2017 Australian Open Final: FEDAL XXXV

Who will win the title?

• Total voters

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
According to Dareen Cahill both players are moving well. So, we may have a good match at least independent of whoever wins.

"Roger Federer warming up in an empty MCA prepping for tonight's final. Rafa Nadal practised on court 16 to a packed house. Both moving well".

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
El Dude said:
Carol35 said:
http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/18570743/australian-open-far-more-line-australian-open-trophy-roger-federer-rafael-nadal

I like what Mary Carillo says here:

"People conflate [Federer's] beauty with supremacy and blur the line between high art and [Nadal's] impossible-to-ignore domination," Carillo says. "I think Roger Federer is the most stylish, elegant and gifted tennis player I've ever seen. Roger is all that is right in this tennis world. Rafa Nadal is his perfect rival -- powerful, explosive, gritty and gutsy."

That quote really highlights how these two together deserved the shared GOAT title.

I do not enterly agreed with "beauty, stylish and elegant" but I do with a player who knows to read the opponent game, changing the tactics and powerful, this gives more interest and emotion besides to be a smarter player. I've always said and I will repeat for ever and ever, if Rafa should have had a VERY good serve (like Federer) I would like to know how far he would have gone and probably also avoiding some injuries

Carol, your response is telling. I offered a view--as did Carillo--that gave respect to each of the two, in different ways. Your response basically negates Roger and props Rafa up...again. For whatever reason you refuse to give appreciation to Roger. It is...weird, like he has personally offended you, or something. I can't help but wonder if you care at all about tennis outside of Rafa, if you have an appreciation for the storied history of this sport, which would inherently include a respect for all of the greats.

It is my observation that in sports there are basically two types of fans: One, those who are first and foremost fans of the game itself, secondly of individual players; two, there are folks who are first and foremost fans of a particular player (or team) and secondarily (or not really at all) fans of the game itself. It is clear that you are the latter. I am the former, which is why I hold Rafa in enormous respect. But I must say it annoys me when folks can't do the same of Roger (or any great, really), because anyone in their right mind will recognize that he is an amazing player who plays with unsurpassed beauty, style, and elegance. In the same sense that while I don't love Rafa's style, I cannot but respect him for his efficiency and amazing tenacity.

Any true fan of the sport will honor and appreciate all the greats. This is what separates folks like Kieran--who is a Rafa fan, but a fan of tennis first and foremost--from you, who seems to not really care or appreciate the sport itself, but is instead fixated on and obsessed with your precious Rafa. For whatever reason, you seem unable to realize that appreciating other players doesn't in any way negate Rafa's greatness.

Or to put it another way: Rafa can be great while not being the greatest in every way. If you don't realize or accept that, I don't know what to say.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
In the same sense that while I don't love Rafa's style, I cannot but respect him for his efficiency and amazing tenacity.

What efficiency? Rafa plays long matches and long points. Whatevery Rafa may be, efficient is not he. :puzzled

Tenacity, I agree. Grit, I agree. Fighting Spirit, I agree.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
El Dude said:
In the same sense that while I don't love Rafa's style, I cannot but respect him for his efficiency and amazing tenacity.

What efficiency? Rafa plays long matches and long points. Whatevery Rafa may be, efficient is not he. :puzzled

It's sad that these two competitiors have the utmost respect for each other but some of their fans doesn't share those beliefs..:nono

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
Hard to expect Fed will present more resistance to Rafa than Dimitrov, who played a career match on semi. Only prime Nole can go neck to neck with vintage Rafa

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
BIG3 said:
Hard to expect Fed will present more resistance to Rafa than Dimitrov, who played a career match on semi. Only prime Nole can go neck to neck with vintage Rafa

Speaking of resistance.the Roof will be OPEN :clap

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Please join us for the live chat of this match. Click the green plus sign in the bottom left hand corner of your screen

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
BIG3 said:

Speaking of resistance.the Roof will be OPEN :clap
Barely. Did you see how much of a small gap there was.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Surprising that Nadal won the toss and elected to serve. He never does that

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
El Dude said:

Effectiveness is what I meant.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Keep hitting to his BH you chump. Its better than his FH these days

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger has no answer for Rafas serve....who would have thought

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I answered your PM, Kelli - not sure how long Ill be up, but Ill watch for a bit. I dont know if I can handle it

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
haha. you cant convince me theres a twin. That might just be all you brotha

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
cant find my googe chromecast (my wife moved) everything when "tidying" :nono so stuck to the laptop