Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oldest in Top 5
1. Rod Laver 1974 (36 y, 4m)
2. Jimmy Connors 1987 (35y, 3m)
3. Andre Agassi 2003 (33y, 7m)
4. Arthur Ashe 1975 (32y, 5m)
5. Roger Federer 2013 (32y, 0m)

Note that Roger is no longer in the top 5, so unless he gets back there this is the highest he'll go.

Also, on a side note, David Ferrer (31y, 4m) is just behind Ivan Lendl (31y 9m) for #7 on this list, and just ahead of McEnroe, Newcombe, and Nastase.

Oldest in Top 10
1. Ken Rosewall 1975 (41y, 1m)
2. Rod Laver 1975 (37y, 4m)
3. Jimmy Connors 1989 (36y, 7m)
4. Arthur Ashe 1979 (36y, 5m)
5. Andre Agassi 2005 (35y, 7m)
6. Ivan Lendl 1992 (32y, 9m)
7. Roger Federer 2013 (32y, 0m) - ongoing

Roger has a ways to go considering the remarkable Ken Rosewall, who was the only player to be in the top 50 past the age of 40 (Connors was age 39y 3m when he dropped out of the top 50; he was in the top 100 after 40 - Rosewall and Connors being the only two in ATP history).

Roger has a good chance of passing Lendl, but it might be hard to get into the top five - he'd have to be in the top 10 in April of 2017! To put Rosewall in context, for Roger to pass him as the oldest player in ATP history to be in the top 10, Roger would have to be there in October of 2022 - nine years from now! This is one of a few reasons why I think Ken Rosewall may be the most under-appreciated all-time great player in tennis history. His statistics really stand up there with Laver, Gonzales, Federer, and Sampras for legimitate GOAT candidates, but that's another conversation...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafael Nadal has won at least one major every year for nine years! That broke the record he shared with Roger, Pete and Borg with eight years. Now that is a helluva record--to win at least one slam 8 or 9 consecutive years. Wow!

(Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but Fed did win at least one slam--usually at least two per year--over almost a decade).

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
i'm pretty sure jimmy Connors was top 10 rank until late april l/ early may 1989..age 36yrs 8months,

however, I have not checked the world rank charts on him for a bit so I could be wrong (doubt it though.:D), I look later and get back to you..

jimmy Connors was the Sachin Tendulkar of tennis :p..but he still wont be in my all time world test cricket side..>>britbox, keep the cricket thread warm :idea:

anyhow jimmy Connors ..in a bit..

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger will be back in top 5 next year. So he should climb a little further on the list

Mog

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
britbox said:
No room for Tendulkar in a World XI? Look forward to seeing your selection!
Sachin Tandulker is the cricket, best of all time.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
i'm pretty sure jimmy Connors was top 10 rank until late april l/ early may 1989..age 36yrs 8months,

however, I have not checked the world rank charts on him for a bit so I could be wrong (doubt it though.:D), I look later and get back to you..

jimmy Connors was the Sachin Tendulkar of tennis :p..but he still wont be in my all time world test cricket side..>>britbox, keep the cricket thread warm :idea:

anyhow jimmy Connors ..in a bit..

What WHat .. no World XI is complete till you have Tendulkar in it ...be it test , one-day or 20-20.. (umm ok I will pass on 20-20)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Roger will be back in top 5 next year. So he should climb a little further on the list

That's the spirit, Darth! :clap

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Rafael Nadal has won at least one major every year for nine years! That broke the record he shared with Roger, Pete and Borg with eight years. Now that is a helluva record--to win at least one slam 8 or 9 consecutive years. Wow!

(Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but Fed did win at least one slam--usually at least two per year--over almost a decade).

I was actually about to post the same thing about Rafa when read your post . What's most amazing is that it would not be surprising for him to do this for at LEAST another 2 years. That's just phenomenal.

And it's even more amazing when I recall that I thought his knee problems would end his career before he got to 500 wins. And that was a long time ago...

Now I don't know if he'll catch Roger at 17 majors, but tying or passing Pete seems a given. Some might argue his accomplishments already put him on par with Pete, who must be in a state of disbelief that his 14 slams might only be third best within 12 years of his retirement.

Cheers

TM

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
No room for Tendulkar in a World XI? Look forward to seeing your selection!

well its a tough one.. :p thats why there is a delay in my poasting,

the selectors are still in conference.. :D

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the thread is fine el dude...

Connors was indeed in the world top 10 rank in late april 1989..

he stopped his continuous top 10 run in October 1988 which is what you might have picked up on..he went down to 11 then another few months in top 10..before his final decline.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
DarthFed said:

Brother , he will be defending practically nothing next year:D...he should get to number 1 and we can party then...:clap

:clap:clap:clap

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
DarthFed said:

Brother , he will be defending practically nothing next year:D...he should get to number 1 and we can party then...:clap

I will join the party as well when the great one goes back to number 1. He will need to reach only the quarter-finals of the tournaments he enters to go back to number 1.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
general el dude can you do a similar thread for doubles?

I know it will take some research so no hurry mate. take your time.

jimmy`s top 20 for 2 decades is absolutely off the charts.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
the thread is fine el dude...

Connors was indeed in the world top 10 rank in late april 1989..

he stopped his continuous top 10 run in October 1988 which is what you might have picked up on..he went down to 11 then another few months in top 10..before his final decline.

I actually got the info from here:

http://www.tennis28.com/index.html

But you're right - Connors was in the top 10 until the new rankings of May 1, 1989, so he should be 36y, 7m, close to 8m, and thus ahead of Ashe. I'll adjust the first post.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Its also worth noting that if Tommy Haas does well at the US Open he has a chance of making the top 10 at age 35, 5m or so, which would put past Lendl. Go Tommy!

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tommy is going to be top 10 sooner or later. he is working hard for that goal.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
El Dude said:
Oldest in Top 5
1. Rod Laver '74 (36 y,4m)
2. Jimmy Connors '87 (35y,3m)
3. Andre Agassi '03 (33y,7m)
4. Arthur Ashe '75 (32y,5m)
5. Roger Federer '13 (32y,0m)

Note that Roger is no longer in the top 5, so unless he gets back there this is the highest he'll go.

Also, on a side note, David Ferrer (31y, 4m) is just behind Ivan Lendl (31y 9m) for #7 on this list, and just ahead of McEnroe, Newcombe, and Nastase.

Oldest in Top 10
1. Ken Rosewall '75 (41y,1m)
2. Rod Laver '75 (37y, 4m)
3. Jimmy Connors '89 (36y,7m)
4. Arthur Ashe '79 (36y,5m)
5. Andre Agassi '05 (35y,7m)
6. Ivan Lendl '92 (32y,9m)
7. Roger Federer '13 (32y,0m) - ongoing

Roger has a ways to go considering the remarkable Ken Rosewall, who was the only player to be in the top 50 past the age of 40 (Connors was age 39y 3m when he dropped out of the top 50; he was in the top 100 after 40 - Rosewall and Connors being the only two in ATP history).

Roger has a good chance of passing Lendl, but it might be hard to get into the top five - he'd have to be in the top 10 in April of 2017! To put Rosewall in context, for Roger to pass him as the oldest player in ATP history to be in the top 10, Roger would have to be there in Oct '22 - nine years from now! This is one of a few reasons why I think Ken Rosewall may be the most under-appreciated all-time great player in tennis history. His statistics really stand up there with Laver, Gonzales, Federer, and Sampras for legimitate GOAT candidates, but that's another conversation...

...and with no lives! They had nothing better to do but hang on and continue to play tennis on the tour! Reminds me of football players in their mid to late 30's getting bashed in the head, sunday after sunday, only to wonder why they're so broken down! I was beginning to feel the same about Navratilova, but she was winning until her last days; in doubles anyway, taking the '06 USO MD title with Paez! They of course are freaks of nature and you can't expect many to sustain that level so late in life! Roger won't be around for much longer, so we better appreciate him for now! Baseliners like Nole, Rafa, and Andy won't last like Lendl who wasn't pushed as hard as these guys are now! They're already breaking down and it's hard to watch! They work so hard to win a single match! :rolleyes: :nono :angel:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
DarthFed said:

Unlike 2011-2012.. If Rafa stays healthy, Federer has several reason why he will not be number 1 again.

1.The top 3 guys(Djoker, Rafa and Murray) are younger, hungrier and just playing better tennis player than Roger.
2. The guys in the next tier(JMDP, jowillieTs and Berdych) all have beaten Roger in Grand Slam tournament and the allure of Roger Federer doesn't make them "wet their panties" like it still currently does Ferrer.
3. Father Time.. As so many so proclaimed prophets such as Charles Barkley, is undefeated.. The back has been nagging for a few years and it will not get better, Fed can only hope that he can manage his discomfort especially in chilly conditions.