Kozlov and Klein: Empty Confidence Tanks

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions

Two favorite players of this site are Stefan Kozlov and Bryden Klein. Both Klein and Kozlov are personable, approachable, engaging players trying to carve out ATP careers.

But both are struggling right now with confidence issues. Klein lost a heartbreaking 76 in the third set at US Open qualies first round to France’s Vincent Millot after squandering a match point. Since then, Klein has lost in the first round to a teenager Will Blumberg in the Cary, North Carolina Challenger and this week he lost a three setter to the top seed in the opening round of the Columbus Challenger. It’s probably safe to conclude that Klein is at a low point of his career right now, with a confidence tank at empty.

Kozlov lost at US Open qualies first round to Guido Andreeozi in straight sets and has not played a match since, which suggests either an injury or taking a breather. This year Kozlov, now ranked at 144 after hitting 115 in February, has gone 2-9 in ATP main draw matches. He’s had wildcards into many events and failed to capitalize on the opportunities, losing in straight sets to Querrey in Cincy, Bambri by retirement in Washington, 57 67 to Halys in Atlanta as a qualifier, first round loss in Newport to Menendez Maceiras. Two of his best wins came on grass vs Steve Johnson at Queens and Dustin Brown in s’Hertogenbosch.

Kozlov and Klein, two players struggling to establish themselves in the world’s most fiercely contested playground, the ATP World Tour.

markowitz

Reactions
Dan Markowitz writes:

Klein was clearly distraught after losing to Millot if 1st rd of Qualis. He'd played a gutsy match, battling through vertigo to get match points. He wrote this email to me afterward: Hey Dan, Thanks for the support at the Open. Sorry I completely forgot to reply to your last email. I flew overnight on Saturday and completely forgot to respond. I was so upset after the Millot match that I rushed off and booked a flight and got straight out of NY. I hope you had a good time at Q's! I feel for Klein. Even the coach who was helping him out at the Open was not his personal coach, but just a coach with the British Tennis Federation. He didn't even really know Brydan's game. That's tough.

markowitz

Reactions
Dan Markowitz writes:

Yes he was with the LTA, I think, and it's Dan, Catherine. It's just like a USTA coach helping an American player. Klein obviously doesn't rank high enough to have his own LTA coach, the way a Tiafoe has his own USTA coach, but since Klein was playing in the Open qualis and there was an LTA coach available, he coached Klein during that match.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

kerber not doing well, she's doing what we expect her to do. She just had a major slump of poor substandard results. But it is nice to see her back at the level or near the level that she is capable of. Now she has ample incentive to show the world the real Kerber again.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine; I have not seen any of Laver Cup yet but I can say Hopman Cup and IPTL are two excellent events and two of my favorites believe it or not. And they are not just silly exos, they are serious. I saw Hewitt yelling comeons at full intensity in his IPTL doubles match two years ago. I love the team aspect and seeing the team chemistry and the mix of retired vets blending with the current ATP WTA players. The tennis is seriously competitive enough. These players always want to win once the match starts. I'm sure Laver Cup will be a big hit and a lot of fun. Mardy Fish got into it pretty heated this year in WTT with Donald Young, Rick Leach and Rajeev Ram, and Paes and McEnroe butted heads a few years ago. Even WTT is seriously intense at times. Exos have a bad rap of being just for fun jokes but that is a #fakenews myth.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine; The players love the team aspects of IPTL and WTT. And this Laver Cup. Kiki Bertens smiled all through IPTL and she is s stone face during the tour season. I mentioned this to her in Miami and she and her coach Ramon Sluiter laughed about it and agreed. I think the players really relax and enjoy these team exo and the fans love it and see a different side of the players, the fun side but also they still play incredible tennis in the light atmosphere, perhaps they play even better in a way. IPTL and Hopman proved to me that team exos are really special for the players and it would not be a mistake to create more of such events. Instead of the same old same old. Especially at the year end post US Open when the Tours are tired and drained and the only thing left that really matters is the race to no. 1.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

jg: Are you alluding there is some carrying going on? :) A bunch of 62 63s would be an event killer.