Please help me to see Federer live!

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
I went to Cincy last year only to find out that Fed didn't participate so that was a massive disappointment.

Now I'm desperate to see him play live so could someone please tell me what I should be doing? Should I get Rd2 tickets(as Rd1 is a walkover) or QF/SF/F tickets? It seems its not possible to directly buy a Federer ticket so I'm confused what I should be doing :(

Could someone suggest how I can guarantee watching Federer?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Cincy is your closest, I would recommend getting tickets for 2 days in a row, early rounds. As you say, he'll get a bye the first round, but will play one of two days, if you figure it right. That's how I figure seeing Rafa at the USO. Go two days in a row. Plus, if Cincy has access to practice courts, you could see him practice, which is almost better than watching them play, as you can see them hit from so close up. Also, if you're close enough to Chicago, there's Laver Cup.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
If Cincy is your closest, I would recommend getting tickets for 2 days in a row, early rounds. As you say, he'll get a bye the first round, but will play one of two days, if you figure it right. That's how I figure seeing Rafa at the USO. Go two days in a row. Plus, if Cincy has access to practice courts, you could see him practice, which is almost better than watching them play, as you can see them hit from so close up. Also, if you're close enough to Chicago, there's Laver Cup.

Thanks Moxie. I hope you get to see Nadal play. My concern is what if Fed skips Cincy? At what point will I know if he's going to play in Cincy?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks Moxie. I hope you get to see Nadal play. My concern is what if Fed skips Cincy? At what point will I know if he's going to play in Cincy?
Obviously, there are no guarantees. However, based on last year, I think we'd all say that he's likely to play Cincy and skip Canada. (Ask @DarthFed re: this.) Even if he only plays one tune-up before the USO, and he may, it's likely to be Cincinnati. If you can hold off buying tickets until early August (during Roger's Cup in Canada,) that would be the likeliest chance to be sure. You should know by then if he's really in for Cincy. And if you get tickets for the early rounds, you won't miss him. Another thing you can do is wait for the schedule to come out, and just get a ticket for when you know he's playing. But you might get sold out. Top players with a bye always start on Tues/Wed. If you got tickets for Wed. and Thursday of that week, I would think it was nearly impossible that you wouldn't see him play, if he plays Cincy. Does that make sense?

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Obviously, there are no guarantees. However, based on last year, I think we'd all say that he's likely to play Cincy and skip Canada. (Ask @DarthFed re: this.) Even if he only plays one tune-up before the USO, and he may, it's likely to be Cincinnati. If you can hold off buying tickets until early August (during Roger's Cup in Canada,) that would be the likeliest chance to be sure. You should know by then if he's really in for Cincy. And if you get tickets for the early rounds, you won't miss him. Another thing you can do is wait for the schedule to come out, and just get a ticket for when you know he's playing. But you might get sold out. Top players with a bye always start on Tues/Wed. If you got tickets for Wed. and Thursday of that week, I would think it was nearly impossible that you wouldn't see him play, if he plays Cincy. Does that make sense?

Believe it or not the tickets for day 2 and day 3 are starting to sell out so I don't think I'll be able to wait till August. :(

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Believe it or not the tickets for day 2 and day 3 are starting to sell out so I don't think I'll be able to wait till August. :(
Well, Roger's not getting any younger, and you're probably not alone in wanting to see him play. You could get 1 or 2 seats for each of the Thurs and Fri., and then plan on selling them on Craig's List or something, depending on how things pan out.