What do we see for Serena in 2016?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think we will see her shine where she typically shines in places like Miami and the US Open. I can see her wanting to win the US Open again. As far as other slams, I see her probably taking 2 slams next year maybe 3 depending on the rest of the field. The rest of the field came on very strong near the end of the year: Muguruza and Venus especially. They will be big dark horses at the slams next year. Hopefully, whatever troubled Serena most of the year is behind her. I think more than anything her injury issues plagued her serving more than anything. I hope we see some stronger net play from Serena. She could stand to end points sooner than she has.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
I see her winning two slams. Either Australia and US Open or Wimbledon and US Open. I think she will lighten up her schedule as she usually does after a big banner year. I see either Indian Wells or Miami not both. No clay titles. Stanford and Canada. I do see her playing the YEC.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I can see her picking up a clay title. She has won at least one clay title every year since 2012. I would say clay has become a much stronger surface for her than it was in the past. I think if anything she may cut back on her summer schedule a bit especially with the Olympics happening this year. I see with the Olympics Serena will probably play that and one hard court tournament either Cincy or Canada.

I could see her doing something like this:

Hopman Cup
Australian Open
Doha or Dubai but not both
Indian Wells
Miami
Madrid
Rome
French Open
Wimbledon
Olympics
Canada or Cincy
US Open
Beijing
YEC

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'd like to see her bounce back and win Oz, but for 2016 I see her win one (and her final) slam...

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oh I think she is doing fine. 3 majors and a SF for 2015 and that was all pretty much playing mediocre tennis with flashes of brilliance here and there, so I imagine she can manage at least two. I think she will at least want to get ahead of Steffi in numbers.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
All I want is for Serena to he healthy and everything will fall into place.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
she will do well because 2016 will be Olympic year and hopefully she surpasses Steffi before she gets to New York...she is more relaxed in Australia and at Wimbledon..

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
I'd like to see her bounce back and win Oz, but for 2016 I see her win one (and her final) slam...

I think she'll win 2 more and then be done winning slams. Maybe not both next year. All depends on when she gets 22. If she gets 22 in Jan she'll relax the rest of the year and could probably pick up another one at Wimby or USO. If she's still tight and it takes her the whole year to get 22 then I reckon she picks up one more in 2017.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think more than anything from that 2012-2014 period she really didn't take too many breaks especially during the off season which I think in the long term had an effect on her despite winning big in 2015. I think extending her offseason at the end of 2015 was probably the smartest thing she has done for herself since her return to tennis in 2011. She seems to be in good spirits and happy in all the photos I have seen of her during her time off. I think we will see a big push from Serena this year trying to make a surge in all of her numbers like weeks at number 1, slam titles, number of titles, etc. and 2017 is where we might see her kind of compete but maybe show signs of hanging it up.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
She is playing Hopman Cup with Jack Sock for Aussie prep in 2016. Not sure what the rest of her schedule will look like.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
she will do well because 2016 will be Olympic year and hopefully she surpasses Steffi before she gets to New York...she is more relaxed in Australia and at Wimbledon..

If she just focus on the slams , forget about the Olympics, I think she can win at least 3 majors depending on how healthy she is. I think her knees were just too tender and I think she may reduce her schedule more. No one is even close to taking her top spot at #1.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Two slams, the Olympic gold and she'll call it a career.

MashaFan

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
Is this Calvy the tennis expert or Calvy the Serena fan speaking?

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
MashaFan said:
Calvy said:
Is this Calvy the tennis expert or Calvy the Serena fan speaking?
dont worry about Serena because pova is winning nothing at the Olympics...she will continue to be Serena s pigeon in 2016..:lolz: