2017 Australian Open Day 10: Wednesday, Jan 25 - Order of Play

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
crystalfire said:
praying rafa loses. cant watch another beat down hes gonna give fed. had enough of those in the last decade *cries*

There won't be any beat down on this surface.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
mrzz said:
Of course that the last guy I want to see facing Federer in the final, IF he gets there, is Nadal. However, in the last, say three years, I was hoping they have played each other more, I am sure Federer would have had more wins than losses, and right now we could be perceiving things quite differently

It is definitely true that Rafa is in Roger's head (does he pay rent at least?). One or two years ago, they met in Basel when Rafa was dilapidated and waiting for Appendix Op. I was thinking Roger would beat him easily. But, it just was not the case. Roger played terribly and the match went to three sets and Roger barely managed to win. The whole match was rather ugly too.

Just as Rafa did follicle implant to his head, Rog should go through Rafa extraction from his head. :cover

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
mrzz said:
Of course that the last guy I want to see facing Federer in the final, IF he gets there, is Nadal. However, in the last, say three years, I was hoping they have played each other more, I am sure Federer would have had more wins than losses, and right now we could be perceiving things quite differently

It is definitely true that Rafa is in Roger's head (does he pay rent at least?). One or two years ago, they met in Basel when Rafa was dilapidated and waiting for Appendix Op. I was thinking Roger would beat him easily. But, it just was not the case. Roger played terribly and the match went to three sets and Roger barely managed to win. The whole match was rather ugly too.

Just as Rafa did follicle implant to his head, Rog should go through Rafa extraction from his head. :cover

D´accord... but, again, in the last three years Nadal was always dilapidated by one thing or another, as he takes his time to get going againg. So more ugly wins could have happened. And a win is win... I am pretty sure that Federer would have played better against Nadal if they had met, say, in the following Bercy tournament or in the YEC (I know Nadal was not playing due to the operation, but you got my point).

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
crystalfire said:
praying rafa loses. cant watch another beat down hes gonna give fed. had enough of those in the last decade *cries*

There won't be any beat down on this surface.

however well fed is playing heading into their match rafa has gotten the better of him. at this point im sure even with a broken arm rafa can somehow win against fed :nono

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Is there a sharper contrast of super-talented but head-casey vs. modest talent but strong minded? Grigor is so much more talented than Goffin, but Goffin just maximizes his game. He's like a baby Ferrer, in that regard.

It is really such a shame that Grigor has not found his fire - he is such a graceful, beautiful player. I'm hoping that his recent performance is a sign of what is to come.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
Is there a sharper contrast of super-talented but head-casey vs. modest talent but strong minded? Grigor is so much more talented than Goffin, but Goffin just maximizes his game. He's like a baby Ferrer, in that regard.

It is really such a shame that Grigor has not found his fire - he is such a graceful, beautiful player. I'm hoping that his recent performance is a sign of what is to come.

I don't know if Grigor is more talented whereas he is just a bigger player with more power and range than 5'10 David G. David is more consistent and purer striker of the ball.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, more powerful, but also more grace and finesse and overall talent. Goffin is a very good player, but is maxed out, whereas Dimitrov could be even better.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
Yes, more powerful, but also more grace and finesse and overall talent. Goffin is a very good player, but is maxed out, whereas Dimitrov could be even better.

This is true, however..i doubt that Grigor reaches the levels of Djokovic, Nadal, Sampras or Roger.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
IIRC, the last time Grigor reached SF, so did Milos. :plot

Tignor actually got 2 out 3 so far today.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
El Dude said:

This is true, however..i doubt that Grigor reaches the levels of Djokovic, Nadal, Sampras or Roger.

Of course not. In fact, I'm absolutely certain of it.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Only thing Dimitrov is better at is pulling women.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I find myself torn between wanting Rafa to lose to maximize Roger's chances of a title, and not wanting Raonic to win. I have nothing against Milos, but boy is he boring.

Some impressions after the first five games, with Milos up 3-2, Rafa to serve. Milos isn't getting a lot of first serves in and if he doesn't improve, Rafa will eventually get to him. While Milos has improved as a player, I don't think he has enough to beat Rafa without that first serve.

As for Rafa, I can see his age. He doesn't move like he did a few years ago. That said, he's a better player now than he's been for years. He looks steady, calm, and is playing smart. One thing I'm kind of glad to see for his sake is that he's not going for absolutely everything; he seems to be holding back more, not unlike we've seen Roger do the last few years, as if to save his body. At this level, which is probably equivalent to his B game in his prime, he can beat anyone except for a peak Novak. So I'm going to say that even if he doesn't win the AO, he's my favorite for Roland Garros.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh yeah, I'm predicting Rafa to win this. Tied 3-3 as a write this.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My observations so far: Nadal is hitting the ball cleanly. I mean he is not missing right now. In addition, his return of serve has been phenomenal!

Nadal breaks Raonic serve!

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
LOL - just after writing that, Rafa breaks Milos. In a way Milos is the perfect opponent for Rafa. Milos has to play a perfect match to beat Rafa, so all Rafa has to do is sit back and do his thing and let Milos lose.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As expected, Rafa breaks. Raonic can't buy a first serve, and without a first serve he is toast, which makes me think that this match will be over in three sets.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
LOL - just after writing that, Rafa breaks Milos. In a way Milos is the perfect opponent for Rafa. Milos has to play a perfect match to beat Rafa, so all Rafa has to do is sit back and do his thing and let Milos lose.

While Milos is the perfect opponent for Nadal El Dude, Rafa is hitting the ball very well. I have not seen him hit the ball this well since 2013. Hopefully, he can do this until the final

;)

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Now, let's see if Nadal gets nervous serving for the 1st set. The only good thing about this set for Milos is that it is a quick set so he could regroup very quickly.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I think this will be over in three sets. Raonic can't beat Nadal.