2017 Australian Open Final: FEDAL XXXV

Who will win the title?

• Total voters

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
RE: 2017 Australian Open Final: FEDAL XXV

Carol35 said:
Funny that some of Roger's fans is talking about "the fountain of the youth"......:lolz: :laydownlaughing :rolleyes:

as a fed fan idk what u talking about. ya he seems rejuvenated but now where close to his prime days def playing better than the last year or so esp his backhand side.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions

One thing leads to another. I'm trying to nip it in the bud before Front comes in and explodes the whole thing.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

delPoFearhand said:
Maybe I'm a hopeless bel18ver, but I do think Fed can pull this out. He's got better net skills and anticipation than Grigor, and I think the fortitude to apply his fast court game plan. We'll see though, I'm super excited just to watch no matter what happens.

Me too..no Djokovic and his obnoxious behavior plus his drunk ass louder 5-10 fans who at the tournament louder than the rest of the 16,000 plus in attendance..nor Andy's 3-4 hours of imploding on the court mental self destructive behavior while as Lendl overlooking like he wants to jump down from the stands and pimp slap the both of em. This will be a welcomed FEDAL..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

El Dude said:
One thing leads to another. I'm trying to nip it in the bud before Front comes in and explodes the whole thing.

If Front is the common denominator, then in the spirit of fair play he should be the one who needs to be the recipient of the soft warning instead of the rest of us who are so innocently :angel: baited by his plight of proving his theories of hypothesis of infidelities in the sports world, IMO.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions

Sigh. Except that Front is actually not in this thread talking about PEDs. This is really not worth discussing. Let's just follow the forum rules and not speculate about PEDs except for in the allotted space, OK?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

quSEsF28SiWlOXl3dC3N_C3GMzHvXcAAXOgD.jpg

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Roger had this to say about the final before he knew who his opponent would be.

"I'm going to leave it all out here and if I can't walk for the next five months, that's okay." :clap

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/759199/Roger-Federer-Australian-Open-Rafael-Nadal-rivalry-clay-court-history

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Nice article by Tignor:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/01/roger-federer-rafael-nadal-2006-rome-final-australian-open-final-atp/63765/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+concrete-elbow-tignor+%28Concrete+Elbow+by+Steve+Tignor%29

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
Sigh. Except that Front is actually not in this thread talking about PEDs. This is really not worth discussing. Let's just follow the forum rules and not speculate about PEDs except for in the allotted space, OK?
And who was talking about PEDS, ask Darth what he was talking about and then I was talking about the same :D

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
El Dude said:
Nice article by Tignor:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/01/roger-federer-rafael-nadal-2006-rome-final-australian-open-final-atp/63765/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+concrete-elbow-tignor+%28Concrete+Elbow+by+Steve+Tignor%29

That is a beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
imjimmy said:
El Dude said:
Nice article by Tignor:

That is a beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing.
Imjimmy long time no see my friend. It does not look like it will be a good weekend for most of us Fed fans. Deja vu!!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
After seeing the SF, I have no hope for Federer. To be honest, I doubt Fed will be able to give as much fight as Grigor did. I am not going to officially vote in this poll as I don't like the likely outcome.

Here is one silverlining. In the AO site, there was a preview article just before Fed-Stan match titled "Keep it small" or something close to it. According to that article going into the SF match,
Roger has won 74% of all his AO points with a maximum of two strokes on his racquet ( rally
length of 4 at most, two shots by each player, including the service). The only chance Fed has
in this match is if he can keep the same ratio for short rally points. If 0-4 shots rally points goes
anything below 50%, Fed will surely lose and miserably at that. If 0-4 shots rally points goes below 65% but above 50%, Fed will lose but not miserably. In order to even have a mild chance, 65% or above should be kept to short rally points. The good news is that he was able to keep it at 74% going into SF.

There is no way Fed can hang in with Rafa on extended baseline rallies just based on past history and the notorious FH to BH combination iteration play. On top of that if you add the stamina and fighting spirit displayed by Rafa in SF, I would say literally no chance of winning the attrition war.

Nonetheless, I will stay up and watch this match live, me being a sadist (and having secret hopes against hopes).

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Worst nightmare realized. This won't be a match, Rafa looked fresh as a daisy in the 5th today, hitting harder and moving faster than he had in the 4 sets before it (not suspicious at all...). We know this drill by now.

Darth..if I get one more person call me or text me that Darth Fed is back on the boards..good Grief what admirers he have, the majority of them are Rafa's fan..."I am like, who cares what Darth says or think..lol:snicker..this is truly a bizarro tennis world..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The Kiss of Death has now cursed Rafa..Tignor picked Nadal to win..my Lord ..can't we get Trump to deport Tignor back to Siberia :devil..

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I have a strong feeling that this match will not be an epic by any stretch of imagination (i.e., it probably won't build up to the well deserved hype). The chances that both players will be playing well simultaneously for any length of time is less. In that sense, the Rafa vs. Grigor match was amazing, both were playing well simultaneously for long stretches of time.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
The Kiss of Death has now cursed Rafa..Tignor picked Nadal to win..my Lord ..can't we get Trump to deport Tignor back to Siberia :devil..

:laydownlaughing

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I think the chances of Roger coming off a 6 month injury layoff and beating Rafa, given their H2H history and 5 year age gap, are slim. The fact that he made it this far is amazing---and impressive by Rafa as well. See what the old timers can do when Novak and Andy are on holiday lol?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think if somebody has correctly predicted all four finalists (men and women) and placed 1000 bucks, they would have become a millionaire.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is a very interesting news

http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2017/01/27/tennis-australia-teams-up-with-rafa-nadal-academy

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I think if somebody has correctly predicted all four finalists (men and women) and placed 1000 bucks, they would have become a millionaire.

Oops, The exact figure is available. The odds were 1 to 5000. So, if someone has placed such a bet, they would have won $5,000,000.