Here's what Stefan Edberg probably told Roger Federer

stefanstennis

Reactions
As you probably already know, Roger Federer announced two days ago that he spent a week of training with his idol Stefan Edberg.

In this interview from December 2008 from the French magazine Grand Chelem, the Swede former world number one describes how, in his opinion, Roger should play against Rafael Nadal to have better chances to beat him.

Are these the tips he gave him in their training meeting?

Read the English translation here --> http://bit.ly/1fEEPL3
Also read my editorial on STE...fans (tribute site to Stefan Edberg) on what this meeting might mean for both --> http://bit.ly/1bYh6EX

2008_grand_chelem_stefan_edberg_roger_federer_01.jpg

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
There is this weird trend among legends of the game to instruct Roger on the need to serve and volley, that he should do it more etc. We used to hear this back in 2005, 2006 as well (when he was going in a little less than he used too, and where his results had risen as a result).

My theory is that he is the player that is most aesthetically similar to their own games and to the tennis of the 80s and 90s, and they see themselves in him.

I also think that given the results of the past decade, that they should know better by now. The ATP is full of baseliners not b/c there aren't any good S/Vers left (amongst the tens of thousands of juniors that have appeared in recent times), it's simply b/c that style of play doesn't get it done anymore, full stop period.

Invariably when you see the good ones try that tactic (Federer, Llodra, Stepanek etc) it works for a little while, then the opponent zeros in on the return, and they end up with far too many difficult hold games. Even at the end of the 90s, I think if people were honest they were seeing not so much the success of S/V perse, but rather the fact that many of the best s/vers where also simply the best servers.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It would be interesting to hear Stefan's thoughts on Fed's Nadal conundrum as it stands now (although personally, I believe the boat sailed a while ago).

stefanstennis

Reactions
Here's the original interview with Stefan ‪‎Edberg‬ by the website of Swedish daily SvD, translated into English. Stefan talks about the week of training camp with Roger ‎Federer‬ and explains if and how their technical partnership could develop in the future.

Read the English translation here --> http://bit.ly/1dRM7ZW

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Just to be clear, Roger's hitting with Stefan for a week, like he's done previously with Hewitt and others, but this article suggests something more formal is happening, something like the new team-up of Becker and Djokovic.

Roger Federer wants to get back to the top with Stefan Edberg's help. SvD can reveal today that the 17 -time Grand Slam champion requested Edberg's services for next season.

So is Stefan becoming Roger's coach? It's another interesting move, if he is. First Connors, then Lendl, now Becker and Edberg.

I think a lot of stars of the past are probably sitting by the phone wondering when Rafa will ring!

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Just to be clear, Roger's hitting with Stefan for a week, like he's done previously with Hewitt and others, but this article suggests something more formal is happening, something like the new team-up of Becker and Djokovic.

Roger Federer wants to get back to the top with Stefan Edberg's help. SvD can reveal today that the 17 -time Grand Slam champion requested Edberg's services for next season.

So is Stefan becoming Roger's coach? It's another interesting move, if he is. First Connors, then Lendl, now Becker and Edberg.

I think a lot of stars of the past are probably sitting by the phone wondering when Rafa will ring!

Don't worry Kieran, in a couple of days Rafa will call Bjorn Borg or John McEnroe so the "reunion" will be fully complete:laydownlaughing

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:
Don't worry Kieran, in a couple of days Rafa will call Bjorn Borg or John McEnroe so the "reunion" will be fully complete:laydownlaughing

Rafa and Pete - then I'll just die! ;)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel that Edberg-Fed combo has better chance of success than Becker-Novak Combo.
This is not be perceived as me saying Fed will have better results than Novak in 2014,
which will not happen. All that I am saying is Edberg will probably be able to help Fed
more than Becker will be able to help Novak. I base this on gut feeling and not on logic.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Edberg-Federer combo would bring together two of my all time favorites , but I am not exactly sure how it would help Roger.

There is something to be said for a new voice. And the Federer camp tends to be particularly insular. I like that Roger is open to a fresh perspective, right now.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'ld be surprised if Stefan became Youngderer's coach, once he said that he was happy not to travel all over the world anymore and be able to stay with his family
Did he change his mind ???

stefanstennis

Reactions
Interesting article about the Edberg-Federer partnership and Djokovic hiring Becker as new head coach.

Read the English translation here --> http://bit.ly/19YbcQd

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
One thing I am sure is that Nalbandian will never be hired by JMDP as his coach.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I feel that Edberg-Fed combo has better chance of success than Becker-Novak Combo.
This is not be perceived as me saying Fed will have better results than Novak in 2014,
which will not happen. All that I am saying is Edberg will probably be able to help Fed
more than Becker will be able to help Novak. I base this on gut feeling and not on logic.

I've always preferred gut to synthetic! ;)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
One thing I am sure is that Nalbandian will never be hired by JMDP as his coach.

You can't teach that level of aesthetic brilliance and talent anyway.