Nick Bollettieri: ´Djokovic is the most perfect player I´ve ever seen and best in tennis history'

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting thoughts.... originally on TT Tennis Warehouse.

Interviewed in Rio de Janeiro during the ATP/WTA Tournament, Nick Bollettieri spoke about the Fab three, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.

About Djokovic:
According to the American coach, the Serb wants the Career Grand Slam so bad: 'Djokovic has Roland Garros in his mind'. He analyzed his game too: I've been coaching for 60 years and he is the most perfect player that I have never seen, it's difficult to find a weakness. I would say that Djokovic is the best of the history in terms of game. If he succeeds to win three, four, five Grand Slam, there will be Sampras or Federer, he will be there.'

About Nadal :
'Nowadays players want to face him - he said speaking about his crisis - before it wasn't like this. When you lose you have fear. No one knows what he has in his mind, sometimes he has not done well, but now he is improving, improving, but clay will not allow him to be at the top again, he has to win on hard and grass'

About Federer :
On Roger's chances to win a Grand Slam against Djokovic: 'If I were Djokovic and played against Federer I would have let him win one (he laughs). Federer is so important for the sport, he respects the opponent, the family, helps his foundation. Federer is Federer, something you cannot teach.'

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Nick-...en-Agassi-could-help-Nadal-articolo30250.html

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Honestly, the quotes speak for themselves. Bolltettieri is like every other blowhard commentator on tennis. Djokovic is the flavor of now. Wasn't Roger the most perfect player 10 years ago? David Foster Wallace (no less) declared him a "religious experience." I'm thinking that if tennis were actually a religion, it would not be especially faithful. Is Djokovic actually that much better than Federer, (or Nadal), or is memory just very short?

Reactions: Tennis Fan

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Some people just like to go with the moment, but the future is uncertain and also their opinions :eek: :(

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Well Nole practically does not have any weaknesses, if he is fresh and playing well. Even the weakest parts of his game (serve) has become such a great weapon and reliable too. I think that is what most people refer to when they say the most perfect player. I know you are getting sick of it, Moxie, but I think that what he is doing is amazing and he wasn't given respect and recognition for a long time, so maybe some of these coaches and commentators are finally clueing in. :drums:

Rafa is still king of clay.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Interesting thoughts.... originally on TT Tennis Warehouse.

Interviewed in Rio de Janeiro during the ATP/WTA Tournament, Nick Bollettieri spoke about the Fab three, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.

About Djokovic:
According to the American coach, the Serb wants the Career Grand Slam so bad: 'Djokovic has Roland Garros in his mind'. He analyzed his game too: I've been coaching for 60 years and he is the most perfect player that I have never seen, it's difficult to find a weakness. I would say that Djokovic is the best of the history in terms of game. If he succeeds to win three, four, five Grand Slam, there will be Sampras or Federer, he will be there.'

About Nadal :
'Nowadays players want to face him - he said speaking about his crisis - before it wasn't like this. When you lose you have fear. No one knows what he has in his mind, sometimes he has not done well, but now he is improving, improving, but clay will not allow him to be at the top again, he has to win on hard and grass'

About Federer :
On Roger's chances to win a Grand Slam against Djokovic: 'If I were Djokovic and played against Federer I would have let him win one (he laughs). Federer is so important for the sport, he respects the opponent, the family, helps his foundation. Federer is Federer, something you cannot teach.'

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Nick-...en-Agassi-could-help-Nadal-articolo30250.html

but now he is improving, improving.... what he is talking about?

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
but now he is improving, improving.... what he is talking about?

The main target of improvement for 2015 was his 1st and 2nd serve. Which he accomplished well, I think. Now they are working on his net game, his volleying and shortening of the points. He won't be able to always go deep in every single tournament that he plays, but if he can somehow shorten the points, games, that will go a long way for lengthening his career. Then they follow the innovations in tennis equipment, conditioning, every little bit of staying current and sometimes ahead of time helps.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well Nole practically does not have any weaknesses, if he is fresh and playing well. Even the weakest parts of his game (serve) has become such a great weapon and reliable too. I think that is what most people refer to when they say the most perfect player. I know you are getting sick of it, Moxie, but I think that what he is doing is amazing and he wasn't given respect and recognition for a long time, so maybe some of these coaches and commentators are finally clueing in. :drums:

Nole doesn't have any weaknesses at the moment. But that has not always been the case. As I said, this is his time. I'm not "sick of it," Billie, but I'm trying to remind folks that a couple of years ago it was either Fed or Rafa that everyone was singing the praises of. Is Djokovic actually better, or is just the best, right now? This gets us to the GOAT argument, which I don't subscribe to. Djokovic is the best for now. That's enough of a legacy. I really do think it's hard to compare the best of Fed v. the best of Nadal v. the best of Djokovic. They were better for different reasons, at different times, and it's not easy to compare them, even as close as they are in eras.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The main target of improvement for 2015 was his 1st and 2nd serve. Which he accomplished well, I think. Now they are working on his net game, his volleying and shortening of the points. He won't be able to always go deep in every single tournament that he plays, but if he can somehow shorten the points, games, that will go a long way for lengthening his career. Then they follow the innovations in tennis equipment, conditioning, every little bit of staying current and sometimes ahead of time helps.

The only thing Rafa has to improve is to bring back his confidence, then his shots, serve an net game will work much better :-)2

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Moxie, I was not aware that Rafa and Fed were ever crowned the most complete players ever, even in their hay day. Rafa was always king of clay, which he will be always for me, relentless, ferocious FH, spin that he puts on his balls. Roger was mostly the most elegant, graceful player, the best offensive player, which is fair also. Maybe 10 years ago they were saying that Roger had the most complete game, I don't know. But this is now. Nick had elaborate essay about every single facet of Nole's game a couple of years ago, where he explained exactly how he rated them.

I don't know what else to say. We know that Nole doesn't have media singing his praises as easily as Rafa and Fed have, so I don't see any ulterior motives in their praises?

I am certain that in future we will have some other player that will be crowned the best, maybe go on a rampage and blow Fed, Rafa and Nole off with his game and his dominance, shatter all their records. I wouldn't bet against it, frankly, with the way how tennis game changes.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie, I was not aware that Rafa and Fed were ever crowned the most complete players ever, even in their hay day. Rafa was always king of clay, which he will be always for me, relentless, ferocious FH, spin that he puts on his balls. Roger was mostly the most elegant, graceful player, the best offensive player, which is fair also. Maybe 10 years ago they were saying that Roger had the most complete game, I don't know. But this is now. Nick had elaborate essay about every single facet of Nole's game a couple of years ago, where he explained exactly how he rated them.

I don't know what else to say. We know that Nole doesn't have media singing his praises as easily as Rafa and Fed have, so I don't see any ulterior motives in their praises?

I am certain that in future we will have some other player that will be crowned the best, maybe go on a rampage and blow Fed, Rafa and Nole off with his game and his dominance, shatter all their records. I wouldn't bet against it, frankly, with the way how tennis game changes.
We could quibble on Rafa, but you're kidding me on Roger, right? Yes, this is now. But all I'm saying is: Nick, like every other pundit has a short memory. They were brilliant in different moments in time, they were brilliant against each other, and no, I don't think you can completely compare them. They're very different players, though they will all be hall-of-famers. And I don't think you can hold out Nole as the "singular" best or most complete. That's a statement for the moment, and riding the train. Certainly he is the dominant player right now, and has a very complete game. It has not always been the case, but this is now.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Yeah, Nick is like 100 years old. He is losing his mind, I think.:lulz1:

Reactions: Moxie

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

clueing in? so you actually buy that hype... not surprised. Most of the dominant players had this kind of crown before, Sampras and Fed had that even more than Djokovic. Seems you are a very recent tennis fan, otherwise you'd known a lot better than what you have shown.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
We could quibble on Rafa, but you're kidding me on Roger, right? Yes, this is now. But all I'm saying is: Nick, like every other pundit has a short memory. They were brilliant in different moments in time, they were brilliant against each other, and no, I don't think you can completely compare them. They're very different players, though they will all be hall-of-famers. And I don't think you can hold out Nole as the "singular" best or most complete. That's a statement for the moment, and riding the train. Certainly he is the dominant player right now, and has a very complete game. It has not always been the case, but this is now.

Billie not aware that Fed ever been crowned the most complete... that explains why she posts such things. She is never happy unless we all conclusively and in absolute terms crown Nole as the most perfect, the best, and the most complete ever, and ever after.

Except i can't support that when i still see that a 34 yo still has enough game to beat him occasionally (like 3 times last year).

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I know you've always been a fan of mine, Ricardo. :drums: Yeah, I am a new tennis fan, I can't remember much before Borg.

Sorry but there are some of us who don't think that your idol is best in everything. Apparently Nick doesn't think so neither.

Fed is elegant and has a great forehand, slice, but that is not enough. Plus he really stood out during 2004-2007 so everything probably looked even better compared to his competition at the time. I think a lot of people are still stuck living in those tennis years.

That backhand alone puts him behind for the title of the most complete player ever. How many times in a match a player hits a BH, compared to oh let's say an overhead? A whole lot more, so which shot is more important? Isn't it the reason why Rafa has always had an edge over Fed? I also think that Fed is behind in defence and mental resolve right after Rafa and Nole.

Please don't mention serve and volley, very few players do it constantly and I think that Fed tried it a few times and would get passed more often than not. If he were any more successful, I am sure he would exploit it more. He is a smart guy.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fed is elegant and has a great forehand, slice, but that is not enough.

Billie, seriously?! Did you just reduce Federer to a FH and a slice? That's beneath you. There has been quite a fashion of late for denigrating Roger's backhand. The main reason is that Nadal...and basically only Nadal...was able to exploit it so famously, and from early on. At 34, it's not as reliable, and neither is his FH, but another reason is that it gets compared, now, to Djokovic's BH, which is Novak's better shot. But this is apples and oranges, across eras. It its day, Fed's bh was a beauty and a weapon. It's still not bad. I won't reiterate the litany that others have said over Roger's other shots...his serve placement, his net game, etc. Hell, I don't know why I'm defending Federer, but honestly....

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Billie, seriously?! Did you just reduce Federer to a FH and a slice? That's beneath you. There has been quite a fashion of late for denigrating Roger's backhand. The main reason is that Nadal...and basically only Nadal...was able to exploit it so famously, and from early on. At 34, it's not as reliable, and neither is his FH, but another reason is that it gets compared, now, to Djokovic's BH, which is Novak's better shot. But this is apples and oranges, across eras. It its day, Fed's bh was a beauty and a weapon. It's still not bad. I won't reiterate the litany that others have said over Roger's other shots...his serve placement, his net game, etc. Hell, I don't know why I'm defending Federer, but honestly....

Gee....I assumed that it was implied that Fed has many tennis qualities, but those are Fed things that have always been considered the best of all players, wicked forehand and mean slice. Still are, at least for me. Why don't you first ask if it wasn't clear before accusing me? :cry:

No his backhand was never his greatest weapon or the reason why he was winning before. While Fed's serve is a great weapon, would you say it is the greatest in history? I would take Sampras, Ivanisevic, Karlovic, even Isner first. Serve placement? He still gets broken plenty of times.

You never replied about the defence and mental resolve. How about his return game? Would you rate Fed #1 in these categories?

LOL People are so touchy when it comes to praising somebody other than the 2 goats, why do I even bother.:nono:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Given the title of the thread, I didn't think it was incumbent on me to ask if you meant to imply other attributes to Roger than a meager two.

To respond to your other, I do think both Rafa and Nole are better defenders, but I don't think Novak is ahead of Federer in mental resolve. (And while Rafa is somewhere in the weeds with his confidence, at the moment, I think he's been better than both of them on mental fortitude for most of his career.) What some call confidence in Roger and some of us call "arrogance," Federer has a tremendous amount of optimism/self-belief. I think Novak is an emotional player, and can get dismayed rather too quickly. He is very easy to start shaking his head, looking to the heavens and wondering at his luck, even when he's miles ahead. He was doing it against Malek Jaziri the other day, and he beat him 2 and 1. It's all fine when his confidence is high, and he's a country mile ahead of the pack. But when the pack starts nipping more at his heels, and his game comes more down to Earth, I think it will be one of his short-comings again. He relies a lot on confidence, and he shows it when it slips.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Gee....I assumed that it was implied that Fed has many tennis qualities, but those are Fed things that have always been considered the best of all players, wicked forehand and mean slice. Still are, at least for me. Why don't you first ask if it wasn't clear before accusing me? :cry:

No his backhand was never his greatest weapon or the reason why he was winning before. While Fed's serve is a great weapon, would you say it is the greatest in history? I would take Sampras, Ivanisevic, Karlovic, even Isner first. Serve placement? He still gets broken plenty of times.

You never replied about the defence and mental resolve. How about his return game? Would you rate Fed #1 in these categories?

LOL People are so touchy when it comes to praising somebody other than the 2 goats, why do I even bother.:nono:

I don't think the thread is meant to reduce players to what they are best at. What would we say Nole is best at? I'd say the ROS and backhand are the only shots he has that are best on tour. Nole is now the best mover and defensive player on tour in large part because Nadal lost a lot of his movement the past few years. If Rafa of 04-09 moved and defended like he currently does we'd have considered Roger the best in both of those categories too.

The all-around category can be interpreted a couple ways, the player with the fewest or no weaknesses (this is undoubtedly Nole not only now but for all of history), or the player who is strong in most categories (this is Roger historically but probably not now, given his loss in movement and ability to transition from defense to offense as well as a huge weakness in ROS. I'd say Djokovic now).

Reactions: britbox

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
I know you've always been a fan of mine, Ricardo. :drums: Yeah, I am a new tennis fan, I can't remember much before Borg.

Sorry but there are some of us who don't think that your idol is best in everything. Apparently Nick doesn't think so neither.

Fed is elegant and has a great forehand, slice, but that is not enough. Plus he really stood out during 2004-2007 so everything probably looked even better compared to his competition at the time. I think a lot of people are still stuck living in those tennis years.

That backhand alone puts him behind for the title of the most complete player ever. How many times in a match a player hits a BH, compared to oh let's say an overhead? A whole lot more, so which shot is more important? Isn't it the reason why Rafa has always had an edge over Fed? I also think that Fed is behind in defence and mental resolve right after Rafa and Nole.

Please don't mention serve and volley, very few players do it constantly and I think that Fed tried it a few times and would get passed more often than not. If he were any more successful, I am sure he would exploit it more. He is a smart guy.

This is a really good post, Billie. I don't believe in the best thing either, but you did a great job of nailing the deficiencies in everyone's game, and why Nole can be considered the most complete player. He has amazing defense, you can't get a ball past him. He has the aggressiveness, and in recent years he has tackled the mental part of the game and now he has that too. Not to mention that he's adding to his game. The only thing about tennis is that every year there's a new phenom. I think it's going to be interesting how this era is described years from now, so many times what we hear now becomes obsolete in the next generation. Still, great post and thoughtful too.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions

LOL, my son says sports fans are the worst.