev d Murray 64 64, to win the title in Doha, back to back titles after Rotterdam last week
Up to No 7 in the ATP rankings on Monday, Nadal will slip to No 8
Murray had a good week getting to the final, he will rise to around No 52 when the rankings come out on Monday
Interesting comment from Medvedev,
" I can say this now the tournament is over.I don't think these balls are not good for hard courts.They changed something this year.I hears players are struggling with shoulders,elbows and wrists.I had wrist problems in Australia".

Last edited:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy's really reminding me of latter-day Hewitt: scrappy, fighting hard, but just not quite good enough (anymore).

Reactions: nehmeth

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Benjamin Bonzi will play Hurkacz in the Marseille final tomorrow
Bonzi defeated Fils 64 64, Hurkacz defeated Bublik 64 76(4).

Reactions: AnonymousFan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Medvedev d Murray 64 64, to win the title in Doha, back to back titles after Rotterdam last week
Up to No 7 in the ATP rankings on Monday, Nadal will slip to No 8
Murray had a good week getting to the final, he will rise to around No 52 when the rankings come out on Monday
Interesting comment from Medvedev,
" I can say this now the tournament is over.I don't think these balls are not good for hard courts.They changed something this year.I hears players are struggling with shoulders,elbows and wrists.I had wrist problems in Australia".
Is he nuts ..the condition of the balls aided to his level of play this week..he was a pure benefactor

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Alcaraz getting pushed around by Jarry (tall guy, big serve.) Got the break back, but lost in the TB first set. I still think he can pull out the win...expecting Jarry's level to drop. Also thinking Charlie is feeling the pressure to win this title.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Is he nuts ..the condition of the balls aided to his level of play this week..he was a pure benefactor

You can still feel uncomfortable w/ how the balls play even if you win! What game do you play where all conditions are perfect? Charlie down a set in Rio SF to Jarry! I want t/b a fan, but like Sinner, every point is a "pump my fist" moment that's so overdone; even w/ double faults! :yawningface: :astonished-face::sneezing-face:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Alcaraz just fought his way back from a 0-40 deficit in his first service game with some very brave play, then Jarry just hanging in there for 1-1. Should be a very entertaining set.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz just fought his way back from a 0-40 deficit in his first service game with some very brave play, then Jarry just hanging in there for 1-1. Should be a very entertaining set.
Tight match 2 all now in the 2nd set
BTW Jarry was suspended for 11 months for taking a banned substance by mistake, it was careless, his entire family are athletes

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tight match 2 all now in the 2nd set
BTW Jarry was suspended for 11 months for taking a banned substance by mistake, it was careless, his entire family are athletes
Has some soft hands does Jarry, for a big guy, especially.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer
Status
Not open for further replies.