2014 Roland Garros Draw

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
Well in heavier conditions...to me it dosent favour Halep,Radwanska

I have diametrically the opposite view. The heavier conditions would be a boon for these
players. These two are not players who power the ball through the opponent. Both are
susceptible to power players who hit a lot of winners. Heaver conditions will neutralize the
power players.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Radwanska to me dosent move well enough on clay for starters,regardless of the conditions
I still have a question mark over Halep....with her Ab injury.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
^ Radwanska to me dosent move well enough on clay for starters,regardless of the conditions

I am not saying either of them will win or do well at RG. All I am saying is they will do
better in heavier conditions than otherwise.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:

I am not saying either of them will win or do well at RG. All I am saying is they will do
better in heavier conditions than otherwise.

Well we shall see.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually I had Halep projected to play JJ in the s/final
I am still mucking around with the draw
I was thinking Serena v Halep final...still I have this question mark over Halep
I am keeping my options open at present

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Not sure who Alize Lim is, but look for the crowd to be VERY engaged. They'll want to see a repeat of the Razzano fiasco from a couple years back.:(

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I did see it, and Serena did look nice.

Found this pic:

serena-williams-rafael-nadal-1.jpg

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
I would say the heavier conditions slow things down and even the playing field. It makes it so players might have to hit one or two extra shots to hit a winner or draw the error. Even a Serena or Maria can fall victim to it as you really have to be consistent with your play as you are going to have to hit a few more shots. I would say the natural clay courters have an edge in those conditions as they are used to all types of clay conditions.

Would you call Halep a natural clay courter....I know its her preferred surface?

I don't know I haven't seen enough of Halep's play to know. I would say those type of conditions favor say a Jankovic, Radwanska or Wozniacki. Players who are consistent and can draw the error. With clay patience is the key at times and having to hit a few extra balls that you may not if the conditions were say dry and hot works in their favor than say maybe Maria, Li, Serena or even a Kvitova who are looking for a reason to pull that trigger maybe far earlier than they should.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:

It is slowing the shots down because you have the wet clay clinging to the ball really giving a Radwanska more time. It changes the way the ball moves on and through the court. I can give you a great example of a moment that helped a player 2004 quarterfinal Serena v. Jennifer Capriati. Serena and Jennifer had one set a piece and then a rain delay came and it slowed things down allowing Jennifer more time/chances to get to Serena's shots.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
fashionista said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
I would say the heavier conditions slow things down and even the playing field. It makes it so players might have to hit one or two extra shots to hit a winner or draw the error. Even a Serena or Maria can fall victim to it as you really have to be consistent with your play as you are going to have to hit a few more shots. I would say the natural clay courters have an edge in those conditions as they are used to all types of clay conditions.

Would you call Halep a natural clay courter....I know its her preferred surface?

I don't know I haven't seen enough of Halep's play to know. I would say those type of conditions favor say a Jankovic, Radwanska or Wozniacki. Players who are consistent and can draw the error. With clay patience is the key at times and having to hit a few extra balls that you may not if the conditions were say dry and hot works in their favor than say maybe Maria, Li, Serena or even a Kvitova who are looking for a reason to pull that trigger maybe far earlier than they should.

Well out of those 3 players you picked....I still tend to go with Jankovic because she is a better clay court player for me.Though I understand your points.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
fashionista said:

It is slowing the shots down because you have the wet clay clinging to the ball really giving a Radwanska more time. It changes the way the ball moves on and through the court. I can give you a great example of a moment that helped a player 2004 quarterfinal Serena v. Jennifer Capriati. Serena and Jennifer had one set a piece and then a rain delay came and it slowed things down allowing Jennifer more time/chances to get to Serena's shots.

Yep I remember that q/final....point taken

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am still playing around with my draw and weighing up my options....including the first week appearing to be cloudy and raining.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I can tell you a player it might have an averse effect on is Li. She has been struggling with consistency.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I can tell you a player it might have an averse effect on is Li. She has been struggling with consistency.

I agree...though my cousin is at RG for the 2 weeks and saw Li practise earlier today and said to me she looked good....still she has to do that in matches dosent she?:)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am still undecided on this draw
So far I have 3 different outcomes.....still have Serena winning though....

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Is not somebody setting up a private pool of the racquet bracket contest by Tennis Channel
for our group?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:

I am picking Serena and JJ for the finals.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:

Actually in one of my draws....I have JJ playing Halep in the s/finals...Halep winning though

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:

Actually in one of my draws....I have JJ playing Halep in the s/finals...Halep winning though

In QFs, I have Serena vs. Dominatrix, CSN vs. EB, AI vs SH and JJ vs. NL
In SFs, I have Serenva vs. CSN and Serb1 vs. Serb2
I have Serena defeating JJ in the finals.

How do you like my picks?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Due to physical issues and injury problems, Halep can only go far in RG as it is very
taxing (especially given that she does not hit too much winners and more of a grinder).