Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thiem in three sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
The reason why I think Thiem is the slight favorite is simple: even his rally shots now are extremely heavy and deep. Unless the opponent is serving lights out, every point is a struggle. And the guys is keeping the level up. Even considering that Djokovic belongs to that very restricted club of players who can raise his level almost at will, I think the difference to what he experience so far might hurt him. Actually, in the patches were Zverev played well today (from the little I saw, from what I read here and from highlights), Djokovic struggled. Thiem most likely will bring at least that level to the whole match. If the Austrian can keep, or translate, that level to other surfaces, he will be a constant fixture at the business end of majors. That, of course, remains to be seen.

Of course, if we were talking about 2016 Djokovic, it would be another story, but at least to my eyes he is clearly bellow that level, even if the results, major wise, are similar. 2018/2019 Djokovic is solid and knows how to win matches. 2016 Djokovic was all that with a healthy dose of brilliance on top of it.
Very good summary , I agree with you about that.
These constantly brilliance of 2016 and before, he is not showing anymore. Maybe he can come closer to that than in the QF.
The Deutschman has to keep his very high level, think he will. I’m not hoping he will play worse, I hope Novak raises his game.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What else is he, Austrian - German, no difference when looking at ethnicity.
The bastard one is only my expression for not liking him, sorry for that.
Thiem is born in Austria and plays for Austria. He also resides there, unlike some tennis players who chose to tax shelter in, say, Monaco. Obviously, you don't like him. That doesn't make him a "bastard," and I'm sure his mother and father would take umbrage at that. I think he's a good tennis player. If you don't like his game, it's one thing. If you're just trolling his nationality out of bile, or because he threatens your favorite, that's another.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I didn't see any play today. Why do people think Novak was not so "interested" or not so high level?
I would say that’s absolute nonsense. It’s a wrong impression that people have. I heard an interview of him a couple of days before, where he told his homeland press he is not at the level he wanted to be. Maybe these findings lead to the impression of non-interested ?
Whatever, I’m sure he is very interested and focused.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Thiem is born in Austria and plays for Austria. He also resides there, unlike some tennis players who chose to tax shelter in, say, Monaco. Obviously, you don't like him. That doesn't make him a "bastard," and I'm sure his mother and father would take umbrage at that. I think he's a good tennis player. If you don't like his game, it's one thing. If you're just trolling his nationality out of bile, or because he threatens your favorite, that's another.
I am not talking about nationality. it’s not worth to discuss that. Simply wasted time. This is a tennis forum. I don’t like him and his game, nothing else.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
And surely he is a damn good tennis player.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not talking about nationality. it’s not worth to discuss that. Simply wasted time. This is a tennis forum. I don’t like him and his game, nothing else.
So maybe I've heard the last of "fake Germans" re: Zverev, and "Spanish peasants" out of you, as well. That would be great.:yesyes:

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
So maybe I've heard the last of "fake Germans" re: Zverev, and "Spanish peasants" out of you, as well. That would be great.:yesyes:
1:0 for you. I promise improvement

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Peasant is completely acceptable, though. ;)
Amongst certain insecure and cheesy posters, but no one else. Nadal's family goes back to the 14th C. in Mallorca. His grandfather was a composer and symphony conductor. His family is upper-middle class at worst. His uncle was a world-class footballer for Barça and FC Mallorca. Not withstanding Rafa's own record in tennis. There is no version of a Rafa that is a "peasant," and I'm getting sick of hearing it. Roger comes from mid-level bureaucrats and Novak from people that ran a pizzeria. Think before you write, and give it a rest, if you're wrong. Which, in this case, you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know, wanted to hear it from Mr. Math. You will not hear the p-word from me again, i promised it, by the way it is used as an expression of disliking someone not in the truth sense.
I appreciate your integrity. I wish I could expect the same from others.

Reactions: Bonaca

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Amongst certain insecure and cheesy posters, but no one else. Nadal's family goes back to the 14th C. in Mallorca. His grandfather was a composer and symphony conductor. His family is upper-middle class at worst. His uncle was a world-class footballer for Barça and FC Mallorca. Not withstanding Rafa's own record in tennis. There is no version of a Rafa that is a "peasant," and I'm getting sick of hearing it. Roger comes from mid-level bureaucrats and Novak from people that ran a pizzeria. Think before you write, and give it a rest, if you're wrong. Which, in this case, you are.
Lol! Moxie. I like Roger's tennis. But jeepers... I don't have the energy to delve into his history. But you and Rafa? You loooooooove him... :lol6:

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I can't believe they scheduled this match after the Fedal match. They should have scheduled it on SLanglen at the same time. Weather forecast shows we will have just enough time to complete one competitive best of five match. Which means that either Thiem or Djokovic will have to play the final the day after this one against Nadal on clay. That reduces the already slim changes of them making Sunday interesting.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I can't believe they scheduled this match after the Fedal match. They should have scheduled it on SLanglen at the same time. Weather forecast shows we will have just enough time to complete one competitive best of five match. Which means that either Thiem or Djokovic will have to play the final the day after this one against Nadal on clay. That reduces the already slim changes of them making Sunday interesting.
Me too. In all fairness they should have played at the same time. But i keep on thinking that the chances are not that slim for Sunday, for Novak.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm surprised at how many of us voted for Thiem in four....I thought I was being edgy. But seriously, part of it is because I want to see Thiem win. I think someone up-thread said it well, that Thiem can't play much better than he is and at their current levels, he could really beat Novak. That said, if Novak finds his best form he'll beat Thiem...and Roger or Rafa.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm surprised at how many of us voted for Thiem in four....I thought I was being edgy. But seriously, part of it is because I want to see Thiem win. I think someone up-thread said it well, that Thiem can't play much better than he is and at their current levels, he could really beat Novak. That said, if Novak finds his best form he'll beat Thiem...and Roger or Rafa.
Coud not agree with you more.
Hope he finds his A-Game and sends Dominik home.
Sunday will be big no matter who will be on the other side of the net.
Let us enjoy this.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
If the wind stays like this, I believe Djoke will struggle mightily

Reactions: britbox