2020 Predictions and Speculations

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So the last significant tournament of the year done (and congrats to Stefanos Tsitsipas on his first big title), and while we take a breather we can start thinking about what lies ahead in 2020. I think it could be a very exciting year, mainly because the reign of the Big Three seems to be finally cracking, and I suspect we'll have at least one--if not more--Slam titles earned by new names.

So what do you look forward to? Predict? Any other speculations?

A few thoughts:

The main dynamic that interests me is the slow fall of the Big Three combined with the rise of the Next Genners. Some questions involved: Does Roger have one more Slam run in him? Are Rafa and Novak finally showing their age, or can they have one more run of dominance and win a handful more Slams? Who among the Next Genners will emerge as the cream of the crop? And so forth.

Dominic Thiem seems like a serious threat at Roland Garros at least, and maybe elsewhere; Alexander Zverev has regained his form and may be able to take that extra step forward now, and challenge for a Slam; Daniil Medvedev had the best few months of any Next Genner yet, and even though he's slacked off a bit is still a seriously threat. And of course Stefanos Tsitsipas, who I think has the most balanced game of any Next Genner, just won the ATP Finals. Matteo Berretini, Karen Khachanov, and maybe Andrey Rublev, Taylor Fritz, and others, all are Next Genners to watch.

And now we also have an even younger "post-NextGen" emerging, with three players born in 1999 or later now in the top 21. I am very interested in how the two young Canadians will do, Felix Auger-Aliassime (#21) and Denis Shapovalov (#15), as I suspect they'll both threaten the top 10 and maybe even a Masters title. I do think both are still a year or two away from a Slam, though. Alex de Minaur (#18) is also right there with them, although with perhaps less upside (David Ferrer-esque?). And the youngest player in the top 100 at age 18, Jannik Sinner, is showing a lot of potential. Miomor Kecmanovic, Alexei Popyrin, Corentin Moutet, Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, even Mikael Ymer and others are all very young guys worth keeping an eye on (and others).

Lost Gen...well, it is feeling more and more like their time is passing them by. I just had a thought that if the Big Four are the Boomers of tennis and Next Gen are Millenials, than Lost Gen is--fittingly--the slacker gen, aka Gen X (spoken as a member of Gen X), who has never really made their mark on the world. Although unlike Gen X, the clock is ticking for Lost Gen and it now seems unlikely that any--except Thiem (if he counts, born in 1993), will ever win a Slam. That said, it was good to see Grigor Dimitrov have a bit of life. He at least (and Thiem) has been able to win big titles. But will Milos Raonic or Kei Nishikori, as they turn 30 in the upcoming months?

Finally, Andy Murray. He's played better than I expected. A year ago I thought he was finished - hip injuries are really hard to recover from. I'm sad to say that I still don't think he'll ever return to his peak form, but he did win an ATP 250 so he could find a way back into the top 20, maybe top 10.

So many others to consider, but that's what came to mind.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I have to believe the "Lost Gen" will do something within the next couple years to make some kind of mark! There's that crowd with Ferrer, Berdych, Tsonga and others, but Cilic did win the USO in '14 and challenged for a couple others along with Anderson in the last year or 2! I'm very disappointed in Kei and Milos who have all kinds of game, but can't stay on the court more than a few weeks before breaking down! The thing is, will they ever be able to hold up to even win anything regardless of their talent and ability! I can't write off the "Big 3" even though I'd love to do it! The NG'rs still have a little reverence or apprehension playing them and can look like rookies at even given time when they should be in control of a match! Leads aren't safe with any of these new players even though their abilities are off the chart! The game still remains cerebral which is why Fedalovic have ruled for well over a decade! Who saw 2017-18 coming? 2019 made a little more sense! Let's see what 2020 holds for us! :whistle: :yesyes: :p :sick: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Roger has at least 2 slams in him.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fun thread, Dude, and thanks for putting it up. Time to start thinking about the next season, and the "youngsters" have given us a lot to think about. First, I rather agree that the Lost Gen is cooked. (Interesting comparison with Gen X and Millenials.) Next, to Big 3: I'm that stopped clock, but I do think that Roger is done winning Majors. I don't think Rafa and Novak are, but it looks like the real slowing is about to happen. Rafa goes into 2020 on a high. Novak inexplicably flat on Thursday, when he had every reason to be motivated, but he still can find new life and the AO is coming. Which leads us to the short term best of the up-and-comers. The Greek obviously won the year, in terms of the young-guns. But good showings from Thiem and Zverev. I think Medvedev's sink was a bit predictable, but expect him to come back strong in the new season. I think the rest loom as more spoilers than even dark horses, for the time being, but some are coming up fast. I think a special shout-out is due to Jannick Sinner, who, though the wild card, won the Next Gen, and he's barely 18.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Personally for me, my biggest curiosity of the 2020 season is how will the slam "race" will unfold between the Big Three. Nadal is only 1 behind Federer and of course Djokovic is 3 behind Nadal and 4 behind Federer. Will we see Nadal surpassing Federer next year? Can Federer win one more slam? Can Djokovic cut Nadal and Federer's lead? Three very interesting questions for the Top 3 male tennis players.

As for the youngsters (Next Gen) and Thiem, they have to show up in Slams period. When I mean show up, I mean they have to consistently reach AT LEAST the Round of 16 and better in all slams. They have shown they can play consistently well in ATP 1000s and 500s but now they have to show to the world that they can do it in all slams...no more excuses.

Finally, I am very excited for Felix Auger-Aliassime and Jannik Sinner! Two of the youngest players in the Top 100 are showing major promise and hopefully they win more important titles in 2020!

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic-nadal will win all the slams next year, next gen players are not at major winning level yet need to porve themselves before we start rating them highly.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
next gen players best chance is next years us open but with defending champion goat nadal it might be too much for them.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic-nadal will win all the slams next year, next gen players are not at major winning level yet need to porve themselves before we start rating them highly.
Hope you are right, but hard to imagine.

Reactions: Andy22

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic and Federer won’t win any more slams as they cannot easily handle the new generation of players. :( They both had their farewell moment at Wimbledon this year. B-)

On the other hand Nadal will win a few more slams and stand alone at the top of the tennis world with the all-time slam record. :good: It will be a beautiful moment. :yesyes:

Meanwhile it will be interesting to see who will be winning slams between Medvedev, Thiem, Tsitsipas, Zverev as they are all knocking on the door. :clap:

As for me I hope that Auger-Aliassime will keep climbing the rankings and get some great results. :)

I can’t wait for 2020, the year of GOATdal. :ptennis:

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy22

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also, I would like to add that 2020 is an Olympic year which means Tennis Olympics will be sandwich after Wimbledon and before the US Open. It will be interesting to see in which players will attend and forego the event. Remember, the Olympics is in Tokyo, Japan which means travel will be a lot longer and harder going into Japan and going back to the US.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic and Federer won’t win any more slams as they cannot easily handle the new generation of players. :( They both had their farewell moment at Wimbledon this year. B-)

On the other hand Nadal will win a few more slams and stand alone at the top of the tennis world with the all-time slam record. :good: It will be a beautiful moment. :yesyes:

Meanwhile it will be interesting to see who will be winning slams between Medvedev, Thiem, Tsitsipas, Zverev as they are all knocking on the door. :clap:

As for me I hope that Auger-Aliassime will keep climbing the rankings and get some great results. :)

I can’t wait for 2020, the year of GOATdal. :ptennis:
Nadal handled Daniil and Tsitsipussy easily?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fun thread, Dude, and thanks for putting it up. Time to start thinking about the next season, and the "youngsters" have given us a lot to think about. First, I rather agree that the Lost Gen is cooked. (Interesting comparison with Gen X and Millenials.) Next, to Big 3: I'm that stopped clock, but I do think that Roger is done winning Majors. I don't think Rafa and Novak are, but it looks like the real slowing is about to happen. Rafa goes into 2020 on a high. Novak inexplicably flat on Thursday, when he had every reason to be motivated, but he still can find new life and the AO is coming. Which leads us to the short term best of the up-and-comers. The Greek obviously won the year, in terms of the young-guns. But good showings from Thiem and Zverev. I think Medvedev's sink was a bit predictable, but expect him to come back strong in the new season. I think the rest loom as more spoilers than even dark horses, for the time being, but some are coming up fast. I think a special shout-out is due to Jannick Sinner, who, though the wild card, won the Next Gen, and he's barely 18.

With regards to that bolded part, I agree - and it is a good characterization of Rafa and Novak: the "real slowing." They're still able to dominate overall, but Novak just doesn't seem to be able to find that consistency of dominance anymore. I could see him finding it for a few months, but it won't last - and those periods will probably both get shorter and fewer. Rafa actually seems the most consistent of the three (as evinced by that 88% of wins), but I think we're about to see him lose more off-clay to young pups, that there will be a bunch of upsets for him this year. Maybe even on clay.

As for Roger, I agree, unfortunately, but still hold out hope for that one more. In a way I feel similarly to how I felt back in 2014-16, when he come close a few times but it became increasingly apparent that he'd never win another. But then 2017 happened, so you never know. So I wouldn't be totally surprised if he has one more surge and Slam title in him, but I'm not expecting it. It kind of feels like he missed that chance at Wimbledon this year.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Who, and which major?

LOL, yikes you want to nail me down for a specific win?

I’ll give you three possible ones:

Theim- French Open
Tsitsipas - AO
Medvedev - USO

Of the 3 , I would pick Theim at the FO. As much as I want Rafa to win another one, Theim has a lot of upside to finally breaking through there in 2020.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Theim- French Open
Tsitsipas - AO
Medvedev - USO

Of the 3 , I would pick Theim at the FO. As much as I want Rafa to win another one, Theim has a lot of upside to finally breaking through there in 2020.

Thanks for leaving Wimbledon for Federer. ;)

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Theim- French Open
Tsitsipas - AO
Medvedev - USO

I actually think that the two hardcourt majors are for up next year. The think about French Open is that Nadal is THAT good on Clay. Even if Thiem has a lot of upside, beating the King of Clay in three out of five format at RG is the toughest task in tennis.

I do agree with you about Wimbledon. I think the Next Gen and Thiem still do not have the game to play THAT well in grass.