Tennis History and Trivia Lounge

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought I'd start a (hopefully) ongoing thread to discuss different bits of history and trivia; I sometimes find a random bit I want to share, but don't want to either start a new thread or chuck it somewhere else. So here we go. We can call it "El Dude's Lounge" ;).

Anyhow, the specific bit that inspired this was a rather surprising fact I discovered. I'll leave it as a trivia question to see if anyone can figure it out:

Dominic Thiem has defeated three players who have ranked #1 in their careers (he didn't necessarily beat them while they were #1)--who are the three? Here's a hint: one of them is a real surprise. I'm guessing no one can answer this without looking it up.

Reactions: 10isfan

Backhand_DTL

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
El Dude said:
I thought I'd start a (hopefully) ongoing thread to discuss different bits of history and trivia; I sometimes find a random bit I want to share, but don't want to either start a new thread or chuck it somewhere else. So here we go. We can call it "El Dude's Lounge" ;).

Anyhow, the specific bit that inspired this was a rather surprising fact I discovered. I'll leave it as a trivia question to see if anyone can figure it out:

Dominic Thiem has defeated three players who have ranked #1 in their careers (he didn't necessarily beat them while they were #1)--who are the three? Here's a hint: one of them is a real surprise. I'm guessing no one can answer this without looking it up.
I didn't have to look it up because if I remember correctly Thiem played Thomas Muster at I think a challenger tournament while he tried some kind of comeback some years ago, so it's probably Muster, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
-FG- said:
El Dude said:

I didn't have to look it up because if I remember correctly Thiem played Thomas Muster at I think a challenger tournament while he tried some kind of comeback some years ago, so it's probably Muster, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

Yep, Muster is the surprise name. I don't think it was a challenger, though, as those aren't counted in the ATP World Tour record...but I'm away from my computer and it is too much of a hassle to check on my phone ;).

Aung Aung

Reactions
I just looked up for it. Thiem defeated Muster in Vienna 500 on 24.10.2011. They were both ranked very low at that time, Muster was ranked 1078 and Thiem was ranked 1890.

I guess one or both of them got wild cards for being Austrian as Muster played 7 tournaments that year and apart from Vienna all others were challenger tours.

Backhand_DTL

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Aung Aung said:
I just looked up for it. Thiem defeated Muster in Vienna 500 on 24.10.2011. They were both ranked very low at that time, Muster was ranked 1078 and Thiem was ranked 1890.

I guess one or both of them got wild cards for being Austrian as Muster played 7 tournaments that year and apart from Vienna all others were challenger tours.
Yes, then probably both got wild cards for Vienna (which was still a 250 at that time) and met in the first round. But I was fairly sure it wasn't a fully regular ATP Main Draw match as that wouldn't have been possible with their rankings at that time.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I keep finding this suggested when I'm writing movie quizzes or giving answers on here so thought I'd have a go at setting 1. Please remember I'm not as clued up on tennis as everyone else here (so it will be an easy 1) but I'll give it a go anyway. There are going to be some questions with a twist too what you won't just be able to churn out the right answer to but will have to work out. Please feel free to join in & have fun. Answers will be given in a weeks time if not worked out.

1. Who was famous for saying "you cannot be serious" & arguing with the umpire?
  2. Which Shakespeare play mentions tennis?
  3. Which famous British queen played tennis?
  4. Where is Andy Murray from? 1 point for the country of the U.K. An extra point for town.
  5. Now for questions with a twist. An easy 1 to start. The following is an anagram of which tennis players name:-
Imt Emnhan?
The next 5 questions are also going to be anagrams to unscramble.
6. hjoh cmronee
7. jobrn rbog
8. gorer defreer
9. arfale danal
10 amritan avnatrliavo

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1. John McEnroe
2. Don't know
3. Don't know
4. Dunblane, Scotland, UK
5. Tim Henman
6. John McEnroe
7. Bjorn Borg
8. Roger Federer
9. Rafael Nadal
10. Martina Navratilova

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
1. John McEnroe
2. Don't know
3. Don't know
4. Dunblane, Scotland, UK
5. Tim Henman
6. John McEnroe
7. Bjorn Borg
8. Roger Federer
9. Rafael Nadal
10. Martina Navratilova
You got 9/11 because in question 4 I said country of the U.K. & said 2 points were available. Well done! I put a lot of thought into scrambling those letters & how to rearrange them. The answer to question 2 is Henry V & the answer to question 3 is Mary Queen of Scots.

Last edited: