2024 Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy - Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
We all know that he has Rafa " rent free in his head" :) quite frankly he is making himself look foolish, with such a post Moving On!
He's taking up the mantle of other posters who made it their mission to undermine Nadal's career. Too bad for all of them, being on the wrong side of tennis history.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To be honest, you should be worried. I'd probably give Rafa a 50-50 chance against Hurkacz. But it is also a good thing, in that it is Rafa's first test a bonafide top 10er with real weapons. "Demon" is a good player, but he's sort of fringe top 10 (or 10-20 guy) like Gasquet or Bautista Agut. So I suppose what I'm getting is that while Rafa losing to Hurkacz isn't "game over," it will tell us a lot more about how much he's capable of. Even if he loses, if he makes it a hard fought match, it should be viewed as a positive.
TBH, I was worried about Hurcacz before the match today, and I'm even more worried, now. Rafa's going to have to play a whole lot better to beat Hubie. Let's face it: this version of Rafa is not winning the Italian Open, much less the French Open.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
TBH, I was worried about Hurcacz before the match today, and I'm even more worried, now. Rafa's going to have to play a whole lot better to beat Hubie. Let's face it: this version of Rafa is not winning the Italian Open, much less the French Open.
Rafa will try to extend the rallies if possible..He should be better in a few days to execute his plan to make the game uncomfortable for Double H

Reactions: Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Others have given you the shit that this post deserves, so I won't reiterate all of it, but a) Rafa IS the clay GOAT; b) at 37, how do you call this a shortened career? C: If Nadal's skills on clay were about retrieving the ball, he'd have had Ferrer's career. Don't try to tell us that you're such a tennis expert if you don't understand the difference.

Oh it's ok! Tell you the truth, I feel badly enough for so many talented players who never had a chance to "get to the mount" as #1 in the World! Due to the greed of the Big 3 eating up about 90% of all Big Titles for the last 2 decades, they never had a chance since w/ 3 of them playing it made it impossible! They overlapped individual great seasons which transcend anything past Greats accomplished! Way back when, even w/ single-minded tennis on grass initially, then a combo of clay, HC, & Indoor carpet to keep revenues flowing during the long American Winters, even Borg didn't own the tour like Fedalovic! Murray was able to catch "fire in the 7th House" or something & stole a YE #1 in 2016 w/ a Wimbledon, 2 major finals, & a handful of 500's! IMO it was more a penalty of how great Novak's 2015 season! He couldn't duplicate it, even though he completed his Nole-Slam taking 2 more Majors, won 4 Masters, & final'd in the USO & YEC! No other player until Alcaraz broke thru in 2022!

Flowers s/b sent to players who couldn't get "over that hump" due to chronic injuries or performed at a level not quite as powerful enough to overcome those guys! OTTH, the list begins w/ Ferrer, Berdych, Raonic, Kei, Dimitrov, Cilic, Tsitsipas, Zverev, Thiem, Medvedev, & a few others over the years who were born at the wrong time! The Era has been so long & so big, I just can't imagine anything coming close to their records in the next 20 years unless they go to Next Gen. Scoring! Masters' Finals going to BO3 helped inflate the Big 3's #'s! That almost eliminated them needing to skip the next event due to exhaustion!

I so thought it was over for Nadal so many times! He had such a horrendous start in 2013 dropping a final in Chile to Zaballos, but went on to have one of his best seasons! I thought it was over again in 2015 w/ Novak defeating him at the FO in the QF! It was the reverse situation of 2022 as it was Nadal on a comeback hitting #1 Seed Djoker earlier than a Semi-Final or Final! He hasn't played for over a year! I can't see another resurgence in 2024! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-head-bandage:

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
..I so thought it was over for Nadal so many times! He had such a horrendous start in 2013 dropping a final in Chile to Zaballos, but went on to have one of his best seasons! I thought it was over again in 2015 w/ Novak defeating him at the FO in the QF! It was the reverse situation of 2022 as it was Nadal on a comeback hitting #1 Seed Djoker earlier than a Semi-Final or Final! He hasn't played for over a year! I can't see another resurgence in 2024! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-head-bandage:
Well *if* it's truly over by YE, preceded by the first 5 or 6 declarative predictions in the last 18 years of his imminent demise, it doesn't really matter anymore.

He outlasted all the earlier retirement pronouncements. Retiring at age 37 is not premature.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh it's ok! Tell you the truth, I feel badly enough for so many talented players who never had a chance to "get to the mount" as #1 in the World! Due to the greed of the Big 3 eating up about 90% of all Big Titles for the last 2 decades, they never had a chance since w/ 3 of them playing it made it impossible! They overlapped individual great seasons which transcend anything past Greats accomplished! Way back when, even w/ single-minded tennis on grass initially, then a combo of clay, HC, & Indoor carpet to keep revenues flowing during the long American Winters, even Borg didn't own the tour like Fedalovic! Murray was able to catch "fire in the 7th House" or something & stole a YE #1 in 2016 w/ a Wimbledon, 2 major finals, & a handful of 500's! IMO it was more a penalty of how great Novak's 2015 season! He couldn't duplicate it, even though he completed his Nole-Slam taking 2 more Majors, won 4 Masters, & final'd in the USO & YEC! No other player until Alcaraz broke thru in 2022!

Flowers s/b sent to players who couldn't get "over that hump" due to chronic injuries or performed at a level not quite as powerful enough to overcome those guys! OTTH, the list begins w/ Ferrer, Berdych, Raonic, Kei, Dimitrov, Cilic, Tsitsipas, Zverev, Thiem, Medvedev, & a few others over the years who were born at the wrong time! The Era has been so long & so big, I just can't imagine anything coming close to their records in the next 20 years unless they go to Next Gen. Scoring! Masters' Finals going to BO3 helped inflate the Big 3's #'s! That almost eliminated them needing to skip the next event due to exhaustion!

I so thought it was over for Nadal so many times! He had such a horrendous start in 2013 dropping a final in Chile to Zaballos, but went on to have one of his best seasons! I thought it was over again in 2015 w/ Novak defeating him at the FO in the QF! It was the reverse situation of 2022 as it was Nadal on a comeback hitting #1 Seed Djoker earlier than a Semi-Final or Final! He hasn't played for over a year! I can't see another resurgence in 2024! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-head-bandage:
What a lot of palaver, all to say that you've been totally wrong about Nadal. Face it, you totally ignored my post.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He's taking up the mantle of other posters who made it their mission to undermine Nadal's career. Too bad for all of them, being on the wrong side of tennis history

Rafa will try to extend the rallies if possible..He should be better in a few days to execute his plan to make the game uncomfortable for Double H
First Rafa has to be 'on' with his return game against Hubi to be able to extend the rallies, Hubi presently has one of the best serves on the tour,
I would attack his bh which is flat as a pancake, and not in the higher speed of bhands, Rafa with his lefty patterns should be able to expose it

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
First Rafa has to be 'on' with his return game against Hubi to be able to extend the rallies, Hubi presently has one of the best serves on the tour,
I would attack his bh which is flat as a pancake, and not in the higher speed of bhands, Rafa with his lefty patterns should be able to expose it
HH hasn't had a good year so far unless I am incorrect but I haven't watched enough tennis this year to form a valid observation

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
HH hasn't had a good year so far unless I am incorrect but I haven't watched enough tennis this year to form a valid observation
Well his tennis usually puts me to sleep, you will have your chance to watch him when Rafa plays him on Saturday

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well his tennis usually puts me to sleep, you will have your chance to watch him when Rafa plays him on Saturday
Same here ..I'm not a fan of HH's tennis game ..

Rafa's biggest problem with his serve is his first serve percentage is very low plus he doesn't serve really hard..if he would stick to the left body serve to the right hand opposition, he could win a lot more easy points

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Same here ..I'm not a fan of HH's tennis game ..

Rafa's biggest problem with his serve is his first serve percentage is very low plus he doesn't serve really hard..if he would stick to the left body serve to the right hand opposition, he could win a lot more easy points
If you noticed when he was under the pump in his match against Bergs on his serve, he went down the tee, his serve he goes to when he is in trouble.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Order of Play, Friday, May 10, 2024

1715313550312.png

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Brazilian Thiago Monteiro beating top 40's at will, latest victim was seeded Jordan Thompson, 6x1 6x3.

Very happy for him, fought hard his whole career and had zero recognition back home.

Reactions: Front242

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Miomir Kecmanovic upsets 2 time SF Ruud (5) 06 64 64 to reach the 3rd round in Rome
Ruud started his clay season strong, ( Estorial SF, MC F, Barcelona W) though Madrid and Rome weren't great.

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
When did Ben Shelton start that godawful male version of Errani grunting? Even when hitting drop shots. Pathetic. At least he doesn't do it all the time. But some rubbish grunting here.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

My dawg is gonna turn it up a bit..he needs to. No more three setters
Rafa's hesitancy is totally understandable, considering. I mean, he really doesn't want to hurt himself before Roland Garros. It makes sense that he would turn the "volume" up one notch at a time, rather than go hard from the get-go.
Rafa said in his presser yesterday that he's feeling better on the court, and ready to get over the hesitancy and fears. Maybe a little bit TMI, but he knows what we all see. He basically said, it's time to start going for it, or he won't be ready for RG.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak had a rusty start today, but righted the ship. I couldn't watch the end, but not especially surprised.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
  • Wow