Some records that could be broken in 2017

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafa needs one more clay title surpass Guillermo Vilas for most clay titles of the Open Era; they're currently tied at 49. Rafa also needs four more clay Slam matches to surpass Vilas' 75.

Roger has two more Slam appearances to tie Fabrice Santoro with 70, three more to surpass as the sole leader (Roger already holds the Open Era records for most Slam titles 17, finals 27, semifinals 40, quarterfinals 48, and matches won 307).

If Roger wins one more Wimbledon or US Open, he becomes the Open Era leader in titles of those; currently he's the co-leader with Sampras for Wim (7), Connors and Sampras for the USO (5).

One more match win at Wimbledon and Roger surpasses Jimmy Connors as most match wins at Wimbledon; they're currently tied at 84.

If Novak reaches all four Slam semifinals he will tie Federer for five years in which they have reached all four semifinals; they're already the only players of the Open Era who have done it more than once (I found that surprising).

Rafa is currently the only player who has won 9 titles at any tournament; he's done it at three (Roland Garros, Monte Carlo, Barcelona). If Roger wins Halle, he will have 9 titles there.

If Rafa wins a title in 2017, it will be his 14th year in a row and he will tie Lendl for second; Roger is first with 15 years in a row (2001-15).

Novak needs one more World Tour Final to tie Roger with six.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
Rafa needs one more clay title surpass Guillermo Vilas for most clay titles of the Open Era; they're currently tied at 49.

When that happens, 3 more forgotten titles of Vilas would be acknowledged. :devil :laydownlaughing

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
I saw a note that Murray was one of the 3 (?) oldest players to get year end #1 at 29 years old.

If we assume that he or Djokovic will end this year with the #1 ranking, how close does that get either of them to being the oldest to do so?

Just missed Sir Andy's potential records on the list is all ;)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
TF, I wrote a post about that. Lendl and Agassi are the only other two 29 year old year-end ATP #1s, going back to 1973. Both were slightly older than Murray at the end of their respective years, but we're talking only a month or two.

If either Novak or Andy finish 2017 #1, they'll be the oldest YE1s of the ATP era.

Before the ATP era, there weren't computerized rankings but there were quite a few players who were 29 or older who were recognized as YE1: Laver was 31 in 1969, the first full year of the Open Era. He was possibly the best player in 1970 and 71, as well. Pancho Gonzales was a serious candidate in the late 50s, when he was in his early 30s. And of course if you go all the way back to Bill Tilden, he was probably #1 for a dozen years or so, many of them in his 30s.

Players started peaking and declining earlier starting in the 1970s. I think it has to do with the power game. Actually, the trend has been younger and younger since the early 20th century. Many of the greats of the first half of the 20th century remained elite players deep into their 30s, and some even were pretty good in their 40s.

There does seem to be a recent trend of players maintaining peak form a bit later. This could partially be because of generations, though, with a very strong older generation and a weaker younger generation.

LegendsofSport

Reactions
I'll keep on eye on these.... If Rafa can get back to anywhere near his best, a few of those top records will go. Need to stay fit first though.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
What a useless prick this Federer is, wins AO and does not break a single record...

bajana

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
mrzz said:
What a useless prick this Federer is, wins AO and does not break a single record...

Yes he does.. he broke his own record of at least 4 titles at each of three slams; now holds the record for at least 5 titles at each of three slams.

You're allowed to break your own records, no? :snicker

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Speaking of records to be broken. Obviously Rafa cannot break or even tie Roger's gs titles this year..he can break the tie between Pete and himself..Djoker can catch and pass them both. A good friend of mine said that he doesn't think that Rafa's personality permits him to want to be the all time leader..whereas Novak's wants to supplant Roger's record..Interesting,..but true..IMO

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
bajana said:
mrzz said:

Yes he does.. he broke his own record of at least 4 titles at each of three slams; now holds the record for at least 5 titles at each of three slams.

Actually he broke the most important of all, going from 17 to 18.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Speaking of records to be broken. Obviously Rafa cannot break or even tie Roger's gs titles this year..he can break the tie between Pete and himself..Djoker can catch and pass them both. A good friend of mine said that he doesn't think that Rafa's personality permits him to want to be the all time leader..whereas Novak's wants to supplant Roger's record..Interesting,..but true..IMO

Hmmmm,I would be very surprised if Novak would reach the Federer's numbers, very surprised unless the rest of the tour would play very poor because we are talking about a big difference of 6 GS

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
bajana said:
mrzz said:

Yes, you are.

Regards,
Usain Bolt

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
As Novak winning 7 more Slams, he wouldn't be the first player to do it - win 7 or more Slams after their 30th birthday. That would be Ken Rosewall, at least in the Open Era (Bill Tilden won NINE, but that was in the 20s and 30s). Still it seems very, very unlikely in the 21st century, but you just never know. But consider that is the career total of John McEnroe after an age in which many greats had already retired.

Open Era players with multiple Slams after turning 30:
7 - Ken Rosewall
4 - Rod Laver
3 - Andre Agassi
2 - Jimmy Connors, Stan Wawrinka, Roger Federer

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:

I think Rafa definitely has the personality for it. Some of his fans see that humility and think he isn't an ambitious SOB like Roger and Novak but I totally doubt that's the case. He lifts his game up to great extremes when he gets to the business end of slams and this AO was no different. If anything it's Novak's ambition going forward that may be an issue. Even if he still has his eyes set on getting to 18 and beyond it seems like a very tough task at this point. He needed to be sitting on 14 right now (win last USO and this AO) to have a decent shot at it IMO.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
the AntiPusher said:

Hmmmm,I would be very surprised if Novak would reach the Federer's numbers, very surprised unless the rest of the tour would play very poor because we are talking about a big difference of 6 GS

Novak wants the record more than Rafa does wouldn't you agree.. I think in 2013, Rafa has playing the type of tennis and had the mental strength to go for Federer's titles. When he lost to Stan at AO, he began speaking in terms of well, I won enough already so far.. I always had an issue with that statement..buts it's Rafa and he was sharing his feelings at that time..does he still feels that why, ?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafa's problem has always been maintaining the top spot in the rankings, and all that it entails. As remarkable a player as he is, it is amazing that he only has 141 weeks at #1 - that's less than half Sampras and Federer, and just a little more than half Lendl and Connors. Consider, also, how he got his weeks in terms of consecutive "reigns" - he had three periods of 39 to 56 weeks, where Roger, Novak, Sampras, Connors, and Lendl all had periods of at least 100 weeks.

As many have said, Rafa is best when he's behind. He seems to thrive on climbing, not as much on coasting.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafa's problem always has been his knee (since 2007 until 2012 when it got worse and worse and his doctor recommended him to stop and to go through an intensive treatment or his career would be finished) and therefore he missed some GS and also MS and of course many points like he did after his wrist injury. But he doesn't like to lose though he can be happy with his achievements

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Huh? Wtf? His knee was a problem till 2012 and yet he won 3 slams in 2010. I'll gladly smoke what you're smoking lol

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
His knee was never a big issue as he never needed surgery. Look to guys who had surgery if you want to mourn their loss.