(2013) Slam Challenge!

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And the exodus continues...Hope this forum lasts!

Anyhow, I thought I'd port over the Slam Challenge started at tennis.com and then moved to tennisdigital. We've still got over a month to the French Open, but here are the results so far:

RANKINGS
25 - crystalfire
25 - Fedfan
25 - secrettennisjunkie
25 - Yolita
22 - Riotbeard
21 - britbox
21 - DarthFed
20 - Broken_shoelace
20 - El Dude
20 - kskate2
20 - Moxie629
20 - Srini
19 - johnsteinbeck
18 - Denisovich
18 - Mastoor
17 - Didi
17 - Kieran
16 - Ftan
13 - homertino

If you change your log-in name here, let me know. Otherwise I'll resuscitate this thread in about a month to get everyone to make their predictions.

Oh yeah, here are the rules:

2013 SLAM PREDICTION CHALLENGE - RULES

[*]Pick a Winner, Runner-up, two Semifinalists, one Dark Horse, and one Wildcard candidate for each Slam
[*]Points will be awarded as follows: 12 Winner, 7 Runner-up, 3 Semifinalist
[*]Dark Horse gets points for whatever their final position is; they cannot be one of the Big Four (Djokovic, Federer, Murray, Nadal) - although could be ranked anywhere (e.g. if Nadal drops to #5 and Ferrer is #4, Ferrer can still be the DH although Nadal cannot)
[*]Wildcard gets points as the Dark Horse, but cannot be ranked in the top 10 at the beginning of the tournament
[*]Note that points are not cumulative, but you do get points if a player finishes lower than what you picked (e.g. If you pick Djokovic to win but he's the runner-up, you still get 7 points; if you pick Murray to be the runner-up but he wins, you get 7 points)
[*]So the maximum points per Slam is 25 - if you get all four and/or your Dark Horse or Wildcard correct
[*]Tiebreakers after the US Open will be handled by predictions for the World Tour Finals
[*]New members who want to join start off with 10 points per Slam they missed.

Examples:
Your Picks: W - Murray, RU - Djokovic, SF - Federer, Ferrer, DH - Berdych, WC - Raonic

Scenario A
Actual Results: W - Raonic, RU - Murray, SF - Djokovic, Berdych
Points: 12 for Raonic, 7 for Murray, 3 for Djokovic and 3 for Berdych for a total of 25 points

Scenario B
Actual Results: W - Federer, RU - Djokovic, SF - Murray, Raonic
Points: 7 for Djokovic, 3 for Murray, 3 for Federer, 3 for Raonic = 16 pts

In other words, there are different ways to get 25 points. Also, it should be relatively easy to get a decent number of points - strategize and pick wisely!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
And the exodus continues...Hope this forum lasts!

Anyhow, I thought I'd port over the Slam Challenge started at tennis.com and then moved to tennisdigital. We've still got over a month to the French Open, but here are the results so far:

RANKINGS
25 - crystalfire
25 - Fedfan
25 - secrettennisjunkie
25 - Yolita
22 - Riotbeard
21 - britbox
21 - DarthFed
20 - Broken_shoelace
20 - El Dude
20 - kskate2
20 - Moxie629
20 - Srini
19 - johnsteinbeck
18 - Denisovich
18 - Mastoor
17 - Didi
17 - Kieran
16 - Ftan
13 - homertino

If you change your log-in name here, let me know. Otherwise I'll resuscitate this thread in about a month to get everyone to make their predictions.

Oh yeah, here are the rules:

2013 SLAM PREDICTION CHALLENGE - RULES

[*]Pick a Winner, Runner-up, two Semifinalists, one Dark Horse, and one Wildcard candidate for each Slam
[*]Points will be awarded as follows: 12 Winner, 7 Runner-up, 3 Semifinalist
[*]Dark Horse gets points for whatever their final position is; they cannot be one of the Big Four (Djokovic, Federer, Murray, Nadal) - although could be ranked anywhere (e.g. if Nadal drops to #5 and Ferrer is #4, Ferrer can still be the DH although Nadal cannot)
[*]Wildcard gets points as the Dark Horse, but cannot be ranked in the top 10 at the beginning of the tournament
[*]Note that points are not cumulative, but you do get points if a player finishes lower than what you picked (e.g. If you pick Djokovic to win but he's the runner-up, you still get 7 points; if you pick Murray to be the runner-up but he wins, you get 7 points)
[*]So the maximum points per Slam is 25 - if you get all four and/or your Dark Horse or Wildcard correct
[*]Tiebreakers after the US Open will be handled by predictions for the World Tour Finals
[*]New members who want to join start off with 10 points per Slam they missed.

Examples:
Your Picks: W - Murray, RU - Djokovic, SF - Federer, Ferrer, DH - Berdych, WC - Raonic

Scenario A
Actual Results: W - Raonic, RU - Murray, SF - Djokovic, Berdych
Points: 12 for Raonic, 7 for Murray, 3 for Djokovic and 3 for Berdych for a total of 25 points

Scenario B
Actual Results: W - Federer, RU - Djokovic, SF - Murray, Raonic
Points: 7 for Djokovic, 3 for Murray, 3 for Federer, 3 for Raonic = 16 pts

In other words, there are different ways to get 25 points. Also, it should be relatively easy to get a decent number of points - strategize and pick wisely!

Good stuff Dude... and this forum will last!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for moving the challenge over, Dude. And, yes, it will last. Because finally the committed people are in charge.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Thanks Britbox for inviting me over to this forum.. I would have never known :eek:)
Thanks guys Moxie, nehmeth, tented and britbox for making an extra effort with the forums ..
And thanks El dude..though I sucked at predicting Australian open.. I hope I do better this time ;)